Its End Game

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Somehow your author had reason to seek out Morriss so that those conditions and interviews on the matter could be arranged. So very clearly your unknown author knew something of the matter prior to those interviews. But what, and just how much did he already know? And how did he know?

In 1863 these most revealing interviews are interrupted due to important business affairs in Richmond. By this time Jackson Ward has become a thriving black community. What, dare I ask, could be so important that it would draw unknown author away from such revealing interview? Hmmmmm......
Dunno... do YOU...?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1863 these most revealing interviews are interrupted due to important business affairs in Richmond. By this time Jackson Ward has become a thriving black community...
In 1863, Richmond was the Capitol of the Confederate States of America, the Capitol of the State of Virginia, and Richmond city government, which was divided into Wards.
Scroll down this site for a listing of the Richmond city government:
1863 Richmond Directory
Notice there is NO Jackson Ward in 1863 Richmond.
Jackson Ward was created in 1871 during Reconstruction by the Federal government, then IT BECAME "a thriving black community" of freedmen and freemen born of color.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In 1863, Richmond was the Capitol of the Confederate States of America, the Capitol of the State of Virginia, and Richmond city government, which was divided into Wards.
1863 Richmond Directory
Jackson Ward was created in 1871 during Reconstruction by the Federal government, then IT BECAME "a thriving black community" of freedmen and freemen born of color.
GREAT R & I, ECS!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1863... What, dare I ask, could be so important that it would draw unknown author away from such revealing interview? Hmmmmm......
Let's think about that, what was going on in Richmond and in Virginia, for that matter, in 1863? Hmmmmm.....
Could it be the War of Northern Aggression?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
NOW, FURTHER... 1863 of the CONFEDERATE WAR; Stonewall JACKSON was shot & later died... IF! Maj. FC Hutter (CSA PAYMASTER) was the person/author interviewing RM, FC Hutter WOULD have had to return to Richmond, Va., since Stonewall JACKSON was Gen. RE Lee's "right hand man"! 1863 was ALSO the year that RM died at the Roslin Street address (seen it; VERY SHORT Street above Tobacco Warehouses of 12th Street). MORE, later... (HINT): 1863 - Gen. Jackson's body was conveyed by train to Lynchburg, Va., where it was TRANSFERRED to a "Packet Boat"... THE MARSHALL, to go UP-RIVER, on the James, to Lexington, Va.; VMI! JACKSON & MARSHALL, Heh... G'nite!

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's think about that, what was going on in Richmond and in Virginia, for that matter, in 1863? Hmmmmm.....
Could it be the War of Northern Aggression?

On April 2, 1863 in the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia, thousands of people, mostly women, broke into shops and began seizing clothing, shoes, food and even jewelry before the Militia arrived to restore order.

Jefferson Davis gave a speech and even threw the money from his pockets to the rioters, asking them to disperse, saying "You say you are hungry and have no money; here, this is all I have". The mob stayed put; only when Davis threatened to have militiamen fire on the mob did they disperse.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1863 Richmond Directory

You are correct ECS, that is why I mentioned the Freedman's Bureau or Society they were formed in 1871 all over the South to look after interest of the now freed blackmen.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1863 Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation which sent shock waves throughout the south.

Jackson Ward was established many years prior to 1863 and in its infancy it was not a part of Richmond proper. This is well documented through many sources. ECS, once again you are posting very desperate and very misleading information in defense of your personal pet agenda. All one has to do is to jump online and they'll quickly discover that Jackson Ward was established many years prior as part of an outlaying development, outside of Richmond proper. :laughing7:

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
In 1863 Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation which sent shock waves throughout the south.

Jackson Ward was established many years prior to 1863 and in its infancy it was not a part of Richmond proper. This is well documented through many sources. ECS, once again you are posting very desperate and very misleading information in defense of your personal pet agenda. All one has to do is to jump online and they'll quickly discover that Jackson Ward was established many years prior as part of an outlaying development, outside of Richmond proper. :laughing7:

Alright..looking for references, no offence ECS.

--Richmond: A Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary

http://www.aahistoricsitesva.org/items/show/221?tour=14&index=17#.VoiR7_krLIU

(Below from http://www.richmond.com/discover-richmond/article_dbac25ba-2adb-5cee-888b-f79f8be02e6d.html)

The 1700s
Originally a German-American neighborhood, Jackson Ward was home to free blacks in the late 1700s, and many of them owned small shops there. After the Civil War, the black population in the district grew as segregation laws separated the races and the city’s boundaries expanded. By the late 1800s, the neighborhood was a hotbed of black entrepreneurship.

The below article is interesting ...where it basically mentions blacks needed to create their own financing system as whites were not inclined to provide them loans.

http://dirt.asla.org/2014/10/29/jackson-ward-in-flux/

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Bigscoop, it was not an official represented Ward of Richmond, as the 1863 Richmond Directory reveals. Yes the Jackson area was established as noted, but it was NOT a Ward of Richmond until 1871, when, after 1871, it became the thriving black community of which you base the Beale theory on.
Would you not consider this on your part, the providing misleading information in defense of your personal pet agenda?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, it was not an official represented Ward of Richmond, as the 1863 Richmond Directory reveals. Yes the Jackson area was established as noted, but it was NOT a Ward of Richmond until 1871, when, after 1871, it became the thriving black community of which you base the Beale theory on.
Would you not consider this on your part, the providing misleading information in defense of your personal pet agenda?

:laughing7:....not at all. I don't care if they called it the Virginia Pumpkin Patch prior to it becoming an "Official Ward" of the city. As it relates to this thread/new theory, as it has all throughout history, Jackson Ward is simply being used as a "historical reference" to the black colonizing that began on the land in question long before the civil war. I figure since nearly every historian who has written about the land has done the same thing that it would be perfectly acceptable for me to do so as well. :laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Alright..looking for references, no offence ECS...
No worries, releventchair.
Most of what you linked confirms my statements, that Jackson Ward did not became the thriving Black community until after the Civil War- I liked the mention that US Gen U S Grant named that area in Richmond, JACKSON WARD, which explains why it was not mentioned or refered to in the 1863 Richmond Directory link that I posted. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Go here then.....:laughing7:......if this wasn't considered to be part of the general Richmond region, then what did they call this region through the era of the Beale papers?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7:....not at all. I don't care if they called it the Virginia Pumpkin Patch prior to it becoming an "Official Ward" of the city. As it relates to this thread/new theory, as it has all throughout history, Jackson Ward is simply being used as a "historical reference" to the black colonizing that began on the land in question long before the civil war. I figure since nearly every historian who has written about the land has done the same thing that it would be perfectly acceptable for me to do so as well. :laughing7:
What about the Italian and German craftsmen who actually first settled in those outskirts of Richmond that became Jackson Ward in 1871, mein herr? It was not the totally Black community that you continue to promote.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries, releventchair.
Most of what you linked confirms my statements, that Jackson Ward did not became the thriving Black community until after the Civil War- I liked the mention that US Gen U S Grant named that area in Richmond, JACKSON WARD, which explains why it was not mentioned or refered to in the 1863 Richmond Directory link that I posted. :icon_thumright:

:laughing7:....Nobody is arguing that it eventually rose to be considered the black Wall Street of America. In fact I believe that has been referenced several times. What is the subject of this thread/new theory is its roots/history. Wouldn't make any difference if it eventually became the new site of Disney Land after the Beale paper era. :laughing7: May I suggest that you make study of "black history" in Jackson Ward during the Beale paper era and not after it.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the Italian and German craftsmen who actually first settled in those outskirts of Richmond that became Jackson Ward in 1871, mein herr? It was not the totally Black community that you continue to promote.

Man, you're just not reading what has been posted, too focused on what you want, need to defend. Read Jefferson's notes on African colonization "in the state" and what he believed was required before that possibility could be determined. You even posted a link to yet another source that details this very thing taking place on the land that would eventually officially become Jackson Ward and a very influential, successful, black community. :laughing7: "Rome was not built in a day!"

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Go here then.....:laughing7:......if this wasn't considered to be part of the general Richmond region, then what did they call this region through the era of the Beale papers?
From 1817 to 1871, I do not know, Do you? After 1871, it became Jackson Ward, named by U S Grant during Reconstruction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread