is this normal depth for tigershark?

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
whites 5900, Tesoro Tiger Shark on order
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have now used my new Tesoro tiger shark on about ten hunts or so. It seems like if it detects anything deeper than approx. 3.4 to 4 inches , it will be a piece of metal the size of your palm. Yesterday hunting a river, I used my Garrett carrot to push a good size silver ring exactly 5 inches down and the tiger did not hit it in disc. mode even with it turned down to zero. It did hit it in all metal mode but very barely. I have not tried to adjust the sensitivity. and I am carful about ground balancing. Does this sound like normal performance for this machine?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a Chinese "Tiger Shark" off of Ebay

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well guys, thank you for your responses. I guess the machine is just is what it is. I think I am going to sell it quick and look for something with more depth. but this time I am not going buy on the internet, I am going to find a dealer that has a test garden.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I am going to sell it quick and look for something with more depth. but this time I am not going buy on the internet, I am going to find a dealer that has a test garden.

Crap- I guess I'm going to have to put you on ignore until you get it sold. I don't want no stinking Chinese piece of junk...

Remember- you have to be a Charter member to see on TN.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is unusually low depth for a Tiger Shark. I use mine in the sand and in the water and have dug many coins in the 6-8 inch range. I would give Tesoro a phone call. Any issues with ground balancing it?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like what SusanMN says.
Although, I personally would forego calling Tesoro and call Minelab immediately! ;)
GL
Peace ✌

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I dare ask where you purchased and for how much?
Peace ✌

With the coil cover it came to around 680. I got the 10.5 coil. I got it from metaldetector.com. They are great guys , and I have bought other stuff from them as well, but next time I am going to have to do a side by side comparison and I think it would be really rude to use a brick and mortar store to make my decision and then buy from someone else. I figure I will do side by side and just trade my tiger shark in with the dealer on my new machine if I decide to buy. There is a dealer a couple of hours from here that sells all the machines I am thinking about and Tesoros as well so I guess we can work something out.
I suppose I could experiment with the sensitivity screw but I have read on TN that getting it back to factory preset is a real pain so I think I will just leave that for the next owner to play around with.
And I am not bashing Tesoro since the other machines I will be looking at are twice the price or more. But I think I would rather hit the ring at 8 inches and miss a tiny gold something at one or two then miss the ring entirely at five or six. I just thought the tiger could do that in rivers. I am not digging in sand,it is more like sand and rocks so that may be having an effect.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not the machine. You need to buy sensitive electronic gear, especially underwater equipment, from a dealer that KNOWS how to set it up and get you out there detecting. The Tiger is a fully capable freshwater machine.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I have heard over the years is do NOT mess with the sensitivity. Seriously, if you send it to,Tesoro, they will,check it out and have it back to you in a few weeks.

OP
OP
K

kingvegan

Sep 11, 2014
Sonoma county CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I have heard over the years is do NOT mess with the sensitivity. Seriously, if you send it to,Tesoro, they will,check it out and have it back to you in a few weeks.

Thanks Susan, but the thing is brand new, surely Tesoro test these things before they box them. The store I found on the internet has a guy there that supposedly has been a detector ubergeek for thirty years, so I am hoping he will be able to tell me something when he sees it, they do sell tesoros. I really don't want to lose three weeks because by mid august my job will move to 10 to 13 hours a day seven days a week and stay that way till December. by then it will be dark by the time I get off work and too cold to get in the water anyway. It may just be the streams and rivers I am hunting, this aint pretty sand, hopefully he will know.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A) Theres something wrong with the machine.
or
B) You are not operating it correctly.

Either way, call Tesoro and they will fix it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions