It took a watch to turn the coins on!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I had some time this morning to swing the coil, after the Maxwell Street market (where I answered a cell phone that was ringing on the curb against the street, and found out the owner had lost it after eating breakfast nearby. I left it at the diner and he said he'd come back for it soon). I called Kermit, since he had called me earlier while I was out jogging. He didn't pick up and I KNEW he was busy at his spot! I called Mike and he was busy for the day, so it was up to me to find a spot and hunt alone. The first spot was a total bust. I was there about an hour but only scored a 1988 Jeff in the woods. Then I moved to another wooded area, and this one was even worse than the first. Tons of trash, but I did score a '38 wheatie. After that, I tried for a couple picnic groves, but they were all jam-packed with people having parties. I even tried an old school yard I have passed many times, only to find that it was chock-full of slag and little white rocks, making it impossible to pick out and dig any good signals.

By this time, I was absolutely fed up, but decided to try one more place. It's an area I have hunted before without a whole lot of success. I started out in a newer section that I hadn't detected before. Wow, TONS of trash, iron, bottlecaps, just ridiculous. I decided to call it a day and head home. On my way out of the woods, something on the ground caught the attention of my eyes. It looked like a silver chain, but at closer inspection, it was a stainless watch band. I extracted the entire watch, and it was a nice Edison timepeice. Parts of it are kind of rusty, so I doubt it will ever work again, but it gave me a little extra push to try a spot nearby for a final hoorah.

Within about twenty minutes, I had that perfect sweet deep high tone and 79-81 VDI, and that only meant one thing! I dug down about seven inches and out popped a 1918 merc. Woo-hoo! Well, if this was all I'd find, I'd have been happy, but it didn't end there.

Next, I got a bouncy nickel signal and dug a dateless buffalo. Then, I got a high tone under a root that was raised about 3 inches above the surface of the ground. I was surprised to dig 5 inches to find a sharp but somewhat crusty 1912 V. No other coins in the hole to account for the high tone, so I figured it was because the coil was so high above the nickel and off to the side a bit. Five minutes later, another one of those beautiful dime signals, and yet another 1918 merc! This one was much sharper than the first. Finally, as I was on my way out, an '07 V at two inches to top things off. I was sweaty and tired, but boy am I glad I kept on trucking. Certainly not the kinds of numbers some of you get in a day (pirates!), but a mighty good day for me. I hope you all had a great weekend! See you guys soon.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 203

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REALLY GREAT FINDS ! SOMETIMES IT PAYS TO KEEP TRYING, WTG!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Great job at persistence!
Sometimes it does pay off. Those are nice mercs and nickels. I hunted 5 hours this morning and tried an additional hour this evening -- all to show 2 wheats and an unknown token. Some days are just like that. I am glad to see that persistence does pay off.
-Jon

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to Go

:icon_thumright: Way to go twistidd........3 old Nickles and 2 nice ole silvers........Congrats man :icon_thumleft:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go bud, looks like you found a great spot!!! 2 old merc's, 3 old nickels, and a bunch of Wheaties is an AWESOME hunt in my book!!! Sorry I forgot my cell in my car and didn't get it back till about 11:30 and I was exhausted so I just called it a day. You did a whole lot better than me that's for sure, I just got a few Wheaties and a hadfull of clad.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Well maybe you oughtta try leaving more often! Nice hunt Joe!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Sweet finds Joe! :headbang:

Persistence pays dividends! You're journey today for a producing spot is very inspiring!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Nice effort and great haul of coins Joe! :thumbsup: Good thing you got that phone returned or you wouldn't have found crap today. I'm gonna have to try your strategy tomorrow, and help an old lady across the street before I go hunting. :laughing7:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, glad to see you found time for the good stuff :thumbsup:

You just never know when you're going to find it :)

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Joe! Sounds like the spot at "Awesome" grove, whick started off with old V-nickels as well. Keep pounding that site, I'm sure there's a seated there somewhere. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread