It's that time again!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, it's like a morgue in here. Since desertgolddigger and southfork took a break it's nothing but bots banging around in an empty room here. They mostly talk to themselves and mumble bits and pieces injected from the internet. And here it is the middle of gold getting season! Sure seems kind of a waste for what was a good group of people. Oh well, not my forum, not my rules.

Anyhoo

Annual mining claim filings and/or payments are due at the BLM before the end of August. This is a must do for anyone with a mining claim that wants to keep it. Being as this is mandatory government stuff it can be a bit confusing to jump through the hoops.

Every year Land Matters puts out a flow chart and explanation sheet in PDF form to help you meet your obligations on time. It's free of course and if you want feel free to share it with other miners and prospectors.

Go get U sum!

Heavy Pans

Upvote 11

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there is another depression that comes along there will be more people out looking for values. There is still values to be found as nature keeps cutting or loosing and redepositing the values.
There has been a lot of people looking at the surface deposits and this can make it harder to find some nice values as most have been dug upon or at least checked out. Yet one can still find it if you are resourceful.

I would have thought that gold prices near $2k would bring out the miners but instead we have very small scale guys scratching for fly specs. However, all of the easy gold being gone has a lot to do with that.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have thought that gold prices near $2k would bring out the miners but instead we have very small scale guys scratching for fly specs. However, all of the easy gold being gone has a lot to do with that.
The current price is also a reflection of inflation.
Harder values means more work and some don't like to work very much.
Many in the past flew past the fly specs and that is what some are now left to work with.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on here and others for many years. It always slows down in the summer because everyone is out mining. Another reason is the laws have become more restrictive and fewer are doing it.
One thing us old timers can do is not just sit back and wait for a question to be asked but instead ask questions or start conversations. Sounds easy when I type it...lol
there are more small scale prospectors right now than anytime in the last 40 years.
way more snipers..people detecting and out in areas that arent a pain to run gear. than ive ever seen.

this forum has just become a ghost town.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are more small scale prospectors right now than anytime in the last 40 years.
way more snipers..people detecting and out in areas that arent a pain to run gear. than ive ever seen.

this forum has just become a ghost town.
Exactly, and with all of the new anti-mining laws, people just don't post about their trips out anymore. There are still great places to dredge in California and lots of gold is still being recovered there with dredges of all sizes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread