sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a silver 90% proof half. You crossed your fingers well enough.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
A rare find! I noticed a strange coincidence, whenever there is a post on some unusual find like a proof silver coin or a barber or seated liberty, the very next day or two another member posts his finds. They both share the same idea. Someone found a 18XX seated liberty or a 190X Baber and then boom someone else finds the same kind of stuff. What do you think about that?

OP
OP
fingerscrossed

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow thanks guys! i thought they stopped making silver coins in 1969

@Canadian Hunter - I don't know but I'm hoping the good stuff will keep coming to all of us!! :occasion14:

Last edited:

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They still make silver coins to this day, but they're minted in proof sets that carry a high premium. Someone broke that out of a set and put it into circulation at face value... probably a kid, thief or ******* heir to a collection.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
wow thanks guys! i thought they stopped making silver coins in 1969

@Canadian Hunter - I don't know but I'm hoping the good stuff will keep coming to all of us!! :occasion14:

Some proofs made from 1992-present are 90% silver. MOST proofs are not silver and will have the normal copper-nickel edge but proofs with the white edge are 90% silver. There are also some commemorative half dollars struck in 90% silver after 1964.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 1 silver like that. Them many weeks went by and i found 5 in one week!! If some one posts that they find something and they did'nt. What can i say its just f----- up. Great find!!

OP
OP
fingerscrossed

fingerscrossed

Apr 22, 2012
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i first saw it I thought it was foreign coin as it was thicker than the normal 40%/90% silver that I found thus far..when i pulled it out of the roll i was surprised to see it was a US coin and 1993 year..glad its silver..I put it now in the plastic holder..:thumbsup: wow congrats on your find as well Tim! i wish i can CRH as much as you but I just don't have the means...nevertheless let's keep rolling! :headbang:

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Congrats! My Daughter found our only modern silver proof a few years ago. She pulled a 1997S out of a roll and said "Dad, something is wrong with this one. It's got a silver edge but it is a 1997?" Pretty cool to find one!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definately silver, proof halves from 1992-2012 were sold in mint sets(clad) and silver mint sets(silver). Somebody cracked that baby out of the silver proof set and it ended up in your hands. Your fingers were crossed!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
definately silver, proof halves from 1992-2012 were sold in mint sets(clad) and silver mint sets(silver). Somebody cracked that baby out of the silver proof set and it ended up in your hands. Your fingers were crossed!

proof sets, not mint sets

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
You can double check by weight

A 90% silver proof should weigh 12.5gm as compared to a 40% silver (11.5gm) and a copper nickel clad (11.34gm)

If you don't own a scale, buy one they are very helpful. you can find them on amazon for $8-$12.
If you don't have a red book of US coin values, buy one. Most questions asked on this forum can be answered by it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread