IT IS A GIRL!!! with wings & derringer

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
IT IS A GIRL!!! with wings & derringer

At least I found a couple of merks today :headbang:, not to bad!! for about 45 min. old toy gun, my brother found the name tag,??? must be a dog collar tag,also a bullet ,maybe 38,dont know what the item below the gun barrel is :dontknow:, was in mill shoals il. any body ever heard of that one?? :icon_scratch: how about you dean!!!! ever heard of mill shoals???

thanks for looking@my stuff

arthur

Attachments

• P1000165 [800x600].JPG
    P1000165 [800x600].JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 942
Upvote 0

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Re: Ladies with wings & derringer

A day finding one Merc makes it a great hunt, one of my favorite coins. However finding two makes it an outstanding hunt!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing,

HH,

Dave

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Drodda777 said:
A day finding one Merc makes it a great hunt, one of my favorite coins. However finding two makes it an outstanding hunt!! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing,

HH,

Dave

Thanks dave your right on that ,, oh I forgot too mention the mercs. and the 41-d wheat was in the same hole!!!,,, thanks for the reply,,,

arthur

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great coinage. Keep it comin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX

"Two mercs. and the 41-d wheat was in the same hole!!!"---- Que the "Happy Dance" Music!!! :thumbsup:

That was a great hole for sure!!!!

HH,

Dave

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds, that lil derringer is neat looking.

:wink: RR

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not to nit pick but Mercury is a guy not a lady.

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

Mac In Oak Ridge said:
Not to nit pick but Mercury is a guy not a lady.

Y a know you are right !!!! wow my bad ,, tried to fix it on my first posting,,,,

thanks,,,, art

M

michigan michael

Re: old mercury dude with wings & derringer

Congrats on the mercs and the gun! That gun is very cool!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

was in mill shoals il. any body ever heard of that one??

Not familiar with Mill Shoals, but spent lots of summers at my grandparents house in Sesser about 30 miles west. Great finds! Love that pistol!

DCMatt

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida

artzstuff1 said:
At least I found a couple of merks today :headbang:, not to bad!! for about 45 min. old toy gun, my brother found the name tag,??? must be a dog collar tag,also a bullet ,maybe 38,dont know what the item below the gun barrel is :dontknow:, was in mill shoals il. any body ever heard of that one?? :icon_scratch: how about you dean!!!! ever heard of mill shoals???

arthur

I've heard of Mill Shoals close to Burnt Prairie and south of Bone Gap (used to live in BG)

surprman

Apr 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III

Actually, I think your title was right the first time - a mercury dime is a woman with wings on her head. People just started calling them mercury dimes because of the similarity to the Roman god. (kind-of like how we all call pre1908 small cents "Indian Head" pennies. (Again, it is a woman in a head-dress, not a dude or someone of Native American decent). The wings and head-dress are meant to represent freedom or liberty as I recall (someone else can confirm the exact meaning).

Surprman

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

ronbo22 said:
artzstuff1 said:

arthur

I've heard of Mill Shoals close to Burnt Prairie and south of Bone Gap (used to live in BG)

For sure know where bone gap is big ,,big town ,,, about like mill shoals lol,,,, thanks for the reply,,,

arthur

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

surprman said:
Actually, I think your title was right the first time - a mercury dime is a woman with wings on her head. People just started calling them mercury dimes because of the similarity to the Roman god. (kind-of like how we all call pre1908 small cents "Indian Head" pennies. (Again, it is a woman in a head-dress, not a dude or someone of Native American decent). The wings and head-dress are meant to represent freedom or liberty as I recall (someone else can confirm the exact meaning).

Surprman

you are right suprman,, just changed it back,,lol,,the story is in the redbook!!!

thanks

arthur

OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

JuJu said:
Great coinage. Keep it comin.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Thanks juju, tryin to train my bro on a detector ,, and I think he is good and hooked now,,,lol,,, he is going to out do me I think,,,, :laughing9:

thanks for the reply,,,,

arthur

jake123

Greenie
May 6, 2009
Re: IT IS A GIRL!!! with wings & derringer

Found this article on line. It was published by Coin World.

Female Winged Liberty Head mistaken for male god Mercury

By William T. Gibbs
COIN WORLD Staff

Let's set one fact straight from the very beginning: Adolph A. Weinman never intended his design for the obverse of the new dime introduced in 1916 to represent Mercury, that male, fleet-of-foot, Roman god of messengers. The female visage (there's no hint of androgyny about her portrait, so how she could be mistaken for a male god is a mystery) on the new dime is that of Liberty, her winged cap symbolizing, in Weiman's own words, "liberty of thought," not fleetness of foot.

The Winged Liberty Head dime – popularly though erroneously known as the "Mercury dime" – is considered by many the most attractive U.S. 10-cent coin.

Weinman's dime was issued during the renaissance of U.S. coinage design, which began in 1907 and 1908 with the new gold designs; continued in 1913 with the Indian Head 5-cent coin; and reached its zenith in 1916 with stunning new designs for the dime, quarter dollar and half dollar.

The introduction of the 1916 Winged Liberty Head dime prompted nearly universal praise from the coin collecting community. Weinman's designs were instantly recognized as brilliant.

There are no truly rare dates in the Winged Liberty Head dime series, although there are some scarce die varieties that are not essential for a date and Mint mark set.

If the figure on Adolph A. Weinman's dime isn't Mercury, who was she? She was Elsie Kachel Stevens, the young wife of poet Wallace Stevens, was Weinman's model.

Wallace and Elsie Stevens rented rooms in a house owned by Weinman. The artist-sculptor asked Elsie to pose for a sculpture bust about 1913. She agreed.

Weinman used his bust of Elsie Stevens as a model for the dime, when he began designing it in 1915. A profile photograph of the bust shows the obvious inspiration for the dime.

Unfortunately, the whereabouts of Weinman's bust is unknown. It disappeared after Wallace Stevens' death, and after their daughter declined to accept it as a gift from her mother.

One thing collectors should be aware of is the large numbers of Winged Liberty Head dimes with machine doubling, especially in the date area. Machine doubling is caused by a mishap in the minting process and while considered collectible by a few, generally adds no premium to a coin. Machine doubling should not be mistaken for doubled die doubling.

Two doubled die varieties are among most desirable coins. The most significant die varieties in the series are the 1942/1 and 1942/1-D Winged Liberty Head, Doubled Die dimes, commonly called overdates.

The coins are not overdates in the traditional, pre-20th century sense (i.e., no one punched the numeral 2 over the numeral 1 in the date). Instead, they are doubled dies, just like the famous 1955 and 1972 Lincoln, Doubled Die cents.

The two varieties were created when two dies, one intended for the Philadelphia Mint and the other for Denver, were impressed first with a hub dated 1941, and then impressed a second time with a hub dated 1942.

Winged Liberty Head dime
Date of authorization: April 2, 1792
Dates of issue: 1916-1945
Designer: Adolph Weinman
Engraver: Charles Barber
Diameter: 17.91 mm/0.71 inch
Weight: 2.50 grams/0.08 ounce
Metallic content: 90% silver, 10% copper
Weight of pure silver: 2.25 grams/0.07 ounce
Edge: Reeded
Mint mark: Reverse left of base of fasces (bundle of rods)

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

very sweets finds ,not bad for a fast hunt,ok come on now admit it you did the happy dance didnt you ,come on admit it lol

Attachments

• image006.gif
    image006.gif
    239 KB · Views: 603
  • image006.gif
    image006.gif
    239 KB · Views: 602
OP
OP
artzstuff1

artzstuff1

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro's (many- 7-8)

jake123 said:
Found this article on line. It was published by Coin World.

Female Winged Liberty Head mistaken for male god Mercury

By William T. Gibbs
COIN WORLD Staff

Let's set one fact straight from the very beginning: Adolph A. Weinman never intended his design for the obverse of the new dime introduced in 1916 to represent Mercury, that male, fleet-of-foot, Roman god of messengers. The female visage (there's no hint of androgyny about her portrait, so how she could be mistaken for a male god is a mystery) on the new dime is that of Liberty, her winged cap symbolizing, in Weiman's own words, "liberty of thought," not fleetness of foot.

The Winged Liberty Head dime – popularly though erroneously known as the "Mercury dime" – is considered by many the most attractive U.S. 10-cent coin.

Weinman's dime was issued during the renaissance of U.S. coinage design, which began in 1907 and 1908 with the new gold designs; continued in 1913 with the Indian Head 5-cent coin; and reached its zenith in 1916 with stunning new designs for the dime, quarter dollar and half dollar.

The introduction of the 1916 Winged Liberty Head dime prompted nearly universal praise from the coin collecting community. Weinman's designs were instantly recognized as brilliant.

There are no truly rare dates in the Winged Liberty Head dime series, although there are some scarce die varieties that are not essential for a date and Mint mark set.

If the figure on Adolph A. Weinman's dime isn't Mercury, who was she? She was Elsie Kachel Stevens, the young wife of poet Wallace Stevens, was Weinman's model.

Wallace and Elsie Stevens rented rooms in a house owned by Weinman. The artist-sculptor asked Elsie to pose for a sculpture bust about 1913. She agreed.

Weinman used his bust of Elsie Stevens as a model for the dime, when he began designing it in 1915. A profile photograph of the bust shows the obvious inspiration for the dime.

Unfortunately, the whereabouts of Weinman's bust is unknown. It disappeared after Wallace Stevens' death, and after their daughter declined to accept it as a gift from her mother.

One thing collectors should be aware of is the large numbers of Winged Liberty Head dimes with machine doubling, especially in the date area. Machine doubling is caused by a mishap in the minting process and while considered collectible by a few, generally adds no premium to a coin. Machine doubling should not be mistaken for doubled die doubling.

Two doubled die varieties are among most desirable coins. The most significant die varieties in the series are the 1942/1 and 1942/1-D Winged Liberty Head, Doubled Die dimes, commonly called overdates.

The coins are not overdates in the traditional, pre-20th century sense (i.e., no one punched the numeral 2 over the numeral 1 in the date). Instead, they are doubled dies, just like the famous 1955 and 1972 Lincoln, Doubled Die cents.

The two varieties were created when two dies, one intended for the Philadelphia Mint and the other for Denver, were impressed first with a hub dated 1941, and then impressed a second time with a hub dated 1942.

Winged Liberty Head dime
Date of authorization: April 2, 1792
Dates of issue: 1916-1945
Designer: Adolph Weinman
Engraver: Charles Barber
Diameter: 17.91 mm/0.71 inch
Weight: 2.50 grams/0.08 ounce
Metallic content: 90% silver, 10% copper
Weight of pure silver: 2.25 grams/0.07 ounce
Edge: Reeded
Mint mark: Reverse left of base of fasces (bundle of rods)

Now thats what I call doing your research!!!! very informative,,,thanks alot for the info,,,,, :notworthy: :headbang:

arthur

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread