Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

chipper01work

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2010
Well It's not that easy but sometimes I think these experiences are God's way of getting you hooked on a healthy hobby. I have similar stories. My very first exposure to a metal detector was about 25 years ago. A buddy of mine got a pretty expensive machine and invited me to join him in is yard while he hunted. I did not even own a machine. After about 1/2 hour and one seated dime already in the bag he got a phone call and handed me the machine and told me to "have some fun" while he took the call. Five minutes later I was standing in his yard with a Morgan Dollar (common date, but looked like the day it was minted) with a nice trowel mark on Lady Liberty's cheek. It was only down about 3 inches and I punched her right in the cheek. When I got my etrac a couple years ago the very first target I dug was a beautiful Barber Quarter with tons of detail.

jackc

Jun 24, 2013
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats that is an awesome score!
My first find was a silver ring, then another, and then an Iphone...
Right now though... it's been barren so far this year... urgh i hate dry spouts!:dontknow:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected for quite a while before finding any rings, cheapies or good. After finally breaking the ice, I find one every now and then, some times nothing special and sometimes sliver or gold
luvsdux.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my second day hunting and within 10 minutes I found my first treasure, a 14k yellow gold wedding ring. Found it on the beach. Just curious, how long did it take you guys to find your first good piece like a valuable coin, ring, or jewelry. It cant be this easy.
Well about 6 months then about another nine months before finding another. It can be not so easy sometimes. Congrats on your find and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was my second day hunting and within 10 minutes I found my first treasure, a 14k yellow gold wedding ring. Found it on the beach. Just curious, how long did it take you guys to find your first good piece like a valuable coin, ring, or jewelry. It cant be this easy.
Sure it's easy! All you have to do is get a metal detector, learn how to use (if only a little) swing the loop over a good target, and dig it up! Simple! :laughing7: Now to do it on a consistant basis, and not rely on luck, that's much harder. Being good will win out over the long haul, but, being lucky can win the day.

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My dad bought an old cheap Bounty Hunter Baron back in the late 80's at a yard sale so he could find the corner stakes for his property. He and I went out and found them. He handed it to me and said I could have it. He and I walked around and within a few minutes, we had eyeballed two $1 bills. That paid for the detector. Dad mentioned that my aunt had lost her class ring in 1955 when my parents moved into the house. I was determined to find it, within 30 minutes I had it in my hands. I returned it to my aunt who was dying with cancer. The smile on her face when I handed it to her was priceless.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My second day metal detecting here in Hollywood beach FL, i found a $150 benchmade pocket knife a silver chain and descent amount of clad with my Teknetics delta. 3rd day, nothing but pennies some quarters and enough aluminum and trash to smelt for money.
Those knives are really well made. Awesome find.

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it was my third or fourth time out for a ring. Have not found one for a while. No beach hunts though.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's the thrill of the dig.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad bought an old cheap Bounty Hunter Baron back in the late 80's at a yard sale so he could find the corner stakes for his property. He and I went out and found them. He handed it to me and said I could have it. He and I walked around and within a few minutes, we had eyeballed two $1 bills. That paid for the detector. Dad mentioned that my aunt had lost her class ring in 1955 when my parents moved into the house. I was determined to find it, within 30 minutes I had it in my hands. I returned it to my aunt who was dying with cancer. The smile on her face when I handed it to her was priceless.

That is a great story. I think it is great that your aunt was able to get her class ring back before she passed. God bless.

Western Sky Ranch

Jan 12, 2013
Norco, CA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
Other
I own two metal detectors an Ace 350 & the AT Pro. I bought the 350 first and then 8 months later the Pro when I realized I was hooked on the hobby.

Beginners luck took me a while to figure out. At the 9 month mark I had my first sterling bracelet, at 11 months I pulled out my first gold, a 19 gram gold bracelet. After the learning curve, deciphering where to hunt and good old luck I have found enough loot to pay me back for all my equipment and then some.

So far 90% of my hunting is in parks and the rest on the beach. Do it enough and the hot spots (pay streaks) at these locations begin to take shape in your mind. You'll begin to gravitate towards the areas that people congregate at during events or busy times. It's all a game of odds and endurance. Put in the time and dig it all. The good, the bad and the ugly!

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago I hade a ace 250 and we were at the beach and I set it up for my daughter and let her go in a volleyball sand court and heard her going over a spot making it ding ding over and over so I came over and dug down a few inches and it was a playboy bunny pendant with a diamond for the eye , now that was some good luck !! Lol

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I found my first gold during one of my first hunts with my Ace 250, as well as several pieces of silver jewelry. Took me a while to realize it wasn't always going to be that easy.

I night hunted a park once, first signal was a ring. Second signal was flashing blues, apparently it wasn't supposed to be in the park past dark. Oops. After hurrying out, I checked the ring. 14 k wedding band.

Ive vet had many times when my first few targets have been great and then the rest of the day turns up nothing. Of course, I have also had many days when I haven't found any keepers until the walk back to the vehicle...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's not that easy for me,lol, but I'm glad you got lucky your first time out. Love your avatar, gotta love Walt.

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In regards to the benchmade knife, yes they are unfortunately the salt has taken its toll on it, its a bit stained.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread