Is your stuff moving?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it's just cuz it's February. I sold tons of stuff in Dec (duh) and Jan. I've sold almost nothing in February. People aren't even really looking at the auctions. I pulled a bunch because I marked them down as far as I can go. I figured maybe AFTER tax day people will have money to spend?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took all my listings off in January because I was too busy with work to deal with ebay. I just relisted 20 items last week, all BIN. Sold 4 items so far, including a vase that I have had listed for about a year.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My items tend to move a lot...

I take them out and look at them, put them in new storage devices, reorganize them. Heck, they won't stop moving!

Sales though.. hm.. I've sold one item twice (return and 2nd chance), 7 other successful sales, 1 that was never paid, and 1 that is still waiting on payment after a few days. That's my best month of sales yet, BUT it is also so far the month I've had (by far) the most items listed.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stuff in my antique mall case is selling quite well, eBay sales have sucked.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sales started out very slow. I have sold a couple of high ticket items in the past few days, so that has helped.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I feel ya on those sales. Even the Facebook sites I buy from and sell my not worth shipping items on are slooooow! I have a DVD player for sale for the last 2 weeks, in my town it normally wouldn't last 5 minutes but nope still sitting here. I even busted out all my beer items and only sold one glass pair and there microwave brew glasses that most are closed. Now the cell phone and video games are selling nice for me in the bay. Car customizing stuff and summer items will start taking over soon.

GW is hoping though shoulder to shoulder. Hate to kick the dead horse but maybe the recent thrift hunter show has shifted the buying to those places for a short time being.

Plus right now all the people who usually but used or look for deals have those big return checks from Sam and willing to pay full price.

All the items I've sold on the bay have been bin and even the sold items are mostly bin with good prices while the auctions are really low. Well good luck out there.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sad part is, I can drop an item down to right at nothing and still not get a bid.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done great bin. But auctions have been off. Just doing bin Obo this month. Or higher starting bids.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The sad part is, I can drop an item down to right at nothing and still not get a bid.

I am wondering if it is worth it not to list right now. I have several good gold items, but I am scared to give them away. I laughed about the stuff moving around the house! Mine moves around in the house a lot too!!! I dropped the prices of what I have up to the bare minimum. I don't want to lose money ....

I actually figured out in the last two weeks, from Ebay sales, scrapping gold, and selling locally to the shops, I've made $4.11. Yup. Cuz I spent over $200 on those stupid Good Will Jars that I am so addicted. :-( I hope everyone gets their tax returns soon. I need their money. :laughing7:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually had an amazing day, which seems to be going against the grain. Last week I had about 63 things up, only one out of all of them sold. Re-listed them all, then today sold a BIN item, then my auctions ended with 17 items out of 60 sold, and I made 5 sales on Etsy to top it off! Feeling this good in February seems so weird!

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had one of my best months. Especially in regards to stuff selling that I had given up on selling

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I had an awesome Dec and Jan., but February seems slow.

My sales are off, but I've sold some higher profit items, which is helping make up for some of the slower sales.

Ursus

Apr 3, 2009
Ohio
Bad month for me - worst I have had. I have a lot of stuff that I still need to get listed but, what I have listed isn't moving. Even with some crazy discounting on a couple items ... Nothing. Hoping March is a stronger month (it usually is)

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only 2.5 months into selling on ebay but JAN was better for me than FEB so far...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Can anyone explain why February is historically a challenging month?

I've been selling on ebay since '98, and flea marketing for about 10 years. February has always been one of the slower months of the year.

Thoughts? Theories?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been selling on ebay since '98, and flea marketing for about 10 years. February has always been one of the slower months of the year.

Thoughts? Theories?

Holiday rush is over. January still has people buying belated Christmas gifts and spending money they had received. Also I think buyers look for deals on items that were gifts and are being resold. February has valentines day, which drives some sales, but after that.. It's late in winter and winter related sales have slowed. Spring is still a little ways off and those type sales haven't taken off yet.

My theory. :-P

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Thoughts? Theories?

I think Dec people go nuts buying. January they use their gift money. February the bills come in ... that is my guess. I sold 1 BIN yesterday and another today. Yay me.

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have been doing OK, sold a couple better items yesterday. Our problem is we are out of new product to list. We need Garage Sale season! -27 degrees right now in Atlanta, Michigan at 8:03 am, so no sales this weekend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread