Is this rock just a........ rock?

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok be honest, is this just a rock? I went to a place today that I had heard about but never visited. There was plenty of evidence that this was a native site, a little bit of pottery and flint chips everywhere. This rock was found in a sort of depression and I stumbled upon it as it was not in plain site. The edge I showed in the second picture is a ton smoother than any other part of the rock just under the white(not sure what the white is). There were no other rocks like this in that area.

Could this be a grinder? I am hoping, but I want good opinions. Thanks!

IMG_0612.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0615.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DemonCatSpaceStar

Jan 1, 2009
People of the South Wind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it fit in your hand? I've found if it fits like a tool then it was used as a tool.
Also it looks like it could have been used as a grinder maybe? IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it fit in your hand?

That's exactly why I picked it up, it fits perfectly in the palm of my hand. Also, if it's natural as stated in the first post with no reason as to why, how do you explain the additional smoothness on one edge with the white stuff?

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How it fits in your hand has nothing to do with whether it's an artifact or not. Just about any stone that size you pick up will fit in your hand if you turn it until it does. I was going on what I see in your pictures and what I see is a natural stone. If it had been used as a Mano(grinder) the top and bottom sections would be worn smooth from use, not just the one spot on the side. Google Manos and you can see what I mean.

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you are saying and thanks for the information. I believe you know better than I considering your finds and I meant no disrespect! I will say this though, the rock is much smoother around all the edges than it is in the middle on both sides, this is what led me to believe it could have been a tool.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see artifact in this stone. I find a lot of these stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions