Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my mind made up for a imported detector but since all i got from the UK or France the maker was i cant because it wont make it past US Customs or the FCC wont approve it , XP Gold Maxx with wireless headphones one ass kicking machine !! i guess that's down the tubes >:( , so i now decided to get a detector just for beach hunting instead but now i cant make up my mind on the 2 choices i made and help will be thankful .
Choice 1 Minelab Excalibur II or Choice 2 Whites BeachHunter ID 300 ?? . i have a DFX now and a Minelab GT but they are not really made for beach or at least wet beaches surf (excreta )
Thanks Jim HH
PS. i was told that a Ace 250 is great on beaches if you completely water proof the coil and control box i have my reservations about that :icon_scratch:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They might have done you a favor. I sold my GMP after using it one time, just knew it wasn't for me because to tell you the truth I don't think it was a whole lot different than using a lot of beep detectors with low disc.. I still thought it was a decent detector, but feel it probably likes iron too much, and is too much $$$ to have tied into a back up.

Excal of course!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Sov GT is one of the best beach detectors made, but if you want the water proof for the surf, the only choice is the Excal. Forget the Whites only because the coil floats and if you are going in the water you will need to hold it down near the bottom all the time. This wore me out. It would be fine hipmounted though for the dry sand. I could be unstable in the wet too. Another choice is one of the Pulse units which are very deep but love small iron trash so disc is Iffy.

The Ace 250 is not good for any wet sand hunting like the Sov GT or Excal I or II. Sensitivity must be turned down making it very shallow and since most of the rings are lost in the WET, you'll be handicapping yourself.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the Task?

Attachments

• Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 463
  • Sovereign GT.jpg
    Sovereign GT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 464
OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
They might have done you a favor. I sold my GMP after using it one time, just knew it wasn't for me because to tell you the truth I don't think it was a whole lot different than using a lot of beep detectors with low disc.. I still thought it was a decent detector, but feel it probably likes iron too much, and is too much $$$ to have tied into a back up.

Excal of course!
Ok 1 point for Excal Thanks :thumbsup: What caught my attention with the GPM was the recovery speed ! like lightning in the video a silver coin was put on the ground and a iron nail not even a inch away and that detector pickup both at a pretty fast swing it ID,ed both as well , as far as iron it can completely mask out iron if your just looking for silver or gold that's all it will detect . but now i see it says keep away from wet sand :-\ oh boy it is to much money i guess and not worth it if your not in the fields of UK just plowed where all those thousands and thousands of Roman coins silver and gold are i got to stop looking at You Tube videos :laughing7:

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Your Sov GT is one of the best beach detectors made, but if you want the water proof for the surf, the only choice is the Excal. Forget the Whites only because the coil floats and if you are going in the water you will need to hold it down near the bottom all the time. This wore me out. It would be fine hipmounted though for the dry sand. I could be unstable in the wet too. Another choice is one of the Pulse units which are very deep but love small iron trash so disc is Iffy.

The Ace 250 is not good for any wet sand hunting like the Sov GT or Excal I or II. Sensitivity must be turned down making it very shallow and since most of the rings are lost in the WET, you'll be handicapping yourself.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the Task?
Great thats 2 points for Excal , what your saying is the Minelab Sov GT i have now isnt completely water proof ? just the coil and lower rod ? i still have not taking it out on the beach cause it just got to cold to fast , oh and i did read about the Whites coil being to buoyant just today in a review and that would not be a good thing . Thanks guys looks like a Excal after i get the GT in the water and see what happens .

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deepdiger60 said:
Rando said:
Thank you i forgot Kellyco had that comparison chart i compared it to the Excal II hands down Minelab,s got it but iam not knocking Whites i love my DFX :icon_sunny:
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/compare/?a=15
I like my DFX also but don't take it near the water. The Sov GT can be taken in the water for just the coil and lower stem, but the box is not waterproof to waves or salt spray. You can place a baggie over the box to protect it from spray, but sometime a rouge wave will hit you or you are going to fall down. Better to get a water proof detector.

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Deepdiger60 said:
Rando said:
Thank you i forgot Kellyco had that comparison chart i compared it to the Excal II hands down Minelab,s got it but iam not knocking Whites i love my DFX :icon_sunny:
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/compare/?a=15
I like my DFX also but don't take it near the water. The Sov GT can be taken in the water for just the coil and lower stem, but the box is not waterproof to waves or salt spray. You can place a baggie over the box to protect it from spray, but sometime a rouge wave will hit you or you are going to fall down. Better to get a water proof detector.
Looks like its the Minelab Excal II for the water it took 9 months to start understanding the DFX hopefully the Excal isnt so difficult it looks alot simpler ,ill order a book by Clive James Clynick :read2: his latest edition on the Excal II I have 6 weeks until the Big Thaw starts :hello2: . Thanks for the help HH Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread