Its Friday night - Guess who brought the 40s?!

Silversound

Jul 11, 2009
SoCal
It's Friday night - Guess who brought the 40's?!

This afternoon after doing a dump I got a craving to feed my silver addiction and made plans to do a road trip to an area outside of town that I had some success with last week. I had found a bank that I believe was someone's dump bank, as there were an abundance of halves there that the teller was more than happy to get rid of as it seemed she had been carrying them for a while. She was very happy that I was a collector saying "Well, now I know who to give them to!" and I had told here that I would be back later on to pick up any more she collected. I decided I would head back and make good on my word today, however I had to run a few local errands in first.
As I finished my errands I ran in to a Wells Fargo next door that I had had some success with only a few days earlier. Unfortunately, I got the same teller and she remembered me from before. Sometimes this is a good thing, but this time she pulled the old "Do you have an account with us?" and I got the shaft as a result. Lesson learned - space out your visits. Don't get too greedy or excited.
As I left that bank I approached the crosswalk, looked up, and suddenly realized that there was another bank right across the street that I had seen for years but never went in. I was slightly pressed for time, as I wanted to make it to my out of town banks before they closed and I still had to head home to drop some stuff off. I figured what the heck, I'm here, I may as well check the place out.
I was a Chase bank, and Chase has been taking over a lot of banks out here in SoCal lately. Being my first time in, I didn't know what to expect. When I went up to the teller and asked for any halves they had kicking around, he asked how much I wanted. I said "All of them." He looked at me, then said "Ok, hold on a sec" and went over to talk to another person who I assume was a supervisor. When he came back he said "We have about 16.50 in loose halves and a few boxes in the back. How much would you like?" Fortunately, I had dumped my last box that morning and just so happened to be carrying the money in my pocket, so I picked up the box. I will write up a report on that box once I've gone through it.
Feeling stoked for my new box and box source, I made my way home to drop off my stuff. When I got home I realized that time was running out - it was 3:30 and I had to hurry to make it to the other banks before they closed as I was taking the bus and transferring to the train! I started praying that I would get there in time - saying "I have more than enough time! I have more than enough time!" and rushed to the bus stop. When I finally got to the bank I looked down at my watch - 5:33. Bummer. It was closed. However, I knew that there were about 3 or 4 banks in the area I could hit - and one that I had a definite feeling about. I hurried my way to the first one - only a few halves in the drawer and no silver. I took them anyway. Karma. I ran to the next one that I knew was open until 6 - same deal. Since it was getting late I decided to pick up a box of pennies as well, just in case.
So here I was, it must have been about 5:50 at this time, I had a box of pennies strapped to my back, was on foot, and about 6 city blocks away from my secondary target bank. I had no clue if they were even open until 6 or not, but I was here and I was going to try. I got my mantra rolling again and made my way, magnetically pulled as my silver senses went off the charts. I finally got to the bank - 5:59. As I rushed through the door of the tall building a security guard stopped me - "Hey! Are you looking for the bank!? It's right over here, but you've only got about one minute!" I pulled a u-turn and got in the door just in time - 6:00.
I stood there catching my breath, sweating from the So Cal evening sun, and grateful for the bank's frigid A/C. The tellers both gave me a bit of a look - Here I was - sweating, panting, and lugging around a backpack that seems to have bricks in it, but I knew, I KNEW there was silver there.
I got up to the first teller and asked her if she had any halves laying around "No, none in the drawer" However, as it always seems to happen, the other teller overheard and said "I may have some in my drawer - wait, I've actually got some rolls over here as well! How many would you like?"
"I'll take them all!"
She said she had 3 rolls that had been sitting there for months and was glad to hand them over to me. I'd heard this story before and I knew how it ended. I had a great feeling about them!
Feeling victorious already, I took my hard-won halves in to the shaded courtyard outside the building to rest, relax, and look through my find.
Roll #1 - As I pulled the halves out of the first roll, I immediately saw that sweet silver edge. Pulling it out revealed a nice 67. Bingo. Looking at the edges a little closer, my eyes caught yet another one. I pulled it out and saw a good 'ol 64 staring right back at me. I was already stoked but nothing prepared me for what was about to happen.
Roll #2 - I opened up the paper and let the coins slide in to the palm of my hand and as I did so, my jaw dropped as a silent f-bomb slipped from my mouth. All I could see were silver edges. My heart raced yet again as I flipped them over quickly to sort through them - the first two were nothing - was it a mirage? No, after those, it was like the flood gates had been opened. 65. 66. 67. Then, the same pattern again - 65. 66. 67. Two more misses, then they came again - 69. 65. 66. 68. 68. 66. I was freaking out! All said and done, that one roll yielded 12/20 silvers - all 40%. My hard work and determination had paid off big time. I sat there in the shade and cooled off with some water and reveled in my day's find.
Here's to a good couple of 40's to cap off the week! Bottoms up!

Upvote 0

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's Friday night - Guess who brought the 40's?!

Hi Mr. Sound,

Nice title. :icon_thumleft: I'm glad that your perseverance paid off. Congrats on the silver!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats SS. Great story. You were persistent and like Mr. K mentioned......it paid off!! Good luck on those pennies.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008

Good story, with a happy ending. It felt like I was right there with you on the hunt. Great score!!! :thumbsup:

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007

Your story had me feeling like I was there with you.
Nice score on the silver. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions