Its been a long time.....! For that Seated Coin.......

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been quite some time since I found a Seated Silver coin......Having detected so many old areas and have found them in the past...... "Its been a while" :) With not many nice days left here in Western New York , I know my time is limited. So i knew of this one Old Farm on Rt.78 about 20 minutes from my house that has a large grass Field along the road and in the middle is a huge old tree with what looks to be a depression just to the left of it .

P9120022 Large Web view.jpg

So many times I went by that farm on my way to other sites but never made my way there to ask permission ... So now it was about Noon here on Friday and the sun was shining, the temp in the upper 50's ......I had one plan! It was to go and ask to hunt around that Big tree.

When I arrived it was great timing, a red truck pulled in right behind me so I made my way over, introduced my self and mentioned what I had in mind. So Linda the girl I spoke with was very interested in metal detecting and said no problem go right on and have fun! :D

Now as I headed over to the tree that was a short distance from where I parked ,I was looking for any signs of an old house being here. In between the grass you could see dirt and near the tree I found a piece of white pottery...........Thats all I needed to see so I began to detect.

First I found this strange gold plated (Pin) as you can see it has some strange engravings on it so any help with that would be appreciated!

P9130040 Large Web view.jpg

Now as I continued I happen to find some early flat buttons once again ...a great sign of the time period and how old this old Homestead may have been. Then was a welcome find an 1851 large Cent....in nice condition. If you can read the date I would say there nice. So with the sun still shining I Had no intensions of leaving this place ,with a few more items found ( a boot heal and a couple more buttons) ......out came the big surprise :o This great Seated quarter down only 5 to 6 inches and she was a beauty. Now I have not found a seated coin in a very long time. So that made for a great day.

P9120033 Large Web view.jpg

P9130039 Large Web view.jpg

So now feeling good and knowing there are some nice finds here, I stayed a couple more hours and found a variety of nice Relics ....more buttons, musket ball, old suspender buckle,another boot heal plus some Iron items.......I am just glad that the weather here is still nice and we can still get out Detecting with Winter (with plenty of Snow) just around the corner....some places are getting blasted like up north, they got several inches of snow yesterday. Like there the detecting season may be over....Lets hope for the melt down! ;)
Take care and good luck out digging!!!

The Seeker

Attachments

• P9120024 Large Web view.jpg
    P9120024 Large Web view.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 717
  • P9120032 Large Web view.jpg
    P9120032 Large Web view.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 718
Upvote 0

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds seeker. I believe those finds would also make my day. Get out there and do it again!

rednek

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
That is just plain sweet Seeker! Glad you had a chance to get out today. Very fine digs! I have never found a silver coin....BUT I WILL!!!!!!!!! ;D

~Nashoba~

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Beautiful Finds John.....that ladies pin is excellent...almost looks like it had a small chain attached in order to pin her watch to her. Looks Like it says N 120
That seated Quarter is just too sweet. Glad you were able to take the day and just hunt . Looks like you found some nice buttons and that large cent rocks. Wonder what that large ring was used for?
Great site and I hope you get a chance to return. Dig while you can ,snow is just around the corner!

Dig This

Dec 26, 2005
western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
The finds look excellent. you found silver NICE. good thing I didnt go, that would have been mine lol

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
outstanding finds and good eye spotting that site!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeker,you're an inspiration to all us relic hunters. :)Great finds as usual. Love them 19th century coins and relics.HH-MM2

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds and a great hunch of a site! You might consider playing the lotto this weekend, LOL! Congrats and HH, Mike

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
WOW SEEKER, THAT'S A GREAT LOOKING SEATED LIBERTY QUARTER! I HAVE NEVER FOUND A SEATED QUARTER, AS A MATTER OF FACT I'VE ONLY FOUND TWO SEATED COINS (A HALF DIME & AND A DIME). WAY TO GO! I WOULD LOVE TO FIND A COIN LIKE THAT. NOW GO BACK AND DO THAT WHOLE FIELD IN A GRID PATTERN. IF IT WAS ME I'D GO BACK TOMORROW!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Sometimes the best stuff is right in those spots you drive past all the time....

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeking out hot spots...no wonder you're called "Seeker". I'm telling when you seek out a hot spot you really get one. :o Splendid finds. ;D Congratulations!!

RR ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Congrats big time on the awesome Seated.
That had to be exciting! The bell pin thing is very cool.

Thanks for sharing your story, finds, and pics!!

Smiles!
BDoo

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Beautiful quarter Seeker. I have yet to find any seated coin, but have been with someone who has, so I know I wasn't far off!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome dig's Seeker.....My kinda find's....I'd rather hunt the field's than anywhere,farmer's droppin' stuff,old home's no longer there...Never know what you'll find...Nice job!!!!!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go!
Follow those instincts.
Like you said, get out when you can. We had temps in the 70's a couple days ago, and then got this:

Attachments

• 111006 003.jpg
    111006 003.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 569
  • 111006 003.jpg
    111006 003.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 550

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
That seated quarter is in excellent shape! Way to go on that find!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread