Ive Had it! I give up! This is the LAST STRAW!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My hens (about a dozen) do not use nesting boxes to lay. They all use the same corner of the coop, so gathering is easy. They love fresh eggs in the shell, or cooked, or in any form.

Egg cannibalism is not a problem with my flock, but boredom is. I try to let them run as much as possible. I also supplement their diet with baked crushed eggshell, or oyster shell. Their feed is 16 % protein. They get lots of table scraps, meat (raw or cooked), bread, etc...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got the lumber together, scrap boards for the egg roll thing. Not going to clip any beaks. Never know when I'll need the birds for home defense.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hang the chickens by their necks or wings over a pile of deep cotton.

five-yellow-hanging-pluck-raw-chicken-food-market-peru-chickens-marketplace-huaraz-64265544.jpg

if doing the neck, make sure to use something that won't strangle the birds so they stay alive of course.

as the eggs drop down gather them up :thumbsup:

or do like this

article-2314293-1979475B000005DC-676_634x373.jpg

then just pick the eggs off at the end of the day.

wear a mask though. Lots of Gas flowing upwards :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the egg roll off device. No eggs were laid today. Too many gaseous vapors from the hot sauce I guess. They did wolf down a whole apple (slowpokes took almost 10 minutes to eat the last piece.

Wiley Coyote would be proud of me.

Here is Scrambles the Wonder Chicken. IMG_0646.JPG

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have chickens, but am also learning about them. I do know if you over feed, you will have problems with egg production. I think the best short term option is to separate them. They learn habits from each other.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a couple Barred Rocks, a Brahma.. 12 pounds at least...A Rhode island red, a couple Americana's and a couple golden buffs.

Fresh eggs....'bout 5 a day... are great!!

DSCN0021.JPG

rodbuilder

Apr 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I GOT 't!!!!!!~ Mix a little bit of Arsenic in with the chicken feed!!! Then when they eat it they won't like the taste of their eggs!!

But I bet you won't either!!!

Ok, Ok, Ok, here's a better one.......................Build yourself a Rube Goldberg-type device! Chicken lays egg.............electronic sensor in egg depository senses the presence of the egg............... causing a spring-powered piston to shoos upwards, whisking the chicken off her nest...........and a plastic bowl drops down over the egg until you get there to rescue it!!!!

S

stefen

In the event that anyone on this post has chickens and wants to prepare them for consumption.

As you know, the time honored tradition of dunking the bird into hot water then plucking them clean is a stinky and messy operation.

There is now available, a razor that is ether manually operated or there is a cordless-electronic version, that can be used to remove all feathers including pin feathers, very efficiently thus eliminating the age-old mess.

Its called a "Chicken Schick'....

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I never heard of chickens eating their own eggs. Calcium is important, and we would buy 25lbs. bags of crushed oyster shell at the feed store for that purpose. You have not lived until you've been out to gather the eggs, reach into the nest and feel a big ol rat snake curled up in there. We also ate the chickens we raised. Many methods of dispatching them, wringing their necks was one way. My maternal great grandmother's claim to fame was that she could wring the necks of two chickens at one time, one in each hand. She was not a large powerful woman, but she had speed. It was a sight to see. She swooped in, snatched a couple up, and after about 6 spins it was done. I remember people from around the area coming over to watch her do that sometimes on Sundays.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is hilarious is to pick up a hen....stick her head under her wing and slowly rock her back and forth. Puts 'em to sleep every time!! Set 'em gently back on the ground so as not to wake 'em up. Back in the old days, ya had to figure out your own fun!!:headbang:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was getting ready to say, whatchu talkin bout willis. Was a good idea putting decoys. Only thing I can think of is gather the eggs quicker.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I only have one hen right now, who is friends with my two Nigerian Dwarf Goats. I will be getting more chickens soon though. In the past I have noticed the same thing. Not as bad as when your semi free-range chicken "stops" laying eggs for a month, then a month later you find a pile of 20 rotten eggs in some "nest" they made in some obscure part of the yard. As you have probably noticed, chickens will eat ANYTHING. Once they develop a taste for eggs, it is hard to break them from that habit of cracking open and eating every egg they lay. It is possible though, you just got to have them lose that correlation between the eggs they lay and tasty food.

Good luck with you hens!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I AM VICTORIOUS. Thanks to a piece of plywood, a board and my new jigsaw. Two HUGE eggs tonight safely resting under the false flood of the chicken house adjacent to the newly made "ramp".

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Interesting, I never heard of chickens eating their own eggs. Calcium is important, and we would buy 25lbs. bags of crushed oyster shell at the feed store for that purpose. You have not lived until you've been out to gather the eggs, reach into the nest and feel a big ol rat snake curled up in there. We also ate the chickens we raised. Many methods of dispatching them, wringing their necks was one way. My maternal great grandmother's claim to fame was that she could wring the necks of two chickens at one time, one in each hand. She was not a large powerful woman, but she had speed. It was a sight to see. She swooped in, snatched a couple up, and after about 6 spins it was done. I remember people from around the area coming over to watch her do that sometimes on Sundays.

My uncle would grabthem by the legs, Hang there neck over a stump and chop there heads off. Then he would let them go and watch them run around. Their blood would be pumping out of there neck. Yes they would run into things. They couldn't see where they were going. Gruesome to watch!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a new reality TV show in the making...

S

stefen

What is hilarious is to pick up a hen....stick her head under her wing and slowly rock her back and forth. Puts 'em to sleep every time!! Set 'em gently back on the ground so as not to wake 'em up. Back in the old days, ya had to figure out your own fun!!:headbang:

Hold a chickens beak to the ground and scratch a line in the dirt...the bird will be hypnotized in that position for minutes... Real hoot when they wake up and begin to cackle...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions