Ivory Buddha

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an annual yard sale at the local synagogue yesterday morning and picked up this little gem. An antique ivory laughing Buddha statue on wood. Price was $1.00!! It has all of the proper markings of ivory including the Schreger Lines (angles) on the bottom. This little fella is going to be a keeper. I’m pretty sure that with the bit of research I’ve done, it’s probably late 1890s to maybe the 20s or 30s at most. But I’m no expert so if someone knows more about it, by all means jump right in. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531136287.207789.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531136297.173446.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531136309.990422.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1531136319.842636.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find... Too bad you can never sell it.

As far as dating... these have been produced for ever... but would not date to prior to 1940.

and just for a "bit more"... the term "Schreger Lines"... is a term used loosely in ivory but not wht they are called... "cross hatching" is what the proper term is.

"Schreger Lines" is the term used in the "method" to distinguish types of ivories.

OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find... Too bad you can never sell it.

As far as dating... these have been produced for ever... but would not date to prior to 1940.

and just for a "bit more"... the term "Schreger Lines"... is a term used loosely in ivory but not wht they are called... "cross hatching" is what the proper term is.

"Schreger Lines" is the term used in the "method" to distinguish types of ivories.

Thanks for the info AARC. I wondered if it was a bit later in age. That would make more sense too. Looking back at some research, I see that the older pieces had more of a hallmark on the bottom. I know nothing about ivory but eager to learn.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buddha carving.

Under Federal law, you can sell your African elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the African elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (January 18, 1990). This documentation could be in the form of a CITES pre-Convention certificate, a datable photo, a dated letter or other document referring to the item, or other evidence.

You do not need to obtain a permit from the Service for sales within a state. However, if you are offering African elephant ivory for sale, you should be prepared to provide appropriate documentation to the Service, if asked. We would also suggest that you pass along all documentation to the buyer of your elephant ivory items.

Some states have laws prohibiting or restricting sale of ivory. Check to make sure that you are also in compliance with local and state laws. Contact the*state*to check on their requirements.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buddha carving.

Under Federal law, you can sell your African elephant ivory within your state (intrastate commerce) if you can demonstrate that your ivory was lawfully imported prior to the date that the African elephant was listed in CITES Appendix I (January 18, 1990). This documentation could be in the form of a CITES pre-Convention certificate, a datable photo, a dated letter or other document referring to the item, or other evidence.

You do not need to obtain a permit from the Service for sales within a state. However, if you are offering African elephant ivory for sale, you should be prepared to provide appropriate documentation to the Service, if asked. We would also suggest that you pass along all documentation to the buyer of your elephant ivory items.

Some states have laws prohibiting or restricting sale of ivory. Check to make sure that you are also in compliance with local and state laws. Contact the*state*to check on their requirements.

Yes... but now days buying is "taboo" so audience has become very limited and abundance of antique ivory has overwhelmed an already saturated market so price has gone to zip...
and even on Ebay it is banned as far as I know.

No one wants it... or anything to do with it.

Saw TWO of these similar carvings at flea market last month for sale at a dealers booth... FOR 10 dollars each... and when I talked with him over it he said he had them there for over a week.

My advice is to dust it off and place on a nice shelf ... enjoy it... Do not let it go to waste.

OH yes... almost forgot...

Make sure to rub the belly of the Buddha.. it is considered good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
captain flintlock

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... but now days buying is "taboo" so audience has become very limited and abundance of antique ivory has overwhelmed an already saturated market so price has gone to zip...
and even on Ebay it is banned as far as I know.

No one wants it... or anything to do with it.

Saw TWO of these similar carvings at flea market last month for sale at a dealers booth... FOR 10 dollars each... and when I talked with him over it he said he had them there for over a week.

My advice is to dust it off and place on a nice shelf ... enjoy it... Do not let it go to waste.

OH yes... almost forgot...

Make sure to rub the belly of the Buddha.. it is considered good luck.

That’s exactly what I did. He sits on one of my shelves and doubt that I sell him. And yes, I did rub his belly!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you list this kind of stuff on the Charter Member Classifieds ??

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
There is still a market for ivory, depending on the item. I sold a carved walrus last year for about $60. I’ve sold ivory at least two times on eBay, but they did stop a sale last year. The walrus was listed as an Alaska Native carving and slipped by.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah eBay put a halt on me also. I even tried the ol faux ivory bit, but they've got snitches trolling the listings to report you. They made it clear to me I could loose my membership if I didn't heed to their warning. Could have got some good money out of this stuff. I guess now I'm a collector of items made of ivory. In the antique mall near by I see ivory jewelry move all the time there. I'd have to give up 50% of the total amount if I consigned it there, unless I open a booth then it's 35% plus monthly space fee.

Attachments

• IMG_20180710_080352.jpg
    IMG_20180710_080352.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 105

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like anything else, it's all in who you know. Heard a couple asking for Ivory pieces a few weeks ago at an estate sale, sold them one piece myself. Saw a man pay $500 for a pair big "fake" Ivory tusk carvings last year at a sale. If I see a piece of ivory for little to nothing, I'll buy it. No reason not to in my opinion.

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks too white to me, to be "antique ivory". Ivory will yellow with age. The carving detail would be much more detailed if it was older. Here's a way to tell if it's "true" ivory or not. https://www.google.com/search?sourc...273k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i20i264k1.0.aKXhNz71dmQ Since you've already had it off the wooden base I would do the "hot needle test" on the under side of the base.

Yellowing actually has to do more with the environment it is in... Particularly smoke.

Carving detail also has nothing to do with authenticity.

This piece is most definitely ivory beyond a shadow of a doubt without further testing... just from pictures posted it is obvious to those with extensive knowledge of Ivory.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS... "fake" ivory will never have "opposing lines"

Lines in fake items such as "ivorine plastic"... will always have lines that all run in one direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread