Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's cold in Wyoming

I got up this morn in Casper Wyo. at 4:am and it was 21 deg. below zero. Every idle big rig around me ran through the whole night. Took this pic north of Buffalo Wyo. I didn't see allot of picture prefect shots on this road trip. Going north on I-25 past Loveland, Colo yesterday I saw at least 7 cars in the ditch and then a lady in a Jeep Cherokee went by me at 70 mph and lost it right in front of me as she pulled back in, she was okay. I can't understand these people who should clearly be seeing other vehicle in the ditch and don't think theirs won't do the same if they keep driving fast:icon_scratch:. Wyoming and Montana had clear roads for most the drive and it was sunny, but still very cold. I think the high was 17 degrees. My body aches in this kind of climate.

Attachments

• cold wyo.jpg
    cold wyo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
6* here yesterday morning, with 20mph wind. Now, we have 1" snow, but it warmed-up to 24*.
Jim

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people just do not heed the signs of the icy conditions and must think that if they have an all-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive they are incapable of losing control of their vehicle.
Good luck and Stay warm!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yes. All that weight on a few inches of rubber should just zip right along on ice. I have tooted the horn and waved at guys in the ditch that had blown by me only to spin out later. As if my speed was for no reason....
Twenties above for lows here. Can feel old wounds for sure. Beautiful out while it is fresh. Another month though,l.o.l..

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people just do not heed the signs of the icy conditions and must think that if they have an all-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive they are incapable of losing control of their vehicle.
Good luck and Stay warm!
I know and I wish those car commercials on TV would knock it off with the BS they show prospective buyers on how fast you can sail down a snowy highway with an AWD vehicle. In my mind I think the manufactures that advertise that way are somewhat suggesting something very unsafe and I think them responsible for some of the accidents people have in thinking their new AWD Audi you can take out and drive like it like your in the world class auto rally in bad winter weather road conditions. Inertia forces are not limited to any particular design of a drive-train. That lady was an idiot and I'm glad I saw that coming in time.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few years ago, no, way back in 1982, we got a huge snow in Central Texas. My brother-in-law lived about 35 miles from us and was at our house, having just been released from a hospital a few blocks away. He wanted to get home as soon as possible. My wife would have no part of us not following him part of the way home to make sure he was ok. We kept following him, mile after mile. I kept telling my wife that we should turn back before the road started freezing over. The snow had melted during the day. Well, to please her, we followed him all the way to his house. Finally, we started back. About the time we started back toward home, the road started freezing. It was quite wet and soon it was a mirror of ice. I was driving about 15 miles an hour. A Chevy came up behind us. A man and a woman. We were on I35, two lanes each way of course. The Chevy slowly passed us. About a quarter mile, past us, it spun out and stopped in the median. My wife wanted to stop and help them. I told her no way, if we stop, we may never get started again! There was a house across the road and they could walk to it for help. We made it home ok; but it was a long, long drive at 15 miles an hour.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A few years ago, I drove from Ely, Nevada to Wells Nevada at 35 MPH in 4 wheel drive. A mere 139 miles. 3" of unplowed snow on the hiway, and I was the first rig over the road after the snow. Those kinds of trips are NEVER fun....LOL. Most of us northern Rockies guys could write PAGES of stories about driving in really ugly conditions.
Jim

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snowing since Monday here in Summit County and still at it, maybe clearing Sunday night. Around a foot accumulation so far. Temps not real bad; 20's in the day and close to 0 at night. Actually, we stayed a little warmer than the front range. Local traffic has been runnin smoothly, not counting I-70. Best thing to remember is 4-wheel drive don't mean 4-wheel stop!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I sure am a wuss. Temp was 40* this evening and I built a big fire and bundled up. I'd die in some of the places you folks call home.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, it's 6:35 a.m. MST. My outside thermometer is showing 7 degrees, there's about 3 to 4 inches of snow on the ground, and the predicted high is for 24 degrees today. It cleared last night. It was still cloudy when I went to bed. The snow stopped yesterday afternoon, except for a little 'spitting' now and then. Yesterday morning it started with just a few very fine flakes, stopped off and on, then warmed up to about mid 30s at mid day. Some of the snow melted and was dripping off the house. Then it started getting colder again, the snow started up big time, and here we are now. lol
I really feel sorry for the dogs. They have to go outside to do their thing. We have two. One is a lab/Australian cattle dog mix, but was sheared a little late in the year and isn't fully 'coated'. My little chi/terrier is very short haired and cold natured. The big dog doesn't seem to be bothered much with the cold since she is only out for a few minutes at a time. I have some sweaters that I put on my little one, but she still comes back in shivering. She will go only a couple of feet off the back step to do her business, then runs back to the door, where I'm standing to let her in. Neither dog goes out more that about 3 times a day, and only for a few short minutes at a time. I still would hate to have go out every time I had to pee!
Sure glad I'm retired, there's food in the house, plenty of heat, and such. I'm just gonna sit back, look out the window, watch some football, maybe a movie, and later in the evening maybe mix a drink.
Hope everybody has as great a time today as I plan to have!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds good Red. It's days like this that make me REALLY happy I don't do concrete work anymore. After 40 years of that, it's nice be in the house when the wind's howling outside....LOL. Ditto on the dogs...my beagle is just like your....get the business done, and get back in the house. When the weather's nice, she monkeys around for 15 minutes, and then complains because the door isn't open when she finally decides to come in....Ha!
Jim

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Clear and cold this morning. It was 6 degrees at 6 a.m. this morning. We're supposed to see 33 tomorrow and about 36 on Wednesday. 'Course another chance of snow for the last part of the week and weekend.
As I said, if I don't have to be out in it and can sit and watch it, I enjoy it. I do feel for the people who must make a living out in it; or even drive to work in it.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, I drove from Ely, Nevada to Wells Nevada at 35 MPH in 4 wheel drive. A mere 139 miles. 3" of unplowed snow on the hiway, and I was the first rig over the road after the snow. Those kinds of trips are NEVER fun....LOL. Most of us northern Rockies guys could write PAGES of stories about driving in really ugly conditions.
Jim
You'd been SOL getting stuck out there on that road with that kind of weather. I've been down it a few times, but never in conditions you describe. I don't like that road on a good day. It has an unpleasant sense to it, or so it seems to me.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snowing since Monday here in Summit County and still at it, maybe clearing Sunday night. Around a foot accumulation so far. Temps not real bad; 20's in the day and close to 0 at night. Actually, we stayed a little warmer than the front range. Local traffic has been runnin smoothly, not counting I-70. Best thing to remember is 4-wheel drive don't mean 4-wheel stop!
I've not got my taste yet this year of the full brunt of Colorado Rockies winter weather yet this year. It'll be soon though. Each and every year is getting worse with the additional foolish drivers heading up there.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You'd been SOL getting stuck out there on that road with that kind of weather. I've been down it a few times, but never in conditions you describe. I don't like that road on a good day. It has an unpleasant sense to it, or so it seems to me.
LOL....driving thru McGill would give anybody a bad sense. Honestly, I've never minded that road. First time I drove it, I was 16. Been over it many times. But it sure can get ugly fast when the weather hits. In the old days, they needed rotary plows on special trains to keep the tracks open. That was 100 years ago, and the climate has warmed-up, and dried out a lot since then.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread