It's that time again!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, it's like a morgue in here. Since desertgolddigger and southfork took a break it's nothing but bots banging around in an empty room here. They mostly talk to themselves and mumble bits and pieces injected from the internet. And here it is the middle of gold getting season! Sure seems kind of a waste for what was a good group of people. Oh well, not my forum, not my rules.

Anyhoo

Annual mining claim filings and/or payments are due at the BLM before the end of August. This is a must do for anyone with a mining claim that wants to keep it. Being as this is mandatory government stuff it can be a bit confusing to jump through the hoops.

Every year Land Matters puts out a flow chart and explanation sheet in PDF form to help you meet your obligations on time. It's free of course and if you want feel free to share it with other miners and prospectors.

Go get U sum!

Heavy Pans

Upvote 11

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Knowlege was shared but no knowledge was returned, I was used. So sad but I moved on and I will not be sharing anymore. I could give the names of those that used me but its not there fault but mine. Rule number one keep your mouth shut dealing with gold mining. Smart miners know this and that is why this site is dead. goodbye

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Sorry to hear this BUT you are correct in the fact that "Be careful of what you say over the internet"!! It does have a way of coming back and biting you in the rear ! I've also had this happen to me , BUT I still like to help people out and enjoy the friendship that ensues from it ! I've Meet a lot of real nice people and some of them have turned out to be friends forever ! GOODLUCK to you and happy trails !

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry to hear this BUT you are correct in the fact that "Be careful of what you say over the internet"!! It does have a way of coming back and biting you in the rear ! I've also had this happen to me , BUT I still like to help people out and enjoy the friendship that ensues from it ! I've Meet a lot of real nice people and some of them have turned out to be friends forever ! GOODLUCK to you and happy trails !
Correct this may also apply to photos depending on what is being covered.
Still this can be a good place to learn and share info / things.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Before the T.N. my rule was if you should up where I was mining, I would share all my knowledge, at least you made the effort to get down there and did your research. I love sharing the knowledge the old timer.s shared with me but it must be earned. In my state there few places to mine and I know them all ,experience rules!!!!

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
YEP ! Years back I was up in Oroville Washington at a Dredge Earth Rally that a lot of good people were at also .After the Rally several of us went to a mans home that had a river in his back yard and he wanted to learn to dredge so we got out 2 dredge's to teach him. we showed him how 2 do it and then showed him how to screen everything down to a manageable amount of cons and how to pan then down. All this was done for free and we gave the cons to him and then we partied ! It was a great day ! Some of those men aren't with us anymore ! R.I.P. guys !

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, it's like a morgue in here. Since desertgolddigger and southfork took a break it's nothing but bots banging around in an empty room here. They mostly talk to themselves and mumble bits and pieces injected from the internet. And here it is the middle of gold getting season! Sure seems kind of a waste for what was a good group of people. Oh well, not my forum, not my rules.

Anyhoo

Annual mining claim filings and/or payments are due at the BLM before the end of August. This is a must do for anyone with a mining claim that wants to keep it. Being as this is mandatory government stuff it can be a bit confusing to jump through the hoops.

Every year Land Matters puts out a flow chart and explanation sheet in PDF form to help you meet your obligations on time. It's free of course and if you want feel free to share it with other miners and prospectors.

Go get U sum!

Heavy Pans
It is a shame. From what I can see, most of the conversations moved over to Facebook. My Finding Gold in Colorado Facebook group that i created in 2016 is up around 18,000 members these days!

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is a shame. From what I can see, most of the conversations moved over to Facebook. My Finding Gold in Colorado Facebook group that i created in 2016 is up around 18,000 members these days!
There has been movement of people depending on what is trending. Some will not sign up for face book.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still can be. What changed?
I've been on here and others for many years. It always slows down in the summer because everyone is out mining. Another reason is the laws have become more restrictive and fewer are doing it.
One thing us old timers can do is not just sit back and wait for a question to be asked but instead ask questions or start conversations. Sounds easy when I type it...lol

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been on here and others for many years. It always slows down in the summer because everyone is out mining. Another reason is the laws have become more restrictive and fewer are doing it.
One thing us old timers can do is not just sit back and wait for a question to be asked but instead ask questions or start conversations. Sounds easy when I type it...lol
Correct as far as a flux or change of the number of people. Others have pointed out the many like to watch a movie channel etc. and this will cause a lot of people to go there at least part of the time.

Not all questions I have asked have been easy questions. Keeping some topics open for a discussion is also needed even if the topic is not the most popular.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Long time no see . Glad to see you back posting !

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long time no see . Glad to see you back posting !
Thanks Russ. I look in here every week or two but need to post more. I haven't been wet in 3 years and it frustrates me. I guess that's what I get for living in Washington. I closed my dredging business but still get calls to take people out. I have done some panning/sluicing outings but nothing on the scale I use to do.
I emptied out my storage and found 10 dredges, 29 motors/pumps and a small mountain of other gear. I found a buyer on the east coast who is taking it all away in 2 weeks...bittersweet.
I am keeping my personal dredge and gear and well as some hard rock and cleanup tools just in case I have to scratch the itch.
Moving on...I am set to retire from my day job early, at the end of the year. I have bought an excavator and opened a new dirtwork business....maybe I will dig up a few tailing piles :headbang:

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I feel your pain Bonaro, as one that has over 10,000 hours mining western Washinton but due to the new laws its not profitable for me to mine anymore in this state. I feel very fortunate to have had the ability to use equipment that is now illegal. There is another reason I don't mine anymore is that there is not much gold to mine anymore, all the gold I have been mining came from the 100 year flood back in 1995 and only that type of flood brings down the gold, there is a cycle, big flood, gold is redeposited and the miners come out and mine it, then it's gone. Normal floods have nothing to do with redepositing gold infract I have seen so many times these floods cover rich areas of gold or move the gold out. One place my friend and I tested just after the 1995 flood, it was so rich but a year later the gravel bar was covered with at least 6ft. of sand. Fortunately for me I now own to claims in Northern California that were effected by the great floods and when I go to my claims next year it should awesome.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I'm in the same boat as you two guys are ! I retired 13 or so years ago and thought of traveling around the Country dredging like I was doing BUT old age got in my way and I ended up selling it all and I HATED DOING SO but I still get the itch to go out OR at least want to go out these ole bones keep telling me NOT !

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If there is another depression that comes along there will be more people out looking for values. There is still values to be found as nature keeps cutting or loosing and redepositing the values.
There has been a lot of people looking at the surface deposits and this can make it harder to find some nice values as most have been dug upon or at least checked out. Yet one can still find it if you are resourceful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread