Items found on Civil War period river craft yesterday

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Callicles and I went Magnet Fishing on a Civil War river craft yesterday and found these items. Much of this is hardware from the ship's construction. Any comments about the items would be appreciated. shipwreck grouping.jpg

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Callicles and I went Magnet Fishing on a Civil War river craft yesterday and found these items. Much of this is hardware from the ship's construction. Any comments about the items would be appreciated. View attachment 1373605

Tough to say much about the nails/ spikes, etc.

An amazing array of watercraft were pressed into service on both sides during the conflict.

But I will say this: Imagine the stuff that might be down there that won't stick to a magnet !!!

In other words: get wet and get the good stuff !!!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep? Must be lots of goodies down there. Any loss of life? Do you know the name of the craft?

OP
OP
R

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep? Must be lots of goodies down there. Any loss of life? Do you know the name of the craft?

We are hunting a river in north Mississippi with several wreck sites. The boat that we are hunting was a transport vessel. We know the name of the vessel but are not at liberty to say in this forum. The water is fairly deep with a swift current. The relics are virtually impossible to retrieve other than with our magnets. Diving for them would be impossible to do.
No loss of life that we know of but we know there are muskets down there along with the ship's remains. It's going to be a slow salvage but with this drought we're having I feel we will be successful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread