It takes all kinds

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
I went in to a bank today that I do not have an account with and only get to maybe once a month.
I asked if they had any halves and the teller tells me they have $500.00 worth. She then tells me that they ordered a box for one of their customers. He picked it up and the next day he brought it back and told them that it was " no good" and he wanted his money back. I took them all. The tellers were vary happy. The halves were rewrapped and all of the halves were facing the same way in the rolls. Did a quick rim check on all of them did not find anything. Took it to one of my dump banks and made a partial mortgage payment.
That is what gives CRHunters a bad name.

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I went to a branch yesterday with a free coin counter and on the garbage can next to the machine were 4 empty halves boxes. Nice work guys.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The halves were rewrapped and all of the halves were facing the same way in the rolls.

Ugh. There's 2 people in my area that do this. One of them puts all of them the same way except for one, usually on the end. They also dump a lot of loose rolls on my pick up banks.

Just ugh.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a guy who does it here too. Once I picked up a full RWD box from a WF branch. They said they order for a guy who brings them back when he's done searching them.

The box was taped up and all 50 rolls were there, but when I went to dump it via coin machine there was only $490, short $10. Presumably WF bought it back for $500 and didn't count anything. Meanwhile the re-wrapper shorted a bunch of the rolls which is dishonest and really dirty.

The guy buys it from the branch, takes out ten bucks, re-wraps the rolls, tapes the box and gives it back to the branch. That's about as good as finding two 90% if all he took was clad. What a scumbag.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I've got a guy who does it here too. Once I picked up a full RWD box from a WF branch. They said they order for a guy who brings them back when he's done searching them.

The box was taped up and all 50 rolls were there, but when I went to dump it via coin machine there was only $490, short $10. Presumably WF bought it back for $500 and didn't count anything. Meanwhile the re-wrapper shorted a bunch of the rolls which is dishonest and really dirty.

The guy buys it from the branch, takes out ten bucks, re-wraps the rolls, tapes the box and gives it back to the branch. That's about as good as finding two 90% if all he took was clad. What a scumbag.

I would have talked to the teller and told them what I found (the shortage) maybe then they would stop selling boxes to the scum bag.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Could do like one of my branch banks, when someone brings in rolls, they mark the entire lot with a batch # on a separate log sheet (unknown to the person bringing them in), so if I came in & bought the tagged rolls, found large errors etc, complain back to the bank, they in turn would know who the thief was that shorted the system.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple recent turds come to mind...

I was dumping at a bank (I always bring enough for only ONE bag change) and the guy was telling me someone else was in yesterday dumping $2k in half dollars into their machine. Definitely excessive because that is 2 bag changes and not a bin that could hold all of it.

Today a guy came in with a literal round plastic bin (you might use as laundry hamper or put ice & drinks in outside) half full of pennies and proceeded to dump the entire thing into the machine. Not only was that going to be at least 3 or 4 bag changes, but he broke the machine because he dumped way too much in. Of course that means he'd have to have the teller scoop them all out to try and fix it. He had some crappy cover story about having "a penny jar" that he's giving up on. You must buy everything in cash and ask for pennies only in change...

The people who started out years ago have the system down and know not to rock the boat...now it's the "general public" it's a lot of idiots and people who want to "get rich quick".

And I know that those people are the ones who are going to screw it all up for everyone.

On a side note, the branch I've been going to for years and everyone knows me by name and I have helped them out a ton (even grabbed them lunch if they were stuck on a long shift) got a new manager who 3 weeks in to her new job wants to charge me PER ROLL. They're all furious because she's doing that with all the small businesses too...the kind that are going to close their accounts instead of being nickeled and dimed.

Last edited:

CognitiveDissident

Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are so terrible sometimes :( I already feel bad just for inconveniencing the tellers when I pick up the boxes, I can't even imagine doing that nonsense. And for what? 10 bucks?

Crime statistics say people are becoming better over all with time but man it really doesn't feel like it sometimes.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought $500+ in someone's re-wrapped dumps not too long ago, found a ton of half-dollar-sized washers stuffed into rolls. Either it was a good box for the guy and he put them in to replace the silver he took out, or it was a skunk and he wanted to make some money back from his time spent picking it up and dumping.

Either way... screw you, buddy!

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I bought $500+ in someone's re-wrapped dumps not too long ago, found a ton of half-dollar-sized washers stuffed into rolls. Either it was a good box for the guy and he put them in to replace the silver he took out, or it was a skunk and he wanted to make some money back from his time spent picking it up and dumping.

Either way... screw you, buddy!

About 6 months ago I picked up 14 cwr at a bank and each roll had atleast 2 washers in them. I find every once in a while rolls that are short a half but, those washers really ***sed me off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread