Island # 10

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a book I am reading, thought I would pass it along in case anyone wants to look into it deeper.

As its name implies, the Mississippi River's Island Number Ten was downstream from nine other islands. Located close to Columbus, Kentucky, it wasfortified by Confederates who planned to close the river to Federal traffic. In a dramatic ship-to-shore operation, forces under Union Maj. Gen. John Pope and Flag Off. Andrew H. Foote took over the island on April 8, 1862. The victorious Union soldiers and sailors were dumbfounded to discover among the captives " a female invalid generally known as Harriet Redd." Questioned, she admitted to having come to the military installation to be with her Confederate husband. Refusing a pass, Harriet said she preferred to remain with him, so ahe joined the men in an improvised prisoner-of-war camp.

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
??? :icon_study: That's would be something to check out I know I would if i lived anywhere close to that part of the state. Interesting post. Let me know if you ever find out anything about the Lake Cumberland area,particularly Russell County,KY. HH!!!!!

Birdy1976

OP
OP
junior967

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I read and find interesting points I will pass them along. Just thought that the island may not be so picked over as other sites. Being an island and all

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Thanks for taking the time to post and sharing that info, junior. That sounds like a really good lead for somebody in that area!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread