Is this part of a banner stone or debris from bathroom remodel?

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got the morning off so I did probably my last hunt for the summer. Found some bases and broken points...nothing too spectacular...also found this object. I know it is worked and my first thought was it was half of a banner stone, but I didn't want to get too excited because I figure my imagination was starting to run a bit wild...I have seen some pics of banners and they look so more polished, ornamental and even larger....I would love input from the forum and won't be upset if it just some broken modern item. Thanks for any thoughts!
20130730_215058.jpg 20130730_214932.jpg 20130730_214927.jpg 20130730_214908.jpg 20130730_214843.jpg 20130730_214837.jpg 20130730_214818.jpg

Upvote 0

bci101tractors

Jan 10, 2013
US
Detector(s) used
whites dfx
garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,
I looked at your pics several time and I'm going with banner stone. I'm not sure, you have some very nice finds and I do hope you are able to get out more this summer. Looks drilled?
Your bathroom remodel ref. actually made me lol, nice!!
Steve

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm betting the farm that you have a broken banner stone. I have recently read as much info. On banner stones as I can find. Does the hole taper a little?

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found a wing tip of one this yr before the crops got planted. It was broken so bad I didnt post it. Mine is only 2x1 inches and in bad shape. I hope you find a whole one to compare the pieces too. Nice finds

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Ive found a wing tip of one this yr before the crops got planted. It was broken so bad I didnt post it. Mine is only 2x1 inches and in bad shape. I hope you find a whole one to compare the pieces too. Nice finds

Come on!! Don't hold out on us. Post that bad boy. Do you know what id do to find a part of a banner?

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm betting the farm that you have a broken banner stone. I have recently read as much info. On banner stones as I can find. Does the hole taper a little?

It doesn't seem to taper. I measured the diameter at both ends and both are exactly 1/2 inch across.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
It doesn't seem to taper. I measured the diameter at both ends and both are exactly 1/2 inch across.

They say reed drilled holes taper some. Yours may not have been reed drilled, or drilled from both ends. It's a banner-stone. Nice one!

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They say reed drilled holes taper some. Yours may not have been reed drilled, or drilled from both ends. It's a banner-stone. Nice one!

Thanks!..the hole does have a very slight angle to it like it wasn't perfectly drilled parallel. Who am I to judge though since it was done without modern tools...amazing really.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Thanks!..the hole does have a very slight angle to it like it wasn't perfectly drilled parallel. Who am I to judge though since it was done without modern tools...amazing really.

I have read that the hole should cone in slightly due to the reed wearing during production. Production is probably not the best choice of words here. Lol! Makes me think of an assembly line. Any way... Even if the hole doesn't have a "V" or "cone" like taper, I wouldn't worry, if I were you. The taper may be so insignificant that its not even apparent without the other half. If I were you, I'd go shooting in the dark. By that I mean I'd go on a hunt specifically for the other half of this charm.

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read that the hole should cone in slightly due to the reed wearing during production. Production is probably not the best choice of words here. Lol! Makes me think of an assembly line. Any way... Even if the hole doesn't have a "V" or "cone" like taper, I wouldn't worry, if I were you. The taper may be so insignificant that its not even apparent without the other half. If I were you, I'd go shooting in the dark. By that I mean I'd go on a hunt specifically for the other half of this charm.

Well I won't be able to get away for awhile...but I have made a mental note of where I found it...so maybe one day!

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the rest,only cause of how yours looks & I've never found a stone pipe made like a banner stone yet.But I do know they made clay pipes in the shape of banner stones cause I've found them.Good find
Take care,
Pete,:hello:

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 62
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 69

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a site that shows you some winged stone pipe.They made them I've just not came across none yet.Yours does have what looks like some marks on it & tennesse is mentioned as a source for material.Just not enough there for me to make a call on it but did want to share with you how it could be a broke piece of pipe.

Take Care,

Here's the site down around page 74,75,76.............................http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/NCArch/NCA_48(e-book).pdf

OP
OP
eastTNJoe

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a site that shows you some winged stone pipe.They made them I've just not came across none yet.Yours does have what looks like some marks on it & tennesse is mentioned as a source for material.Just not enough there for me to make a call on it but did want to share with you how it could be a broke piece of pipe.

Take Care,

Here's the site down around page 74,75,76.............................http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/NCArch/NCA_48(e-book).pdf

Thanks a bunch...the whole pdf looks pretty interesting too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread