Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's GOLDEN to be back in the STATES. England finds

Hey guys! sorry it's been a while. Me, Dirt Digler and Pickhead just got back from two weeks of detecting in England. Let me tell you, I had a few items that I was dying to return home with. Number one on my list was a Celtic gold stater. One of our buddies Terry popped one on day two. I realized the rarity of finding one and at that very moment I just knew how much my odds decreased. Happy for Terry we all went on hunting and hoping. A few days later after finding several Hammered coins, Romans, Saxon, Norman and Viking artifacts, I got over my dream find. A full gold Celtic stater from the Iceni tribe circa 20 BC! Dream come true! Still can't believe it! Still waiting to hear back from the museum about one artifact in particular. It appears to be a Norman era Mount of some sort. With intricate designs and enameling (or stones) inlayed. Trip of a lifetime! Of course we got it on film... duh! Can't wait to share the footage! Cheers! HH!

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    836.9 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    938.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    973.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 37

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to say, when I said the brooch is Viking period, some try & say its Viking. But they were not made by them just imported into Britain by them from the frankish merovingian Empires. I've never had one yet!
And amazing how it's come out of the ground after a 1000 years with the guilt showing and hardly any build up, like it was dropped yesterday.:icon_scratch:

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And amazing how it's come out of the ground after a 1000 years with the guilt showing and hardly any build up, like it was dropped yesterday.:icon_scratch:

SS

Yeah, I would love to add one like that to the collection!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SS

Hmmm... Watching this post very closely...If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... well......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... Watching this post very closely...If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck... well......

Well, I guess I'll bite. When there is a healthy market for historic finds, someone will exploit it. You guys (US) have a healthy & respectable knowledge & appreciation for HISTORY. This can create a market for those that wish to take advantage. Look at the Philippines & Jap Tales!
I'M NOT SAY THIS POST IS AN EXAMPLE. I'm just saying be careful.
Enough Said.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see how one would think the finds are planted and maybe there are tours out there that do that. I can tell you though that the finds on our tour were not planted. sometimes you get on good spots, sometimes you don't. At a glance it might seem like we found a tone of stuff but realistically we were only making a few finds a day. I dug 12 hours a day for 11 days. Besides the Celt and the mount, I really didn't hit it big. Found 6 hams total and only two weren't clipped. All but two out of my 5 Romans were toast. We managed to make some great finds and I would do it again in a heart beat but it's not an easy dig.

OldNorthwest

Sep 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Minelab Exporer SE
I don't doubt that there are several groups out there that plant finds, but having been on one of the England tours before, I think another reason why they do pretty well is the team aspect of maybe a dozen guys (or more!) putting in 12 hours a day. Just my opinion - but I know when I detect any site it takes a while to find the "hot spots" and I think when you have a team devoted to it for weeks it speeds up the process.

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Been over the pond six times,lets just say let the buyer beware.The first trip found 75 roman coins in a field that after doing some research had been under water until the mid 18th century. On future trips we let the tour guide know we where not interested in that type of hunting and to put us on some not seeded fields and had a great time on each trip.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah for sure, having 10 other people definatley cuts the work load down. We had the opportunity to hunt some of the fields that produced a hundred or so Romans in the past. A fresh plow and 12 hours later we had 5 Romans between us. Roy (our guide) says "well... It was worth a shot... At least we got five). We could definitely tell when we were on Virgin fields, not only because Roy told us they were virgin, but because there was excessive amounts of garbage in between great finds. They were very honest with us and very straight up. Sometimes we went to fields that he says have been hunted for the past 10 years that produce very few targets but when they do they're usually good targets. I would definitely research any tour guide that you are anticipating going with. Because unfortunately there are guides that do you seed the fields. We're not into that.... At all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seriously though, even after that 01 S barber quarter, I consider that stater the find of my life. I can die happy now.

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

HistoryHuntress

Greenie
Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Y'all are right about team work paying off in England. When you have a group of people working with radios and really acting as a team it can pay off big time. I can't wait to get back this fall.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries Dr. Tones is going to post on his UTube vids guys in his group from the UK also detecting during this trip... I sure wish I could have been on this trip... great finds! :)

gtfm2345

Nov 15, 2012
c ny
Detector(s) used
TEK OMEGA TEK ALPHA DET PRO WADER NEL COIL 4"dd
10" ELPTCL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did that barber you found fund this trip? Love ur stuff man great hunt!

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I used that Barber to fund the trip. Now I need to find another one so I can go back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread