42.4 KB · Views: 347
OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Re: It's all Harry's Fault

Thanks guys! The woman I bought it from had an English accent. Does that mean anything?

Fla-Gal

Feb 14, 2008

YES !!!!! It means you scored big TIME....
This must mean she had other good stuff,too...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is it and how much might it be worth? More than 4 bucks I'm sure... :icon_scratch: :hello2:

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina

Atleast 4 bucks. It's a squat cylinder from 1790 give or take.

the bulge at the heel, tells me that the push-up was done after the cylinder was shaped on the marver plate. At that point the push-up could have been done with a molette or a push-up shaped piece on the edge of the marver plate. Creating the push-up spread the diameter of the heel, making it bulge like that. Red Mathews gave me that bit of info.

I'm sure Harry can give some more info on these types.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

Road Dog said:
Atleast 4 bucks. It's a squat cylinder from 1790 give or take.

the bulge at the heel, tells me that the push-up was done after the cylinder was shaped on the marver plate. At that point the push-up could have been done with a molette or a push-up shaped piece on the edge of the marver plate. Creating the push-up spread the diameter of the heel, making it bulge like that. Red Mathews gave me that bit of info.

I'm sure Harry can give some more info on these types.
Using the descriptive terms from Roger Dumbrell's, UNDERSTANDING ANTIQUE WINE BOTTLES, I would call your bottle a "cylindrical" wine bottle, rather than a "squat cylinder". I think of these two forms as "tall cylinders" and "squat cylinders" to make the distinction clearer. Here's a comparison:
blackglasscylinders.jpg

Many tall cylinders were dip-mold blown, not marvered. I cannot determine from your image if your tall cylinder was molded, but it could easily be. Look for the mold mark around the circumference of the bottle where the shoulder starts. You can see the dip-mold marks in this crude tall cylinder.
blackdipmold1770.jpg

Dumbrell gives these dates for the two forms of cylinders:
Squat cylindrical wine bottles, circa 1740 to 1830
[tall] Cylindrical wine bottles, circa 1735 to 1830
(Three-piece mold cylindrical wine bottles, circa 1811 to 1900.)

I do agree with Red that the kick-up squeezed more glass into the bottom of the cylinder creating some pressure to expand. Further the glass in the kick-up became thicker, retaining more heat and plasticity while the rest of the bottle was rapidly cooling and becoming rigid. What we see as a result is slumping at the heel of the bottle.

OP
OP
Road Dog

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina

Thanks Harry, No mold marks on this one. I'll measure the height when I get home.

It is about 9 3/4" tall.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida

Road Dog said:
Thanks Harry, No mold marks on this one. I'll measure the height when I get home.

It is about 9 3/4" tall.
The diameter of your bottle at the base might be more important. I found Dumbrell's formula for distinguishing between cylinders and squat cylinders. Here it is:

"In squat cylindrical wines the base to shoulder height is approximately 1-1/3 [1.33] times the base diameter whereas in the true cylindrical bottle the base to shoulder height is at least 1-1/2 [1.50] times the base diameter."

That is:
TRUE CYLINDER - Height of the shoulder divided by the diameter of the base gives a result of at least 1.5.
SQUAT CYLINDER - Height of the shoulder divided by the diameter of the base gives a result of approximately 1.33.

I hope you'll test your bottle against this formula. Put a ruler against the side of the bottle. Where the line of the cylinder wall starts to veer from straight is the point to take your measurement of shoulder height.

I took four bottles to test my perception against this formula, and my eye agrees with the formula.

blackglasscylindersquats.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions