It finally happened to me, and It wasnt the elusive dream roll.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
so yesterday, I was out and about, and I see a Wells Fargo, and remember that I have a few checks to deposit. So, I go in, hand him deposit slip, and ask the question.. Got any half dollars? Yep he says, I have $7.25 worth ( I should have known right then something bad was going to happen with this tard.) I kindly said, "well, thats sounds interesting, how do your fifty cent pieces come out to 7.25? He starts laughing and says, I meant to say I have $7 bucks worth. Great, Ill take em, I hear silver way before I see them, and I literally take 10 bucks out of my pocket, meet his stack and as he is putting them on the counter, lay my bill on my stack. he says, let me ask around to see if anyone else has more. Great, Im thinkin. Well, for some reason he takes his/mine stack and starts looking through them while asking. comes back and says, sorry, Im keeping this one, so I have 6.50 worth.... I says, B.S. let me see it, you cant do that. bad mistake, I should have just left. He hands me a mint condition 1925 stone mountain (actually I should have left at that point, and said keep the change). Instead of causing a scene, I just left, I had never seen a stone mountain before (or any other silver commen up to that point.).

Little prick.

Im still not over it, I am going to call the manager tomorrow, knowing it will not do any good other than make me think I might feel better afterward, even though I know it wont already...

happy hunting.

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is deplorable behavior on the part of a bank employee. If you do regular business with that bank a call to the manager or regional manager (if you get nowhere with the branch manager) is warranted. You can bet I would have that kids ass on a platter if my regular business account bank did that to me. They do not want to loose my business, and they should not want to loose yours either.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
owch, I would be pissed!
I have one...found it in a roll that came from a banks coin machine...after the tells told me it was some ones dumps and had been searched, along with a solid roll of 40%s..
Maybe you'll get it after your talk with the manager.. Best of luck to ya!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'd be mad too, if it happened at my regular bank.

I still don't understand why any teller would leave silver in their tray. Why don't they just buy it and take it to their car, immediately!!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It happens...it will happen again. Just let it go. :icon_thumleft:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
clovis97 said:
I'd be mad too, if it happened at my regular bank.

I still don't understand why any teller would leave silver in their tray. Why don't they just buy it and take it to their car, immediately!!!

I don't understand it either. I once saw a merc and an IH in a tip jar at a restaurant in Boston. I asked if I can exchange a dime and a penny for them, and she told me no, that they are very old and valuable coins.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
TheRockDoc said:
Im still not over it, I am going to call the manager tomorrow, knowing it will not do any good other than make me think I might feel better afterward, even though I know it wont already...

That's a rare case when I would have called the manager over. Not in anger, but said "I said I would buy these, he said he would sell them to me, and then he changed his mind after i put my money down. I want the coins, just like he said. For him to take the only good one out is not right. I am asking you, as the manager, to allow me, your customer, to buy this coin. Can I have it?" See what he says. If he says no, you are no worse off. If he says yes, you are better off.

When the answer can only be a nuetral or a positive, why be afriad to ask it? Again, not in anger, but as a dissatisfied customer. That is what managers are SUPPOSED to deal with. Issues from customers. I think you should have asked for the manager right then.

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
skelly9131 said:
I'm confused, you said he handed you the coin. So, did you get it or not?

When he took it out, and said, actually I only have 6.50, Im keepin this one. I said, what? you cant do that... let me see it? what was it? seriously, let me see it... He then handed it to me, (not to give to me, but to let me "see" it). I looked at it, and gave it back.... I really should have said, keep the change, and the other 13 half dollars, and walked out.

Penman77- You very well might be the only one here that would have that thought process... But if that really would be how you thought about it, then good for you... I wish I could be as mild as that, but somehow, when I started CRH'ing, and obsessing over silver at face value... I became a "FREAK"... a paranoid, compulsive, FREAK...

jrf30- great advice, and I will heed your advice here shortly. I thought about it, and the reason I didnt call yesterday is because I knew I needed to make sure the emotion was gone before making that phone call.. otherwise I know for sure it wouldnt have done any good.

happy hunting everyone, I get 4 boxes today, hopefully it will have a little "fix" for me so I dont keep getting worse with crazy.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
My blood pressure went up just reading your post! I've had tellers say they didn't have halves before, when I could see them on the tray; I've done nothing previously, and decided I'd push the issue from now on. If a teller started to hand me the coins, stopped to look through them, and refused to part with all of them, I think I'd go ballistic. Be tempted to at least. I think the best thing to do is as jrf30 suggested, which I personally will endeavor to do in the future.

Good luck with your boxes!

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
skelly9131 said:

Penman77- You very well might be the only one here that would have that thought process... But if that really would be how you thought about it, then good for you... I wish I could be as mild as that, but somehow, when I started CRH'ing, and obsessing over silver at face value... I became a "FREAK"... a paranoid, compulsive, FREAK...

I would have been irritated, and then it would take a few minutes to get through the thought process, but I would arrive at the point that it is not a big deal. Because of the relatively low value and the fact that I never had it. You can't lose what you never had.

And I have to chuckle at someone thinking I am mild. That is a first. It has taken me a long time to reach this degree of mellowness.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
you know the only thing worse then this is having a bank say since you don't use your account enough your not going to be able to get boxes of change... :BangHead:

it's annoying, but it's better to make that place a dump bank then bother with them again asking for anything from them- they know what value silver is and are watching for it. most banks have a few people who are watching for it, it's why they wanted to work at the bank (it's about wanting money) -the good news is they don't have time to search all the coins in rolls.

they have a coin machine there??? I'd be filling it up for them. >:D

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
penman77 said:
TheRockDoc said:
skelly9131 said:

I would have been irritated, and then it would take a few minutes to get through the thought process, but I would arrive at the point that it is not a big deal. Because of the relatively low value and the fact that I never had it. You can't lose what you never had.

And I have to chuckle at someone thinking I am mild. That is a first. It has taken me a long time to reach this degree of mellowness.

You know penman77, what is weird, (by weird I mean my reaction to the ordeal.) First of all, for some reason I always thought that wouldnt happen to me, so when it did, I was so shocked that I didnt really "think" like I normally do. The whole time it was happening I remember being surprised that i wasnt "freaking out", and that i was handling it as good as I did. An hour later, I was completely calmed down, and didnt really think it was that big of a deal. I would have been fine had I left it at that. Like usuall, I couldnt just "leave it at that". I went home later that night, and I told my (non-confratational, level-headed, mild-tempered, sweet-heart, nicest, sweetest person in the whole world) wife, and she was like "WHAT" are you freaking kidding me? that would be like me going into a clothing store and saying, I would like these 3 shirts, and the teller ringing them up saying, oh, actually, I really love this shirt, so Im keeping this one, you can still have these other two though... I even asked her, "so it is a big deal"? She thought so, and couldnt believe anybody in a professional "customer service" type business would ever do that.
Still not the end of the world, but then the next day, I was talking to one of my very good friends, and he happens to work at a different branch of the same bank (wells fargo). He was literally in disbelief that something like that happened at a wells fargo, (he knows what they focus on, whats important to them, how they get trained, how the bonuses, work-bonus is partly based on results of the surveys that corporate does, etc...) My friend then told his own manager what happened at this other branch, the guy turned fuming red, and said just second, He went straight to his desk, and called this branch, got on the phone with the little pricks manager, and told him what happend. About an hour after my buddy told his managers what happened I happend to stop at the bank, and while I did my banking business for the 3 or 4 minutes I was in there, I had all 3 managers of this different branch come up to me and apologize up and down, and assure me that something like SHOULD NEVER, EVER happen, and the it NEVER WILL HAPPEN at their branch..... yada yada yada... So with all this being said, I guess it is a bigger deal than I originally thought too....

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
penman77 said:
Am I the only one here who would say "It's just a half dollar. I'm not going to worry about it"?
Not just any half dollar, but a Stone mt commem. I'd be ticked.

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
jrf30 said:
TheRockDoc said:

That's a rare case when I would have called the manager over. Not in anger, but said "I said I would buy these, he said he would sell them to me, and then he changed his mind after i put my money down. I want the coins, just like he said. For him to take the only good one out is not right. I am asking you, as the manager, to allow me, your customer, to buy this coin. Can I have it?" See what he says. If he says no, you are no worse off. If he says yes, you are better off.

When the answer can only be a nuetral or a positive, why be afriad to ask it? Again, not in anger, but as a dissatisfied customer. That is what managers are SUPPOSED to deal with. Issues from customers. I think you should have asked for the manager right then.

Hey jrf30- I just wanted to tell you this. I am pretty frustrated at myself because I am the type who can usually pretty much talk my way into/out of anything and everything.... I would normally think fast, and be very political, and professional so I could walk out of that bank with that coin in hand...

As I mentioned before, It surprised me so bad, I was in shock kind of (for some reason, I really thought that was never gonna happen to me, esp. at my home bank where I have several personal, and business accounts. So the point is, now that I am looking back, after what happened with the other branch where my buddy works, and talking to the assistant manager at the branch where the little prick works, I know for 100% guarantee, that if I would have calmly said, "Hey Pal, go ahead and get your manager for me, the branch manager, Ill be standing right here until you can do that for me"... I know for sure that had I done (at the time it happened) what you suggested, that coin would have been mine. period. So for everyone reading this, take his advice, but do that when you get sniped from the teller, may work, it may not, I know it would have worked for me. Problem is, when I called, the manager who I was talking to actually told me, "you know, he doesnt have the coin anymore, or I would have you come get it." Meaning when they talked to the little prick, he lied, and said he didnt have it anymore. Whatta ya gonna do at that point. NOTHING :BangHead:

Anyways, guys, It was a good learning expirience, and next time it happens I am confident the outcome will be different. thanks for all the advice.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
That sucks!

Having a teller hoarding silver in their tray and not selling it is one thing but, to have him say he is going to sell you the stack and then pull it in front of you is another.

I agree, when he handed you the coin "to see" you should tossed a dollar to him and then dared him to get the manager. Once that coin crossed the counter into your hand he had no leg to stand on if you would have plunked the money for it on the counter.

Happens to us all at some point in this guy. I know I've had my fair share of incidents.

HH

Agent

OP
OP
TheRockDoc

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
fistfulladirt said:
penman77 said:
Am I the only one here who would say "It's just a half dollar. I'm not going to worry about it"?
Not just any half dollar, but a Stone mt commem. I'd be ticked.

On that note, last night, I was at a coin auction, and there was a "storm mountain" commen. I asked the auctioneer what condition its in roughly, he said fine to very fine. (which is good, but the one that should have been mine for fifty cents was AU-at least, in my opinion.)

Point is, that the auction last night, the fine to very fine storm mtn. commen went for over $50 bucks... and this was not your typical auction where coins are so overpriced it makes you want to puke, this was the best auction I have ever been too. I SCORED 3 slabbed "CC" morgans. All slabbed&graded by NGC. they were 1882, 1883, 1884, and I cant remember exactly which was which, but 2 of them were MS64, and the other was MS63. I got them for $170, $170, and $180.... I literally couldnt believe it. If anyone has a grey sheet, I am very curious what those would go for. Say the 1882 was the MS63, and the other two 83 and 84 were MS64. I am wondering if I got a great deal, or just a good deal or what.

Thanks again guys. Im back to work.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheRockDoc said:
penman77 said:
TheRockDoc said:
skelly9131 said:

You know penman77, what is weird, (by weird I mean my reaction to the ordeal.) First of all, for some reason I always thought that wouldnt happen to me, so when it did, I was so shocked that I didnt really "think" like I normally do. The whole time it was happening I remember being surprised that i wasnt "freaking out", and that i was handling it as good as I did. An hour later, I was completely calmed down, and didnt really think it was that big of a deal. I would have been fine had I left it at that. Like usuall, I couldnt just "leave it at that". I went home later that night, and I told my (non-confratational, level-headed, mild-tempered, sweet-heart, nicest, sweetest person in the whole world) wife, and she was like "WHAT" are you freaking kidding me? that would be like me going into a clothing store and saying, I would like these 3 shirts, and the teller ringing them up saying, oh, actually, I really love this shirt, so Im keeping this one, you can still have these other two though... I even asked her, "so it is a big deal"? She thought so, and couldnt believe anybody in a professional "customer service" type business would ever do that.
Still not the end of the world, but then the next day, I was talking to one of my very good friends, and he happens to work at a different branch of the same bank (wells fargo). He was literally in disbelief that something like that happened at a wells fargo, (he knows what they focus on, whats important to them, how they get trained, how the bonuses, work-bonus is partly based on results of the surveys that corporate does, etc...) My friend then told his own manager what happened at this other branch, the guy turned fuming red, and said just second, He went straight to his desk, and called this branch, got on the phone with the little pricks manager, and told him what happend. About an hour after my buddy told his managers what happened I happend to stop at the bank, and while I did my banking business for the 3 or 4 minutes I was in there, I had all 3 managers of this different branch come up to me and apologize up and down, and assure me that something like SHOULD NEVER, EVER happen, and the it NEVER WILL HAPPEN at their branch..... yada yada yada... So with all this being said, I guess it is a bigger deal than I originally thought too....

Hell, now you're starting to get ME a little bit worked up over this.

bnicholas26

Apr 25, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bare Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO. GIRL BEHIND THE COUNTER HAD A 9 INCH STACK OF HALVES AND DIMES IN HER TRAY. ALL SILVER!!! AND SHE SAID TO ME "THOSE ARE MINE" (STILL IN THE TRAY). I WAS IRATE, CALLED THE MANAGER, NOTHING HAPPENED! P.S. THE BANK WAS PUTNAM BANK IN NORWICH, CT. LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE STOPS THERE. GO GET THAT SILVER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread