IT IS A GOOD DAY TO DETECT ON MASS. BEACHES, YES WE CAN !!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To all of you who helped us in Mass. to keep detecting rights on DCR beaches THANK YOU-THANK YOU-THANK YOU !!!!!!!!

Just received notification from Roger, the DCR will allow us to keep detecting the beaches WITHOUT PERMISSION !!!!! Yeah!!!'
They will also allow us to look for specific lost personal items in DCR parks with Ranger permission. Guess they figured we are good for something!

Ron will post later in general discussions, the notification Roger received from the DCR.
I tried, but me being me...well, you know how that goes!

HAPPY DAY HERE IN MASS! We will still be watching!

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am going to wait until I see just what the regulation states. It sounds like we may not be home free...DCR controls the State Park Beaches...for which I sounds like we need Ranger Permission to search for lost PERSONAL ITEMS. I hope the posting will define the type of Permission i.e. written/verbal/one time/ one season etc. and PERSONAL ITEMS your own/specific/in general?

OP
OP
M

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron is going to post the e-mail tomorrow I think, his back is hurting him today.

We were't allowed to detect in the DCR parks at all for a while now, so even that is a small victory albeit probably for the convince of tourist and general public, hard to drive home with out car keys. It probably has to be a named item.

We'll keep watching because it's probably not over, they could change their minds at any time.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hope it works out for all you mass natives....whats the term people call me...hmmm, oh yea

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Here is the reply from the DCR MassParks Team sent to Roger.
I read it as the Permission for searching for Persnal Item is for the Non-Beach areas.
I am going to carry a copy from now on...MANY, MANY Thanks are due Roger from ALL of us!

Dear Mr. Barbrick:
I am sending this email on behalf of Mrs. Ellen FitzPatrick who is currently out of office.

Thank you for your follow-up email. We apologize for any confusion and hope that this email can provide some clarification.

After receiving your latest email, I consulted with several of my colleagues in order to better understand the intent of the latest recommendation regarding our metal detecting regulation. As it pertains to metal detecting on coastal and inland beaches, permission from the park supervisor will actually not be required. I apologize for any confusion that may have been caused by the previous email. As for other non-beach areas within DCR parks and forests – where metal detecting is not currently allowed due to potential natural, cultural, and archaeological resource protection concerns – metal detecting will be allowed when searching for specific lost personal property with verbal permission from the park supervisor.

Once again, thank you for your continued interest in DCR. We hope this addresses your questions.

Sincerely,
DCR MassParks Team

So as you can see we will continue to be allowed to metal detect on all DCR coastal & inland beaches and without 1st having to seek permission, according to the above email. :-)

Below is the comeplete trail of emails ending with the above statement that we can continue to detect the DCR beaches.
Thank you all for your support and help in getting our message to the DCR.
We are not Vandals, we are Hobbiest that do much more good than most know and through our efforts I think we showed everyone the truth about what we do.
When reading the email thread below, start from the bottom and read your way up if you want to see what transpired.
Thanks again for helping me get this done! It wouldn't have happened without your phonecalls, emails and signing the petition!

Roger Barbrick (Dirtscanner)
Salem, MA

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted everything Roger Barbrick sent me in the Massachusetts forum, lengthy & repetitive, but looks like you guys are wide open!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks DEEPSEEKER especially about the MASS. forum.

I never looked beyond the Beach and Shalllow Water section.
In getting to the MASS forum...I found many other interesting forums.
For those of you that have not ventured beyond the Metal Detecting forum - take a day and learn a lot.

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank goodness. Always wanted to detect one of the beaches down there. Hearing this is fantastic news!!! :occasion14: This calls for a celebration!!! :occasion14: :wav:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news.

DDancer

Bronze Member