It’s IN the HOLE !

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
It’s IN the HOLE !

Hello again all my friends and fellow metal detector enthusiasts (addicts). I hope everyone has been having fun when they are able. I know I’ve missed getting out and hunting treasures with all this heat and a busy workload at work. I took a couple of days off this week to celebrate my (our) 14th wedding anniversary with my darling wife, and my birthday (day after anniversary). We couldn’t avoid or reschedule a couple of doctors’ appointments but we managed to work around them and still enjoy some time together. And... I got a WHOLE DAY OFF to go detecting ! <really big smile here>
Well I said I had the whole day, Thursday, but I only managed to get away for a few hours, but after my long “detectoring drought” it seemed like an entire day. Not wanting to waste what time I had to play I stayed fairly close to home for this hunt, I went to one of my favorite spots, the soccer complex/county fairgrounds. Several of the soccer fields have been “closed” off to the public while they undergo some renovations and reseeding... it’s been a tough summer on the soccer fields it seems. Anyway, this kind of led me to detect a couple of fields that I’ve neglected in the past because they were so far away from the parking areas. I figured that if people were having to walk back farther to get to these, but they WERE being used more frequently because of the closures. I needed the exercise anyway. <grin>
You just never know what you are going to find when detecting do you? I had expected to find a LOT of trash, and I wasn’t disappointed there... lots of can slaw and pull tabs. I figured I’d find a bit of clad... certainly not disappointed there either! But sometimes it’s the oddball stuff that makes the hunt. Like digging up Dollar coins... even if they are only clad Sacagawea Dollar coins... Found one.

Sac.JPG

Or a folding utility knife... still useable, and even found a marble! (also still useable) <grin>

Knife.JPG

I found a couple pair of sunglasses while I was detecting those two fields too... one a child’s and one adult sized pair.

Shades.JPG

I put all the shades and glasses I find in a basket in my garage when I get home and eventually when I catch one of the local eyewear stores or doctors’ offices collecting used glasses for the needy I drop them off all at one time. Hey... recycle and help the planet right? At heart, all us detectorists are recyclers to some extent. <grin> I don’t know about you, but I’m recycling all this clad I find and dig up! Cha Ching! I’d not mind recycling any gold or silver I find as well... but that’s fewer and father between. That’s not to say I don’t find any though. I thought I’d found some yesterday, this little chain was laying in the grass all by its lonesome, with just a glint of shine from the afternoon sun and the beep of my detector to reveal where it was at.

Chain.JPG

Unfortunately , I don’t think this one is silver. It’s awfully light, and there are no hallmarks or stamps of any kind on it or the clasp. Oh well... can’t have everything. I *DID* find some silver though, a ring! A nice hefty man’s ring, and although it too lacks a hallmark or a stamp indicating it’s silver, I know it is. It rang up on my detector as a quarter, which I’m always happy to dig up... but it’s a bit bigger than a quarter to be sure. It’s nearly as big around as the dollar coin I found earlier.

Ring comp.jpg

Ring2.JPG

It looks like a basket weave design made with silver wire. I guess that would make it hard to stamp with a hallmark or anything. <shrug> I found more wire later... it’s not silver though.

Stuff.JPG

Wire, horse tack, lawnmower digested toy car parts and someone’s lost key... Only the wire is a bit out of place. The park used to be farm land, hence the horse tack, kids bring toys to the park, keys get lost all the time... but the wire? Hmmmm... <grin>
The find that nearly ended the hunt was something else a bit unusual... for me anyway. A GOLD crown! Not the kind you’d find in a tooth mind you... but the kind that you’d find atop the noggin of some high falutin’ royalty somewhere.

Crown comp.jpg

Crown3.JPG

Ok ok ok... so it’s not “head” size for anyone you might know... heck, it’s not even really GOLD. I don’t know if it came off of some toy, some bottle of liquor or a lighter or what. I’m hoping someone out there reading this might have seen one similar somewhere and knows what it’s from. If you have, let me know. Still, you gotta admit, it’s an unusual find. Just never know what you’re going to find or dig up... but you can bet it’ll be “IN the HOLE”. <chuckle>
Well the bit of walking was worth the effort, the time detecting was a much needed salve on my sanity... and the walk back to my truck was productive as well. I ALWAYS detect back to my vehicle when I’m out hunting. Even if you walk back over the same path you went out on, you will find stuff that you missed on the way in. And I did... a handful of clad. It adds up!

Clad.JPG

A gorgeous sunny summer day that was actually comfortable to be out in... bright blue skies with nary a cloud to be found, a light breeze, a detector with fresh batteries, and time to relax and detect to my heart’s content. Ahhhh... what a day! Silver, goodies, and enough clad to cover batteries, gas and more! You got to love this hobby! Here’s hoping that you all got to get out and enjoy it for a while... or will sometime soon. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I like the weaved ring and the crown is cool too, you're king for the day sir, I salute you.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov ! , long time no talk to - man i love that woven silver ring - please show a pic of that
all polished up ! great find ! Argentium.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Argentium said:
Hey Frodov ! , long time no talk to - man i love that woven silver ring - please show a pic of that
all polished up ! great find ! Argentium.

It's certainly a hefty piece... I cleaned out most of the dirt and mud with a toothbrush and running water. That was just a quick cleaning though. I'll see what I can do with polishing it.

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
wwwtimmcp said:
I like the weaved ring and the crown is cool too, you're king for the day sir, I salute you.

I wish I could convince my wife of that... being king for the day that is... <laughing> She wasn't impressed with the crown or the ring. Of course, she always sees my treasures when they are still dirty and/or unpolished and unless there is gold involved she's usually not very interested. Oh well, you either have the bug or you don't... I got it, she "don't". <laughing> That's ok though, I'm still having fun.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Bravo my friend Bravo! what a great post . like you said you either got it or you don't. Rob :coffee2:

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Welcome back, I think your last post may have been from Myrtle Beach. Happy Anniversary. goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina. aka from Louisville,KY

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice Hunt, thank's for showing all the finds good and bad!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for your latest post, Frodo. Always an interesting read, along with some great pics. I like the crown especially how it fits on top of Sacagawea's head!

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I enjoyed reading your post! You did great in the short time you had to hunt. Congrats on the Anniversary and Birthday.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Tuberale said:
Thanks for your latest post, Frodo. Always an interesting read, along with some great pics. I like the crown especially how it fits on top of Sacagawea's head!
I always try to include a "known" value for size comparrison in my photos. Usually it's a U.S. coin of one denomination or another, something that most people can identify and get a feel for the size of the curiosity being photographed. I still wish I knew what that crown came off of. I was hoping that someone on here might have been able to identify it. Oh well... it's not that big a deal, just a curiosity.
Thanks for the kind words and as always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
goldnugget said:
Welcome back, I think your last post may have been from Myrtle Beach. Happy Anniversary. goldnugget-Charlotte,North Carolina. aka from Louisville,KY

Thanks Nugget.... yeah, haven't been out much this year, and it's really working on my nerves too. I so enjoy this hobby, even when I'm only finding junk. Unfortunately, this year, work and the elements haven't played in my favor much. At least the heat of the summer is nearly over and I'll be getting out a bit more regularly I hope. Maybe I'll make up for some lost time then. <grin> Here's hoping anyway.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
cellar dweller said:
nice haul. Its good to get a day off now and then.

Ahmen Brother! Don't you know it! Those elusive vocational holidays seem to be few and far between of late though. Even when I'm officially off, it seems there is some other demand of my time and attention waiting in the wings. But I sneak in a hunt now and then when I'm able.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice haul there, Frod! Been a while since I have been on here, too....the heat has been keeping me indoors.....69 days over 100 now and nothing cool in sight! BTW, you must be a quick digging son-of-a-gun! Almost 150 coins and the misc. stuff, that equates to about an item a minute! I couldn't even get up and down that many times in that length of time! Was this real sandy soil?

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Roland58 said:
Nice haul there, Frod! Been a while since I have been on here, too....the heat has been keeping me indoors.....69 days over 100 now and nothing cool in sight! BTW, you must be a quick digging son-of-a-gun! Almost 150 coins and the misc. stuff, that equates to about an item a minute! I couldn't even get up and down that many times in that length of time! Was this real sandy soil?

No... not sandy soil, but thankfully not concrete-like drought hardened clay either. Rather, it's a fairly well maintained (watered) lawn like grass with fairly rich topsoil underneath. We've had pleanty of rain here bouts this summer and when it wasn't they have a sprinkler system to keep the soccer pitches and playing fields well watered. So digging isn't that tough in most of this park. That's not to say I don't do much digging though. Perhaps not so suprising to those old timers out there, no matter how many times you hit a paticular venue you never really find everything. Each time out presents a different soil condition that affects your machine's ability to detect whatever is down there. <grin> And I think, each time, too, is a different level of awareness or attention being paid on my part as to what my machine is seeing. <blushing> You are right on the hits per minute though, sometimes two or three targets a minute, sometimes however, more like one target every five to ten minutes. <shrug> Lots of near surface targets just under the grass roots or in the grass roots that only require a simple pry of my probe/knife to pop them out of the ground. Seconds on my knees, the shorter the better, and the longer I can detect ! It's hell getting old <creaking joints>. Of course there are those occasional targets, my favorites in fact, that turn out to be pocket spills with multiple coins in one hole... or scattered very closely together. <grin>Those are fun, gets the adrenaline pumping and time seems to stand still for a brief while. <smile> And then there are the pull tabs... *sigh* Yeah, I still dig them up or pop them out of the roots. You have to... I mean I am getting pretty good at differentiating a tab from a nickel with my detector, but unless you dig them all up, you WILL miss a coin or a ring. Agrivating sometimes though.
I told my wife that if I ever video'd a hunt like that, it would look like an old slapstick black and white comedy in double time... jerky movements and lots of kneeling down and jumping up and such... would need to have an appropriate sound track to go with it... like the theme song from the British Comedy show of Benny Hill, "Yackety Sax"! <laughing>
At least I'm having fun when I AM detecting. Speaking of which, I'm off today and I was just on my way out the door after I checked emails, and here at TreasureNet. Going to hunt a park in a neighboring town that I've not been to in about six months. Big park with soccer and baseball fields and a big grassy hill with an ampitheater. The park hosts the local fireworks show each year and a couple of music events in the summer. Could be fun! I'll let everyone know how it goes. Till then, here hoping everyone out there has some fun and gets out detecting a while. As always...

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread