Ive gotta new search project that I need some advice on.

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
I've gotta new search project that I need some advice on.

I know of an area that some old spanish coins were found on back in the 1970's. The coins at the time were approx 240 years old! Now I'm sure that the shore has been metal detected lots of times over the years(to my knowledge nothing has been found since), but there has never been a shipwreck found anywhere near here. I want to start underwater metal detecting a little off shore(5-50 ft of water). What would be the best metal detector for this kind of search. Looking for silver/gold of course but pewter and lead too. I would like a detector that would ignore ferrous metals if I needed to. Also I think any coins would be heavily encrusted, what is the best way to clean them up( assuming I found anything, but you gotta be positive!) It is rocky area and rocky underwater terrain. I pretty much know how to lay out grids to search, but just not sure of what equipment I would need. I am assuming that the spanish coins came from a spanish ship(?), that wrecked nearby. How else would they have gotten there? The age of the coins would have made the wreck from the early 1700's. If someone looked for this wreck(?) back in the 1970's ,underwater, what metal detecting equipment would have been used and how can modern detectors give me any edge over the previous searchers( if there were any). any advice, knowledge, ideas, opinions, or expierience would be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've gotta new search project that I need some advice on.

It is doubtful that all the area you have in mind was searched well. Normally I would recommend a PI type detector because of it's deeper depth of detection with all that sand. It is a slow process uncovering iron junk, but it could direct you to a wreck. Since you would like discrimination to ignore the iron, I suggest a Excalibur 1000. It doesn't need to be ground balanced, ignores iron, almost as deep as a PI, and waterproof to 200 foot. Many divers in the forum use them.

Since you are going to be spending lots of time underwater searching, you should check into using hookah for your air supply and you can keep the pump on a boat. It will allow you to remain under lots longer, since you are going to be shallow, there won't be much decompression time if any. Having a boat will allow you to use a "mailbox" over your prop. I have experience at this and maybe you should look into finding a partner with first hand knowledge or do much studying.

Cleaning old coins incrusted from years in saltwater should be cleaned using electrolysis. You can find more directions in the forum.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter

Hey thanks for the advice! I got a couple of questions though... First, what is a "mailbox" on the boat? Is that a system for blowing the sand away with the prop? If so I think the bottom will be to rocky but I'll have to check it out. I also can't draw that much attention to the site as it is right on the beach(within 100 yards), and most dives would be shore dives off the beach. Next could you explain the ground balance ? I've been diving for a while but metal detecting is new to me. The Hookah is a really good Idea for this site. If we actually find something, I will probably have a hookah on a boat. Right now it's aluminum 80's with air or nitrox. How do hookahs do in really cold temps(sub freezing)? Oh, the Excaliber 1000, that's made by minelab, right? I don't want to totally ignore iron, I think I'll just need to be selective in certain areas. Thanks again, bell47.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bell47, Welcome aboard! Sandman is absolutely correct in his assessment and offers much good advice.
You are correct, a mail box is also known as a prop deflector and is used to remove overburden from the bottom by redirecting your prop output to the bottom. Another tool you could use is the airlift system, also known as a dredge, and if large enough can suck up cannon balls from the bottom.
I have spent time in your neck of the woods searching for treasure up in the Sandy Point area, you will need a dry suit for diving in those waters. The hookah system can be used on a boat, and there are several manufacturers that make a small system that floats in an inner tube, and you just drag it along with you. Ideal for beach dives.
You stated that "I also can't draw that much attention to the site as it is right on the beach", I am assuming that you are concerned about claim jumpers, and not the local authorities. Check with your State Government Home Page Department of Historical Resources about the legalities of recovering artifacts from state waters.
Good luck, and keep us all posted.

PS Minelab Excalibur 1000 is the way to go for a underwater detector. In the cold water or even ambient air, don't waste your time with the AA battery option, as Alkaline batteries don't work well in cold environments.

Tom

OP
OP
B

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about the authorities, just the general public, or claim jumpers. I don't want any problems with anyone. Who knows if we'll ever find anything, it's just fun searching. I'm looking into the excaliber 1000, sounds like the one I want. It will be a while before I can spend a few days looking but I plan on looking a good bit this summer. It's a little cold right now as I made a salvage dive yesterday (26 degrees, and spitting snow), even in a full neoprene dry suit it was chilly. brrrrrrrr. Keep the advice coming........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions