Is this what US treasure hunters can expect....jail time?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I miss your point. The archeologists cooperated with the authorties to buy it off the black market in a sting operation. We'd have never seen it if it weren't for the "archies". Now the world can benefit from it - not just a few rich fat cats.

Nice find!

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I don't get his point either

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My point is...

Yea I don't get his point either

...at least in Britain there is a sharing of the value of the find, or at least some reward.

In germany,there is nothing, and that's why there is a black market. I hope they were able to negotiate
a lean sentence by cooperating and advising on the location, which they did.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The law in Germany is that all artifacts are the property of the stare. Archeologists do not draft laws. Legislators do.

If you're worried start working on local/state/federal legistalors. Flapping your gums here won't accomplish anything.

Personally - I'm not real worried about turning up a bronze age hoard. Metal wasn't much used hereabouts until 1760 or so. And I have only once broken the Civil War era with a Un Sou Montreal Token.

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's coming. Is your state next?? See this thread...
"
[h=2]Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!![/h]

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I already live in New York. What might become illegal is currently a much smaller list that what has already become illegal.

Happily, even the police don't know half the current laws so we do what we do until someone complains.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
The law in Germany is that all artifacts are the property of the stare.....

Charlie, I'm not so sure this statement is correct. There are different states within the larger country of Germany . The same way the USA has states within it. And if you were to talk to any German md'rs, they would tell you that certain states don't have that restriction. Only a few states within the country of Germany have the dire sounding anti-md'ing verbage.

However, I have no doubt, that are md'rs in every part of German, who ... (gasp) are finding old stuff. On a coin by coin basis, I'm sure it's no big deal.

Also: I bet you that even here in the USA, if you found a goodie of that caliber in any a) city property b) county property c) state property, or d) federal property: THAT THE SAME STUFF WOULD APPLY. What I mean is, don't think for a moment that the USA is any different.

To test theory, do this: Walk in to your city or county offices. Hold up a gold bar, or rare coin worth $1,000,000. Ask the city attorney: "Hi. I found this on city property with my metal detector. It's worth $1,000,000 and has great value of antiquity as well. Is it ok if I sell it on ebay for my own enrichment? Or does it belong to the city coffers, and to go into the city museum?" Which of the following 2 answers do you think they'd give you:

1) "you lucky bum! Sure, it's yours to keep. The city doesn't need the money anyhow. And we have no laws forbidding "removing", "collecting", "harvesting", etc.... So it's yours to keep!"

or

2) "No I'm sorry, but items on city property belong to the city. You'll have to give up that item to us."

If you think they'd give you answer #1, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I wanna sell you :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
...... Happily, even the police don't know half the current laws so we do what we do until someone complains.

Huh ? Well Charlie, just because no one (not even the police) care, and doesn't make it right ! It's your duty, under the code-of-ethics, to go ask those police people "can I?". That way they can look up your pressing question in their dry dusty boiler plate minutia. Once they are properly informed, then they will be able to tell you "no". And then you can come away with a feeling of gratitude for knowing you've "done the right thing". Ok, hurry, go ask. We'll be proud of ya! :)

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh ? Well Charlie, just because no one (not even the police) care, and doesn't make it right ! It's your duty, under the code-of-ethics, to go ask those police people "can I?". That way they can look up your pressing question in their dry dusty boiler plate minutia. Once they are properly informed, then they will be able to tell you "no". And then you can come away with a feeling of gratitude for knowing you've "done the right thing". Ok, hurry, go ask. We'll be proud of ya! :)

Tom, you really can't be serious can you? Go ask? That's like asking the father of your Prom date for condoms!:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tom, you really can't be serious can you? Go ask? That's like asking the father of your Prom date for condoms!:laughing7:

I said all that "tongue in cheek" :) But I say so, because people really do come on forums advocating that VERY THING. If any question of where you can and can't comes up, the solution is simple: Just go ask a bureaucrat at the location-in-question. I mean, who better to ask, than the entity themselves, right ? And "you can't be too safe", right ?

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good read.
Can't imagine digging relics' of that caliber. I'd probably be using the disc as a plate. ;)
Glad they're in proper hands.
Peace ✌

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it might never have been discovered if not for a couple of illegal treasure hunters who dug it up and sold it on the black market.

it would have never been found & seen if not for the illegal treasure hunters who dug it up & got caught .

Works both ways. perhaps they should get an honorable mention footnote in it's discovery.

Read more: Nebra Sky Disk Is Oldest Depiction Of Universe - Business Insider

that said, Being this took place in another country, I don't feel i have a leg to stand on in this Fight.

they do not describe themselves as a free Country & I don't live there so
what they do doesn't directly effect me.

If it were dug here in the supposed "Free Country" I would have things to say.

Cool Find though :thumbsup:

Crystals of Bronze disease on the Nebra sky disc.
screen shot 2015-01-21 at 11.55.09 am.png.jpg

dug just in time

Last edited:

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said all that "tongue in cheek" :) But I say so, because people really do come on forums advocating that VERY THING. If any question of where you can and can't comes up, the solution is simple: Just go ask a bureaucrat at the location-in-question. I mean, who better to ask, than the entity themselves, right ? And "you can't be too safe", right ?

Ok it had a hint of seriousness
Whew:occasion14:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie, I'm not so sure this statement is correct. There are different states within the larger country of Germany . The same way the USA has states within it. And if you were to talk to any German md'rs, they would tell you that certain states don't have that restriction. Only a few states within the country of Germany have the dire sounding anti-md'ing verbage.

However, I have no doubt, that are md'rs in every part of German, who ... (gasp) are finding old stuff. On a coin by coin basis, I'm sure it's no big deal.

Also: I bet you that even here in the USA, if you found a goodie of that caliber in any a) city property b) county property c) state property, or d) federal property: THAT THE SAME STUFF WOULD APPLY. What I mean is, don't think for a moment that the USA is any different.

To test theory, do this: Walk in to your city or county offices. Hold up a gold bar, or rare coin worth $1,000,000. Ask the city attorney: "Hi. I found this on city property with my metal detector. It's worth $1,000,000 and has great value of antiquity as well. Is it ok if I sell it on ebay for my own enrichment? Or does it belong to the city coffers, and to go into the city museum?" Which of the following 2 answers do you think they'd give you:

1) "you lucky bum! Sure, it's yours to keep. The city doesn't need the money anyhow. And we have no laws forbidding "removing", "collecting", "harvesting", etc.... So it's yours to keep!"

or

2) "No I'm sorry, but items on city property belong to the city. You'll have to give up that item to us."

If you think they'd give you answer #1, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn I wanna sell you :)

Who in the hell in there right mind would put that to "the test". Even if it is legal to detect and then you found a million dollar item who would do THAT?

I didn't find anything with my MD but I did find "something" very valuable in the middle of NOWHERE and didn't ask anyone if I could keep it either. It had been hidden for a 150 years or so. Everybody should just keep there mouth shut. That's why you don't do OPTION #1. above.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget to add to That.

"where exactly did you find it ? You may have Broken the Law.
We will have to get back to you on that."

and even IF they can't find a charge, you can be sure there will be an End to detecting there :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's coming. Is your state next?? See this thread...
"
[h=2]Metal detecting illegal on Massachusetts state beaches July 1, 2014 !!!!!!![/h]

We are fighting that one, and made them back off for a while. Looks like they may be at it again when they think we aren't watching them, but we are!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread