It Actually Happened! I Didn't Find Any Silver Today

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a lot of swing today hitting several sites that I've hit hard before. As much as I tried, I couldn't find a silver coin. There just weren't any there to find! I did find some clad coins, wheat pennies, a dollar token, a heads/tails coin, and some kind of copper figurine.

Not one to give up so easily, I started looking for some virgin ground to detect. As I was riding down the street I spotted an old man pushing a garbage cart down his driveway to the street. I turned around and pull up beside him and asked him how's his day was going? He said, he has had better. I got out of my SUV and started talking about his cats, how long he has owned his home, his stroke that he around 3 years ago, etc. Then I popped the question, can I have your permission to metal detect your yard? He said sure you can.

This is were it gets strange, he said don't I know you? Don't you swing a machine that finds coins in the ground? I said yeah. He said that he used to live on so and so street and I used to come by there all time. I told him that I've detected all up and down that street. It sure is a small world!

The permission that I just got is so good that I didn't even want to start today. I want savor the thought of getting to detect this 1920's yard. Keep in mind I JUST found a SLQ in the grassy area between the curb and city sidewalk right in front of this house. A year or so ago I found a Walking Liberty Quarter in same grassy area. So there should be silver in the yard!

Here's the big question. Which detector do I start out with first and which search coils do I use? My 10 turn ground balance Cibola, my MXT Pro, my Deus or my newly acquired CTX 3030? I'm thinking maybe my Tesoro Cibola in case there's some gold jewelry in the yard. Oh this is going to fun.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 86
Upvote 14

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEET CHERUB AND FINDS

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing more exciting! I love thinking about what could turn up! What’s the dollar token say? I love finds like that! !

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a killer permission! You are going to tear it up no matter which detector you start with.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tabman,you did rather well at a spot you previously searched. Remember,the silver comes first.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is whichever detector you feel more comfortable with.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a feeling ur gonna make up for today...big time. 😁🙌😁

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice hunt and permission!

With your luck detecting, you could swing a broomstick and find the goodies! :notworthy:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEET CHERUB AND FINDS
Thanks! So That's what it is.

There is nothing more exciting! I love thinking about what could turn up! What’s the dollar token say? I love finds like that! !
Thanks! Union and Planters Bank. I used to bank with them before they shut their doors. I got my first construction loan from them when I first started out building new homes 1983. It didn't take me long before coming their largest construction lending account. I'm still good friends with one of the loan officers. I'm going to have to show him this token.

Congrats on a killer permission! You are going to tear it up no matter which detector you start with.
Thanks! I've been wanting that permission for long time.

tabman,you did rather well at a spot you previously searched. Remember,the silver comes first.
Thanks! Yeah you're right, do my share of cherry picking for silver coins.

Thanks!

The answer is whichever detector you feel more comfortable with.
I'm hours away and I've still haven't made up my mind.

I have a feeling ur gonna make up for today...big time. 
Thanks! Somethings the best looking sites turn out to be duds, but I have high hopes.

Congratualtions on the nice hunt and permission!

With your luck detecting, you could swing a broomstick and find the goodies! :notworthy:
Thanks! It's mostly about location and me being able to get permissions.

tabman

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Silver ? My heart is bleeding peanut butter !! Good luck on your new place.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Silver ? My heart is bleeding peanut butter !! Good luck on your new place.

Thanks! My new permission turned out to be a HUGE winner for me today. I also got permission to detect the house next door. I dug so much today that I'm going to take few days off from detecting to recoup. lol

tabman

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You mean I can't say "Now we're metal detecting "?. Did you check to see if your machine was on?:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread