Is this rock gold

Traceepiper

Greenie
May 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found this rock is it gold and if it is what it is worth it what do I do with it C5CA5448-E6A1-44C4-9472-C37E6AB4DA24.jpeg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Sure looks like the good stuff but it could be the ol' fools gold. Pic could be better. Does the yellow flake off or dent if you gouge at it with am ice pic? Better yet, does it still glow yellow in the shade? Could be pyrites.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pic is too blury. But the crystal habit and luster looks just like pyrite, so that is what my bet is on. There could be gold in with it, but you would probably need an assay done, or you could try crushing and panning it out.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrite for sure but there could be some gold, you have a few specs that look promising, the right kind of yellow but impossible to know from a photo. What IAMZIM says, have it looked at or just crush it to a powder size and pan it out, you can find YouTube videos to show you the whole process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Traceepiper

Greenie
May 8, 2019
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok I’ll do that crush pan it out if it’s pyrite it will be cubed

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrite will crush to dust as gold will smash flat because its a dense metal I suggest watching a YouTube video, use a little dish soap in the water, believe it or not gold if small enough will float right out of your pan, it hitches a ride with floating debris/dirt etc,the soap keeps the fines from doing that, the larger colors wont though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread