hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
"Eisenstein said the speed of light is one absolute in the Universe, next to that, I put money" Paraphrased from the movie "The pawn Broker."

Remember when Italy's government was hard up for money and sold Leonardo's famous notes to Armand Hammer for 5 mil.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Einstein was wrong. The speed of light is not a constant. It's speed can change with proximity to a gravity well or black hole. Or the Duck Dynasty show.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why the F@#$% are they selling this?! This is a priceless piece of the earliest history of our nation.

For that price I'd sell it. I told my friend one time, everything has a price tag for the right price. Lol

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For that price I'd sell it. I told my friend one time, everything has a price tag for the right price. Lol

Yeah, but you're not a museum who's reason for existence is to inform and educate the future by preserving and displaying the past. Selling this to the highest bidder is just wrong.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but you're not a museum who's reason for existence is to inform and educate the future by preserving and displaying the past. Selling this to the highest bidder is just wrong.

Kinda like selling Dec of Independence...

At one time I owned a Harpers Weekly issue with the entire front page announcing the death of Th. Jefferson, on the inside in middle was a letter Jefferson had written to Harpers declining to attend the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Dec of Independence due to ill health.

Both were printed in same issue same day by conquincdense.

Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on the same day, July 4th 1826, the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. They died only hours apart....

I sold the newspaper for $300 over 20 years ago and would pay twice that to have it back as it was in near mint condition......

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can still get similar newspapers like that now. I've been considering getting one.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah but if museums don't have funding they shut their doors and then no one sees anything. I'm sure many people have sold great detecting finds to upgrade and buy the new detector they want... which you can make the same argument it's dumb to part with a find, to buy a detector to try and make a find! ... but to them it is worth it. That said, I'm definitely in the camp that every piece of metal on the face of this earth would have a price if i owned it... zero exceptions.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all relevant to the times and situation, common component Is human beings, what would you do if you were in that persons shoes?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but if museums don't have funding they shut their doors and then no one sees anything. I'm sure many people have sold great detecting finds to upgrade and buy the new detector they want... which you can make the same argument for it's dumb to part with a find, to buy a detector to try and make a find! ... but to them it is worth it. That said I'm definitely in the camp that every piece of metal on the face of this earth would have a price if i owned it... zero exceptions.

Agreed, and I'm convinced that it all does regardless what some claim. But I think the selling of many items by museums presents a certain amount of conflict with some of the various communities and resources they are often connected with. i.e., "It's never about money and we don't put a price tag on historical items, etc." Sure it is, and sure they do.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, and I'm convinced that it all does regardless what some claim. But I think the selling of many items by museums presents a certain amount of conflict with some of the various communities and resources they are often connected with. i.e., "It's never about money and we don't put a price tag on historical items, etc." Sure it is, and sure they do.

Just seems appropriate here....

39205-that-belongs-in-a-museum-meme-kGTF.jpeg

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Einstein was wrong. The speed of light is not a constant. It's speed can change with proximity to a gravity well or black hole. Or the Duck Dynasty show.

Not wrong. Einstein referred to the speed of light in a vacuum which is a universal physical constant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread