tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find it ? Seems it wouldn't be ancient being it was carved with what looks like very sharp steel chisels. But maybe some native American did carve it within the last 3 decades having access to modern tools.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dean908

Dec 14, 2023
Did you find it ? Seems it wouldn't be ancient being it was carved with what looks like very sharp steel chisels. But maybe some native American did carve it within the last 3 decades having access to modern tools.
My dad and his friend found them, there were 2. The other one was similar, but kind of joker looking.

Hunter1805

Dec 3, 2005
NY
Detector(s) used
E Track, Fisher 6a
You have a False Face Mask these are associated with healing ceremonies, a carved "FALSE FACE MASK" is worn to represent spirits in an ancient tobacco burning and prayer ritual. These are carved in living trees, then cut free to be painted and decorated. These can be very valuable and I have seen many sell for over $10,000.00 . The problem now is that they are considered very religious to the Iroquois, Seneca and Onondaga, False Face Tradition. Most all museums have returned them to the native Americans. I would be very interested in the one you have should you wish to part with it.... I would like to know what area you found it, General Area. These are associated with the False Face Society where rituals are performed twice a year. The ceremony contains a telling of the "False Face" myth, an invocation to the spirits using tobacco.

Joecoins

Mar 21, 2016
PEI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was very interesting. I am Coming back to it as I think I found one on eBay.
I'll share it when I can. I would like to know more about the different faces.
Anybody else got one?

Mostly I'd like to share and learn more about these similar Swiss masks...
Anyone ever heard of

Tschäggättä
Screenshot_20240324-013409.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was very interesting. I am Coming back to it as I think I found one on eBay.
I'll share it when I can. I would like to know more about the different faces.
Anybody else got one?

Mostly I'd like to share and learn more about these similar Swiss masks...
Anyone ever heard of

Tschäggättä View attachment 2139207

Joe please start new thread on one of our other forums, this is American Indian Artifact forum.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread