Ive gotten the skinny on halves, fill a noob in on dimes...

Freeds

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009
I've gotten the skinny on halves, fill a noob in on dimes...

what are valuable? I wanna put some work in and my halves wont be in till next wednesday. so, I can go get some dimes. what am I looking for? thanks in advance :)

also it seems I have some competition. the first bank I tried today, someone had bought all $500 of their halves, but the tellers were confused about it. every other bank just looked at me like I was crazy.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I've gotten the skinny on halves, fill a noob in on dimes...

1964 and older.

OP
OP
F

Freeds

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2009

enamel7 said:
1964 and older.

what are they worth? and is there a specific one or few that are really rare and valuable?

this is definitely a fun hobby. never thought treasure hunting could be so easy and fun. kinda makes me want to explore some other avenues as well eventually.

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town

Freeds, congratulations on your new obsession. You can't really put a value just yet on the fun you will have while doing this, trust me. Great hobby, definitely keeping me entertained while the wife is pregnant. Nonetheless, on to your q's. You ask about dimes...all the ones fiend mentions are a shot in a million. As enamel said keep anything 64 and older. Most people here edge search (easily spot silver), but most times you get fooled by canadians. Canadians I believe are 68 and older with silver content, with 68 being a partially silver coin. If you date search there is a key date 1982 that does not have a mint mark that will fetch quite a bit. If you really get going into the hobby I'd recommend the redbook, which has values for each coin and their grades. I just bought but haven't received the cherry pickers guide (another similar one is strike it rich with pocket change). It lists several errors on coins (2 diff volumes) to which you'd need a loupe to see. I can say I just bought a loupe and have found what I believe to be 2 diff DDR's, a 69 and a 64. I generally start sorting and filing away these type coins when silver is busted in the area.

Personally I've had more luck with hand rolled dimes as far as finding silver but fed rolls have been better at producing mercury dimes from what i've seen. Good luck and look forward to seeing your finds.

HH, Dan

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It might help to know what part of the country you are in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread