It got Dark in the Park!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hi Gang! Boy! Have we finally gotten some long awaited and much needed rain! Here in the Central Kentucky area we've been under a severe drought condition for most of the summer and now into the fall season as well. What with all the fires in California being seen on television, the very thought of that around these parts has had people going sleepless with worry. Yes, It has been DRY, but not after the past three days of a long gentle, sometimes heavy, rainfall. Unfortunately a cold cold cold rain, not very conducive to getting out and metal detecting like you can in the spring and summer when the rain isn't so freakin' cold. <shivver> Well today I was about to go nuts with cabin fever. Not that I hadn't gotten out of the house, hell I had two different doctors appointments today (yesterday as of this time). I did some house cleaning and some maintenance on the plumbing.. ugh.. slow moving drains can be a pain in the.. uh.. well.. they're a pain. I tackled some "honey-do" projects that have been waiting for a rainy day... damn!.. damn rain! <grin> I even started a big pot of beef n' vegetable soup for dinner later. You gotta love those crock pots! I was still itching to get out and get my "seek" on though.
Low and behold it quit raining! After nearly three days straight of nonstop drizzle, patter, sprinkling and downpours, it STOPPED RAINING! Another cold front was moving through the region and the temperatures took a nosedive. We went from wet and chilly at 60+ degrees Fahrenheit to just barely 50 degrees.. when the wind wasn't gusting. What the hell!? I had about an hour of daylight and I could put on a sweatshirt and take a rain jacket in case it started sprinkling again... I jumped in my go buggy and scooted out to the park I hunted last week. It's the largest park in this city, complete with municipal water reservoir, walking trails, picnic shelters, and volleyball courts! And there was a new one! Sand even! or it would be sand if it weren't 50% or more submerged in water! <grin> Yeah.. it's still soggy about, but I was going to have my hobby time no matter what!
Well, right off the bat I started getting targets.. pull tabs.. *sigh* but mixed in with the inevitable were the occasional coins as well.. pennies mostly.. lots of pennies! One 1941 Wheatie as well. And that one was found in the tot lot amongst the wood chips. Most of the coins, however, were found out in the grass around some of the trees that are shady during the warmer months. This park is a favorite picnic spot after all. I even found a ring! Oh it's a cheapy little junk ring..or is it "Junque" ? and it's UUUUUGLEEEE! looks like a belt and buckle? Oh well.. there's not accounting for taste I guess. Three targets liked to drove me nuts trying to find them though. One was a short piece of metal wire.. hair thin and black! Overcast and the sun setting anyway, in the dark soil..it was virtually impossible to see. My detector said there was something there, my bullseye said there was something there, but I could NOT see it.. I had to find it with my back up pin pointers.. my fingers. "Digital detecting" <grin> The other two that gave me fits turned out to be thumb tacks. I spotted them eventually though.. didn't have to let my fingers do the seeing this two times. Grommets, buttons, wires, pins, pull tabs.. and coins.. Ok, with a cold wind blowing off of the reservoir and hands and knees soggy from the wet ground, daylight was going going gone.. I was detecting even on my way back to my truck to go home. I was still finding pennies and quarters! thankfully the Bullseye has that little LED light built in..or I wouldn't have found my last five targets. Hmmm..could that be a story for Whites? <grin> Well all good things must come to an end, and today's hunt (now yesterday) ended at dark. The park closes at dark.. I didn't fancy getting myself locked in and having to call the police to send an officer out to let me out of the park..or worse yet, getting a citation for not obeying the rules.
At home, as I warmed up with a big warm piece of bread and a bowl of fresh home made beef n' veggie soup, I dumped out my finds bag and tallied up my finds for the evening. Not a bad little haul for quite litterally less than an hour's hunt. 54 coins, a pile of pull tabs and other metal s'crap, and one UHHHHHGLEEEEEEE ring. <laughing> $2.81 in clad, one being a 1941 Wheat. Not bad at all. And I got my "Seek" on after a week's waiting and anticipation. My wife says I show all the signs of having an addiction.. to metal detecting. I guess she's right.. I'm hooked! But like Martha Stewart says.. "It's a Good Thing!" <laughing>

Here's the pics.. Enjoy! ... and as always.. HAPPY HUNTING!

10-24-07 001.jpg

10-24-07 002.jpg

10-24-07 003.jpg

10-24-07 004.jpg

10-24-07 005.jpg

That's all folks!

Frodov

Upvote 0

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If only that penny read 1942 instead of 1941, you'd be in like Flint!

Mike

Southern_Boy

Feb 2, 2007
New York State..Vestal, NY
Detector(s) used
Fischer CZ-3D
Hi Frodov:

Congrats on the Finds! Dont you just love that "Beep" when you are ready to go home.

I know the feeling and the itch we are all addicted to this hobby. I dont know what I would do without this website to show other people what we have found.

Look forward to seeing more post!

tdec1000

Jul 1, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 550 w/ 4" coil and Garrett Ace 250
gollum said:
If only that penny read 1942 instead of 1941, you'd be in like Flint!

Mike

You mean 1943 Cent. 1943 Copper cent is VERRRRY rare. Also is the 1944 Steel.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Steel pennies I've got.. I've found several over the years, and a few since I've started metal detecting this past spring. I used to work for a nationally known pizza chain that delivers.. anyway, being responsible for counting the money at the end of the day I had mountains of change pass through my hands over the years I worked for them. I would occasionally find little treasures like the steel pennies or silver dimes or quarters.. all got traded out of course.. <grin> If I still had every coin I'd found that way I'd be well on my way to a very extensive coin collection. I never did really begin a real coin collection though, and over the years those odd and or rare coins got traded off or given away. *sigh* If Only.. Oh well, Since I've been detecting I've found a few and I'm KEEPING them now. <grin> I guess I got the bug now. That '41 I found yesterday looks to have been in circulation for a while. Note the notch worn on the rim. I'm afraid that it wouldn't be a collectors piece of choice at any rate. <shrug> I'll just put it with all the other misfit wheaties I've rescued from the soil this year. <grin>

Happy Hunting all

Frodov

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ooooops. Meant 1943.

Mike

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, that's an ugly ring all right!

But hey....you got a Wheatie!!!

Just out of curiousity, how do those bottlecaps sound on a Prism?

HH,
SgtSki

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
"Bleep waaaaah... Bleep bleep waaaaah waaaaah waaaaah bleep" <laughing>

That's what they sound like if I don't have the discrimination set to ignore bottle caps.

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread