It adds up

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many of you, I have some buckets in my basement into which I throw all my dug scrap brass, copper, and lead. This morning I made one of my infrequent trips to the scrap yard and was delighted to get $76.00 for my labors. That, plus all the clad, plus the sale of the occasional gold ring, more than pays for this wonderful hobby (I keep all the silver and cool relics).

scrap.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Your getting paid for doing something you enjoy.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love those nice crisp bills, congratulations! :occasion14:

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have similar routines........some of the money is converted into Christmas silver eagles for the grandchildren and great grandson........
Keep goin', it does add up!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of you get really excited about small silver coins, so don't be offended when I let you know I got rid of the whole lot of them recently! Unfortunately I got about 8 more today. (I like historic and prehistoric items better, that's all.)

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know a lot of you get really excited about small silver coins, so don't be offended when I let you know I got rid of the whole lot of them recently! Unfortunately I got about 8 more today. (I like historic and prehistoric items better, that's all.)

Yes, most unfortunate, digging those pathetic little silver coins. Better luck next outing. Geez. Now I'm embarrassed I even mentioned the TWO that I have found.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to recycle (for money) once upon a time ago. Copper hit $1.00 a pound or something like that. Now pre 1865 silver coins, I can do that! They're historic!

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Next time you come across some of those blighted things, just throw them back like undersized fish. Some other poor chump will find them :laughing7:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, since I don't do parks, I rarely find them as I'm not looking for them.

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I save my trash also until I have like a 100 lb bucket full, sort all the good scrap and save, then cash in. It does add up. No reason to take the time to dig all that and not benefit.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey last week(for1/2 hrs. time) I got a case of beer for finding a guys 4 property markers:icon_thumright:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Property markers! All I got was unlimited permission to dig the site with a couple friends, there was a CW outpost on it. No beer.:tongue3:

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, was wondering if others have done this, I have three buckets as well...not close to full enough for a trip though. I'm dreading how picky the scrap yard will be. Any tips?

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, was wondering if others have done this, I have three buckets as well...not close to full enough for a trip though. I'm dreading how picky the scrap yard will be. Any tips?

This was my first time at this particular yard, and they were surprisingly unpicky and took my word for it. The lead is obvious, but no doubt I've confused copper with brass and vice versa on occasion, so there was likely a bit of cross-contamination. But they didn't pick through it at all; this may also have been because they were pretty busy. Good luck!

Vhoov

May 9, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro, Pro pointer AT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I'm sure I have also. Thanks for the post and reply.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got maybe 10 pounds of sinkers. Probably not worth the gas to go there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread