GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's time to kick it into gear!

Hey everyone, been really busy with school lately which means no crh and no posting.

But, I haven't done boxes of halves in about 2 months and it was just too big of a hassle to re-roll them all and try to dump the boxes at banks. So I went to my father and made a proposal...If he gave me $12,000 so that I could start bagging my halves, I would split the finds 60/40 and he wouldn't have to do anything. And he was on board! So for now on I have 12 boxes coming in on every Tuesday ($6000) and after I look through them, bag them, and they are being counted, I will still have $6000 for the 12 boxes the follow Tuesday. I know this is what most of you high volume people do, but am I missing anything? Any tricks of the trade you're willing to share? Let me know!

HH,
Cody.

Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: It's time to kick it into gear!

I use a coin counter, but that sounds great. Buy some canvas bages to hold about $1 K each bag and see if you can get a cart from Harbour Freight tools online to haul all those coins to dump. You can find places onlien to buy canvas bags or maybe get them free from a forum member here.

HH

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

do the branches return the canvas bags or do they take them away?

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

GEOFF said:

He is referring to using the canvas bags to carry your halves to from the car to the machine, etc... the bag never leaves your posession. The bags gimmesomesilver is talking about are the plastic "coin-lock" bags. They are what the bank uses. You can get them free from most banks, you just ask. Then, with halves, you put $1,000.00 of halves in the bag, seal it up and hand it over. They send it to the main vault where it is counted, and then they put the money in your account, anywhere from 3-15 business days later (each bank is different for how long it takes it to hit your account).

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TheRockDoc said:
GEOFF said:
Then, with halves, you put $1,000.00 of halves in the bag, seal it up and hand it over. They send it to the main vault where it is counted, and then they put the money in your account, anywhere from 3-15 business days later (each bank is different for how long it takes it to hit your account).

My bank puts the money in my account immediately. If there is a discrepancy in my count they will adjust the balance later.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think if I read this right your bank won't credit the account until the coin lok bags are verified, which sucks, because it should be treated as a deposit subject to count.....you should clarify that with the branch manager. If your name, acct #, etc is on the bag they should credit it like a cash deposit and only debit later if the count is off.

I don't think you need canvas bags etc like other posters are recommending unless you are using a coin machine and I misread your post.

The collapsible carts that were posted by CnC and DB23 are both great, I just carry 6 at a time to get some exercise, whatever floats your boat.

Just make sure you pick it up on delivery day, thats alot of boxes for 1 branch. I do 10-14 boxes per day but usually pickup from 2-3 branches per day, but if you pickup same day it shouldn't be an issue. Also, if you go out of town make sure you give them warning to "pause" the order for a week.

good luck!
Bigheed

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

Congrats! A couple tips that I can offer. The easiest way to open halve rolls is to crack the roll like an egg on something solid and peal the label away then drop the coins into your hand listening for any silver. It will make a distinct sound and after a while you can search blindfolded and identify silver. Always do two boxes at a time and fill and seal the bag plastic adding any necessary coins to make the $1,000 amount. Don't leave too many bags of coins in your trunk it will kill the suspension and has been known to crack the frame of a car - ;D

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread