It Finally Happened - I Got Skunked!

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right off the bat this morning I just knew that I had a silver half dollar under my search coil. I dug the pug extra wide so not to damage the coin. It turned out to be a massive silver ring, not the silver coin that I was hoping for.

The home was built in 1945 so I worked the yard super hard in hopes of unmasking a silver coin. I found nothing but modern coins and a few wheat pennies. That site looked so promising.

I moved on to another site and found a few more wheat pennies and loaded up on a bunch of modern coins, but still no silver. A guy a couple of doors down was watching me, so I went down and asked permission to hunt his yard and got the OK. I worked it super hard and still no silver coin.

I guess it just wasn't my day. I ended the streak with 167 silver coins in 57 hunts without getting skunked on a single hunt.

Now it's time to relax and try some new stuff.

tabman

F75DST%20Silver%20Ring%20001_zps54s1z21h.jpg

F75DST%20Silver%20Ring%20003_zpscmqiy61y.jpg

F75DST%20Silver%20Ring%20012_zpslnmhpm27.jpg

F75DST%20Silver%20Ring%20014_zps2iko8d3f.jpg

F75DST%20Silver%20Ring%20015_zpsxizs9ayi.jpg

F75DST%20Silver%20Ring%20005_zpsfack804p.jpg

Upvote 12

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool ring... silver streak is still alive in my book :thumbsup:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on the ring! Well it was one hellava run!!! You have not only set a goal for yourself to try to break one day, but something for me to shoot for one day as well. I ended my longest silver streak last weekend at 4 hunts with 12 silver coins. I have a little work to do to get to your numbers!

Now, find you some older sites and have fun looking for older coins without the pressure of keeping the streak alive hanging over your head.

Awesome Totals!!!! :hello2::occasion18::occasion18::hello2:

:occasion14:

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never known a streak to go on past 50 silvers, but you've more than tripled that amount! That's something that won't get topped anytime soon, maybe never unless you find a jar of silvers!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have really had a great year so far. Last year my total silver coin count was 158 . You already beat that. Congrats on a pretty silver ring. I know it doesn't count as a silver coin, but it is always nice to come home with silver.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a nice looking silver ring. I can't say that I would classify that hunt as a skunk given the ring. To me, any ring is a good find and silver and gold rings make for a great hunt.

But I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes you just know there "just has to be" silver in a spot and walk away with wheaties, clad and a pile of trash . It's happened to me so many times.
I think someone may have beaten me to the silver and left the copper behind in some of my spots given what else I have found. I've been told that many people used to cherry pick silver and leave the rest behind.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone! I'm going to rest up for a few days and get back after it. I have some older places that I want to give a try to see if I can find some older coins and I also want to get back to spending more time searching for gold jewelry and relics. I like to change things up to keep things interesting.

tabman

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have some *****in hunting grounds tabman! Maybe they melted a few coins down to make the ring. [emoji4]

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The streak is still on in my eyes. I agree with the others tabman. Silver is silver...

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that was an amazing run. UDAMAN! That ring sure is purty! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions