Item shows delivered, buyer says no!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a pendant by James Avery for $57. Shipped it out the next day with tracking. The tracking shows the item was delivered to the house today. I print all my labels off of eBay so they're never wrong. Now the lady opened the case saying the item was not received and she wants her money back. Because it was not delivered to her house. Am I liable to refund her it shows delivered? She asked if I insured it but even if I did once it shows delivered no insurance is going to cover that. I think she is outta luck....

I kindly told her to maybe check the neighbors house or if any family members got the mail maybe but other than that I have no idea what to tell her. Call the Post Office!

What would you do. I would understand fine if it was two or three dollars but I'm not going to refund $60 bucks because she wants it....

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stick to your guns on this. Have you checked her previous feedback? Maybe it will reveal a pattern of this?

Sent from a empty soda can!

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell her tough luck. I don't think you're responsible for anything else if it shows delivered.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be covered by ebay's seller protection, they (ebay) will probably refund her at their cost.

hallsgator

Greenie
Dec 31, 2014
East TN
Primary Interest:
Other
You are fine. I've had cases like these and they always find in the seller's favor as long as tracking says delivered. Don't refund and get it escalated to eBay.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is on the shipping company.

ups and fedex are known for having drivers running behind dropping things on door steps and signing as delivered.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I avoid any ebay related shipping during the Holiday crazy season. To many packages in the system, already.........just asking for problems. I think she is out of luck!!!!!!.....Your good.

lisfisher

Mar 5, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 2
White's classic 3sl
Garrett Infinium
Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen a few years ago after selling something on ebay. Tracking # showed delivered yet buyer swore it was not there. Case was opened and I had won the case since I had proof of delivery. You are not iable as long as you have tracking & it shows delivered.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend years ago bought a case of basketball cards from Michael Jordan's rookie year (very rare). He paid $5000.00 for the case on eBay. The seller showed a picture of the supposedly factory sealed case. The case was shipped with delivery confirmation and he also had to sign for it. When he opened the box it was full of old books. He panicked! He contacted the seller and the seller said no way that they were in the box when he shipped them. The seller had proof that he shipped them, they were delivered and signed for. It was my friends word against the sellers and in the end my friend lost $5000.00 on a box of old books.

I also sold a hunting rangefinder for over $300.00 to a man in Canada. I shipped them insured and the buyer had to sign for them. A few weeks later the customer contacted me and said he never received them? He said it was too close to hunting season and he needed them right away so I refunded his money and took my insurance slip to the post office to get reimbursed. I knew our local post master. He said the US post office had done their job and got it to Canada but once it was in Canada there was no way for the US post office to track it. I lost the $300+ rangefinder plus the $300+ refund I gave!! The insurance was worthless since it would not pay off when needed :(
Good luck with this one. I would check her feedback and if she has a lot of feedback and great feedback I would refund her. If not I would not refund her...

Both of these happened approx 15 years ago...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She said that she is devastated it has not shown up. But she also said this is the second time it has happened as well. So that leads me to believe that somebody at the post office is not doing their job or someone is stealing her mail. So I said I would contact the post office and have them do an investigation. And also she sent her mailbox is about a mile from her house so maybe a PO Box or not be a bad idea or putting a drop box out there by the road instead of a regular mailbox. But I think if I was buying gold and silver off Internet and I had no control in the box and stuff was disappearing I think I get a PO Box. Oh wait I did I've never had a problem with it! She did ask me if I would refund her money though but I told her to contact eBay because I'm not paying for the post office fault.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Don't cave in. You did your part to the letter...

sckimbershot

Feb 1, 2014
Low Country South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero

Garrett Sea Hunter 11
Primary Interest:
Other
i had the same thing happen with a sale of an item on another auction site. i always send a email indicating when to expect delivery and sometimes i omit the tracking number. the one time i didn't disclose the tracking number--i got a complaint of non delivery. well, at that point, i offered up the number--with date and time delivered. closed my own case. :laughing7:

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
being able to buy your postage off ebay and getting the tracking number put on by ebay is a big headache reliver..Best thing they have done.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If she does open a case, all you have to do is call Ebay. I had a lady open a case of a not received item. I called Ebay. Turns out the lady moved and didn't update her information. Case closed in my favor. Sorry about your other returns. I hate returns.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I had a case where I shipped two items by combined shipping. The lady who received it said she got one item but not the second item. Since both were in the same box there was no way to prove she had received the second item. Due to this I no longer combine shipping. ABout a month ago, Ebay cleared this off my feedback with no further explanation. My thought is she got caught at it one too many times.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This case is still open. And this is the email I got from eBay. I would hope they wouldn't change their mind and not refund her out of my accounts. Should I call them as well? eBay sent this message.

Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
We'll review this case and make a final decision
Hi beachkid23,

The buyer has asked eBay Customer Support to review this case and make a final decision.

We'll get back to you within 48 hours.

You can view the details of this case in the Resolution Center.

Is her calling going to change the effect of her being refunded? By me?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would call...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you use eBay shipping labels and your tracking information was automatically uploaded on eBay and the item shows as delivered, you have done your part and you are covered. Ebay should not take anything from you, to do so would be violating their own policy. I have had this exact thing happen several times in the last couple years, including one just before the holidays. I have never had eBay take any monies from my account, ever. Respond to message with the tracking number if you do anything. The case will sit open for a month tops and then it will be closed. This does not prevent the buyer from leaving negative feedback though.

silverwing

Greenie
Jun 24, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Unfortunately, this just happened to me, but on the buyer's end. I ordered something from groupon. Taking showed it delivered, but nothing in the mailbox. I have one of those community boxes where your package goes in a box underneath and you get the key. So. That package may have been delivered, but it certainly wasn't to me. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to eat the loss, which is pretty frustrating. Short Story. ... usps sucks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread