Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's bug season a gain!

Just a reminder to everyone to take their insect repellent along when venturing out. It's bug season and they are very hungry. I made a 1 hour hunt at a local park a few days ago and found 3 ticks on me after I got home. I didn't find one until last night when I took a shower and is was....well....I'll just say it was hidden. :D Be sure to check all over and have someone else check your back and shoulders. Be sure to carry some minor first aid gear along too in case of a wasp sting or if you have to remove a tick. And for God's sake be mindful of the poison ivy too. Last spring I saw some tiny little bugs flying out of a hole in the ground and walked over to check it out. I got close enough to find out it was yellow jackets and dang they burn like fire when they sting. These were of a variety I had never seen before, really tiny, not even as big as a honey bee. Anyway, be careful out there. Monty

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's bug season a gain!

Hey Monty in california we have those little suckers and boy do they hurt :-[ My dad use to call um meat bees ???

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II

Couldn't you have posted yesterday????? I went out this morning, and took a great big deep breath of fresh gnats. A small group (maybe 50) of mosquitoes decided to picnic on my (somewhat) bald cranium, and as I was driving away from the site, I found a small mobile mole (read tick) up their as well. I was warned about poison ivy, dogs, rats, snakes, and crazies. Nobody ever mentioned bugs. ;) bodyguard

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350

Taking odorless garlic tablets or gelcaps,will help keep the mosquito's off of ya.And will also keep ticks at bay too.I take 2000 mg everyday and haven't had a tick or mosquito on me in years..And alos very good for the heart.......just my .02 happy hunting rh

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250

All the yellow jackets in my area are smaller than honeybees & meaner than the devil . Didn't even know they came bigger . I ran my lawn mower right on top of a nest last summer & the buggers darkend the sky around me . I left the mower like my butt was on fire which it was & don't let nobody tell you that you can't still run fast . Good thing the mower had a seat switch or it would still be running .

IT'S CHIGGERS I HATE

hasbeen

Jan 4, 2006

Ticks and chiggers seem to be more plentiful every year.60 years ago I very seldom removed a tick or had a chigger bite but the past ten years the population seems to have exploded.

Lots of yellow jackets around here but I can only remember being stung once while I was weedeating.Lots of bumble bees,hornets,and wasps around also.Thankfully there few fire ants and scorpions in this area.

There are some copperheads and rattlesnakes around but I've never encountered one while detecting.

hasbeen

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relikhunter said:
Taking odorless garlic tablets or gelcaps,will help keep the mosquito's off of ya.And will also keep ticks at bay too.I take 2000 mg everyday and haven't had a tick or mosquito on me in years..And alos very good for the heart.......just my .02 happy hunting rh

If this works you will be my new hero. Just a little heads up :D

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle

My reaction to tick and chiggers bites gets worse every year! I think there are more plentiful too. I will try the garlic tabs and see if that helps :o

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II

Oh, BTW another reminder since we're on the subject... have any of you peoples ever get the "Lyme" vaccine? I work outside, and after a major bout of ticks in the area about 4 years ago, I thought it might be a good idea. I got the shots, and so far so good :0 Just wondering if anyone else here has thought about it, and/or gotten them.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

i walk my dog in the woods a lot,, and try to hunt all year.. and the ticks here in mass only hibernated in jan and feb.... rest of the year they stayed out.... :'( :'(

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You can take a knife and dig around some loose bark on just about any tree around here and find live ticks hiding from the cold in the dead of winter. As soon as it warms up, the lettle devils crawl out and wait patiently for a host to wonder by. If you are sitting still they will actually come to you if you are, say leaning up against the tree. They are drawn by carbon dioxide from your breath. That is their signal that dinner is on. Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I havn't had a problem this year yet.

Makes me wonder if the bugs know something
I don't. & are still hybernating till after another
Sub Freezing Snow storm.

I havn't heard many geese either.
which usually would have flown over by now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread