Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Bent But What The Hay!-*Restored Photo Added*

I have attached the restored belt plate to the bottom of this message.

A well done job by Roland Frodigh of Hallowed Ground Restorations.

I found this a week and a half ago but just got the photos taken.

This is a ca. 1810 militia belt plate that was issued by the Federal Government to the states to use for their militias uniforms. As I understand the story, when the War of Northern Aggression broke out the Southern States armory's issued these to the Confederate Army troops. They were available and put into service. The Northern States didn't need to use old equipment and they were not issued to their armies. So, it is a Confederate Civil War item. This seems to be indentified as the "Star of Stars" plate because the big star is made up of smaller stars.

The belt loop and hook are rusted off, they left rust deposits on the back of the plate.

I can say it was quite a thrill to see one of the cannons and part of the shield peeking out of a clod of dirt. Another piece of history saved from rotting away in the ground.

I have contacted a restorer about straitening it out so it will display well. When that is accomplished I'll post it on here.

If anyone reading this has any more information about the plate please fill us all in.

Attachments

• CIMG2261.jpg
    CIMG2261.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 2,964
  • CIMG2264.jpg
    CIMG2264.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,961
  • Back-2.jpg
    Back-2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,960
  • Restored-1.jpg
    Restored-1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 854
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's Bent But What The Hay!

relic lover said:
Very nice dig. Can't wait to see it restored, I wonder what that it would cost :icon_scratch:

RL, I see this buckle is your avatar. Can you fill us in on the story behind it and post a larger photo here? I'd sure like to know anything about these buckles.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please do have it restored ! and show us the results :headbang: heck of a find :icon_sunny: MaineRelic

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:thumbsup:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I just dont understand!!!! BANNER!! :protest:
This plate is a relic hunters dream find!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bent or not it's a great find. There's at least three professional relic restorers I know of that could tackle that. I tend to be against restoration when it adds material to a find, but for a bend if the find was a good candidate I'd do it.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Curious The George said:
relic lover said:
Very nice dig. Can't wait to see it restored, I wonder what that it would cost :icon_scratch:

RL, I see this buckle is your avatar. Can you fill us in on the story behind it and post a larger photo here? I'd sure like to know anything about these buckles.
The only thing I know is that it is an militia artillery officers sword belt plate circa 1810. I'll try to find the pics of my dig but meantime you can click on my made the banner link under my avatar.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you all for the good words about the find.

Relic Lover, thanks for telling me how to find your plate. That was a great find for you.

I have sent photos to a recommended restorer and it's been about a week and a half and I haven't heard back from him. I am going to start looking for someone else who may be interested in restoring it.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Nice find! If you can get your head out of the sand for a moment (lol), go to "My Best Finds", select the "Post Your Favorite Buckles" thread and scroll down to vermontpackrat's post where you will see the same buckle in nice condition, and his mention of its use in the War of 1812. If you contact him, possibly he has more info about this interesting buckle you both found. Andi

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice plate...can't wait to see it restored.

NJ

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks and Congrats to you too. please post any history you you dig up on it I am always learning as well

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool find !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Maybe make banner if you had it straitened, not sure though thats just an assumption. :dontknow:
Regardless, that's an awesome find that most of us dream of !! :notworthy: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Very cool find !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Maybe make banner if you had it straitened, not sure though thats just an assumption. :dontknow:
Regardless, that's an awesome find that most of us dream of !! :notworthy: :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

It should make banner no matter the slight bend! WHat is wrong here? Its a 200 year old relic thats been buried n the ground for most of its life what does it need to look like to find itself in its rightful place upon the banner? :protest:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Curious The George said:

Relic Lover, thanks for telling me how to find your plate. That was a great find for you.

I have sent photos to a recommended restorer and it's been about a week and a half and I haven't heard back from him. I am going to start looking for someone else who may be interested in restoring it.

Was it this guy? If not, he does very good work.

Leonard Short

540-230-5442

[email protected]

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Curious The George said:

Was it this guy? If not, he does very good work.

Leonard Short

540-230-5442

[email protected]
I think it not best to name the person on this site. I have no idea why the person has not responded. Could be involved in some personal issue and just can't get to it.

All I can say is that I sent a person who is well respected for restoration of CW artifacts, he answered back asking for photos so he could give me a estimate for the restoration. I sent the photos in two different emails. Waited a week and sent a message asking if the person got the photos and it has been another week and I have not heard from the person.

My concern is if this person takes his good old time answering inquires how long would the person sit on my buckle and not respond about the progress. I have no problem with an artist taking their time on something like this. In my opinion there is 4-6 hrs., at the most, in fixing this thing. I don't want to beg and plead for 6 months to get it back. And a person that doesn't promptly respond to inquiries, in my experience, will not be cooperative once the item is in their possession.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread