Its probably been asked before but.......

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Re: It's probably been asked before but.......

SoIll said:
"you folks"???
Are you a disgruntled archie?
Nope: just fed up with folks stealing from others, and saying they are justified in doing so by narcissistic ideas such as saving history.
This BS is the excuses used to ignore basic ethics, and law: to do nothing more than find and steal an item.
It is the primary reason laws are passed against the whole of the relic hunting system.
It wont be long before American Indian artifacts will not be allowed to be sold. The way things are looking and going even relics.
That is the next step against they hobby. So far today it is just limit more and more areas to be off limits to any such activity. Next target will be the market.

Simple if you do not have direct permission, leave it be.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
There is NO archaeological value in artifacts once they reach running water, none what so ever. Everything they were associated with is lost as they travel down stream. I know this because I took several of the nice pieces, a pipe and several points I found to the Archaeological department at the University to inquire about them, and was told by the head of the department that they were high quality. When I asked if there was a problem collecting them or if I should report where they were found he replied they had lost their archaeological value once they hit running water.

Since you obviously missed it here it is again.......... There is NO archaeological value in artifacts once they reach running water, none what so ever. Once an artifact reaches running water all value as an artifact related to it's location is lost as it travels down stream..........

thirty7, just like the artifact loses all archaeological value as it is moved down stream, so does lostcauses's comments......

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Treasure_Hunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
There is NO archaeological value in artifacts once they reach running water, none what so ever. Everything they were associated with is lost as they travel down stream. I know this because I took several of the nice pieces, a pipe and several points I found to the Archaeological department at the University to inquire about them, and was told by the head of the department that they were high quality. When I asked if there was a problem collecting them or if I should report where they were found he replied they had lost their archaeological value once they hit running water.

Since you obviously missed it here it is again.......... There is NO archaeological value in artifacts once they reach running water, none what so ever. Once an artifact reaches running water all value as an artifact related to it's location is lost as it travels down stream..........

thirty7, just like the artifact loses all archaeological value as it is moved down stream, so does lostcauses's comments......
If the items can be shown to be grave goods even if displaced, you are pushing your luck.
Again Federal, and state laws may exist for such artifacts.

Your opinion of displaced therefore no archeological value is not the whole thing. It still can have archeological value as in material and typology saying on the stream, river and so on a culture was there etc.
Again an excuse.
I take it you are trying to use this argument with ARPA to say it does not cover such artifacts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lostcauses said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

If the items can be shown to be grave goods even if displaced, you are pushing your luck.

Your opinion of displaced therefore no archeological value is not the whole thing. It still can have archeological value as in material and typology saying on the stream, river and so on a culture was there etc.
Again an excuse.
I take it you are trying to use this argument with ARPA to say it does not cover such artifacts.

Lets see, who do I believe, :dontknow: you, a nobody, or the head of the Archaeological Department of a major university in a state where a lot of artifacts are found that said that it "lost all it's value once it ended up in moving water".... Which one do I believe, :icon_scratch: the head archaeologist of the Archaeological Department of the University or you, hummmm :icon_scratch:.......Wait I'm still thinking........ :icon_scratch:...Man this is hard, :icon_scratch:......Oh wait, Looks like the Head of the Archaeological Department wins...... :headbang:

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Treasure_Hunter said:
lostcauses said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Again an excuse.

Lets see, who do I believe, :dontknow: you, a nobody, or the head of the Archaeological Department of a major university in a state where a lot of artifacts are found that said that it "lost all it's value once it ended up in moving water".... Which one do I believe, :icon_scratch: the head archaeologist of the Archaeological Department of the University or you, hummmm :icon_scratch:.......Wait I'm still thinking........ :icon_scratch:...Man this is hard, :icon_scratch:......Oh wait, Looks like the Head of the Archaeological Department wins...... :headbang:
lets see who would I believe, An artifact hunter who for some reason has convinced themselves that they are right; or the folks I know have been buster for picking up artifacts in water ways....

Hmmm, I go with the folks that lost there collections and cost them money.
Instead of that Arch I would advise advice from an attorney before doing such.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lostcauses said:
lets see who would I believe, An artifact hunter who for some reason has convinced themselves that they are right; or the folks I know have been buster for picking up artifacts in water ways....

Hmmm, I go with the folks that lost there collections and cost them money.
Instead of that Arch I would advise advice from an attorney before doing such.

My collection is entirely legal, recovered on private land with owner's permission......And yes I will take the advice of the head of the University Archaeological Department over someone who can't even figure out how to use a spell check...........

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

Treasure_Hunter glad to hear you stay on the lawful side. Have fun, be safe and that is what it is about.

Go ask that head of the University Archaeological Department how much law they have taken, If very little or none, as is, in most cases: ask them why they are giving legal advice. Hey you might be lucky and find one that has taken some law. These are rare it seems.
Seems to be one of them things Archeologist do, that is strange, with just an ethics course: and no law courses they give out legal advice.
Hence my advice is to seek out an attorney first.

As for me speeling, well gots to give the perfect folks some thing to bitch about, LOL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One thing I have learned and the reason the states will bull doze hundreds and sometimes thousands of graves and burials out of their way is..... sometimes there is just nothing new to be learned in another woodland or say Mississippian site. Its just like the other thousand such sites. No new knowledge to be gleaned and no more room in the dusty basements or drawers for thousands of the same thing at University's where most of it gets stolen or disappears. Museums are not interested in another display of the same thing.
They send in a Archaeological team to do some recovery they date the area dig a few graves and then cover it back up with highways and construction. Happens every day. Right down the road they bull dozed a whole village right out into the river to build a road and now they guess maybe what?? A 1000 graves?? Oppps is all the City/state says.
I doubt it will ever be illegal to buy and sell or collect artifacts in America just look at the internet. There are bad apples in any hobby and people are always going to be discontent over something.
America has much worse issues to deal with right now than some guy picking up an arrowhead.
OK we have this conversation every year it seems like?

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008

TnMountains said:
One thing I have learned and the reason the states will bull doze hundreds and sometimes thousands of graves and burials out of their way is..... sometimes there is just nothing new to be learned in another woodland or say Mississippian site. Its just like the other thousand such sites. No new knowledge to be gleaned and no more room in the dusty basements or drawers for thousands of the same thing at University's where most of it gets stolen or disappears. Museums are not interested in another display of the same thing.
They send in a Archaeological team to do some recovery they date the area dig a few graves and then cover it back up with highways and construction. Happens every day. Right down the road they bull dozed a whole village right out into the river to build a road and now they guess maybe what?? A 1000 graves?? Oppps is all the City/state says.
I doubt it will ever be illegal to buy and sell or collect artifacts in America just look at the internet. There are bad apples in any hobby and people are always going to be discontent over something.
America has much worse issues to deal with right now than some guy picking up an arrowhead.
OK we have this conversation every year it seems like?
Yes this country does have better thing to deal with. I agree with that. Times: they are a changing it seems.
Oh and you have gave me a reason to think.
I have listened to Archeologist myself on such as law,
yet I can guarantee they wont be there to defend me if that advice turns out wrong. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread