J. Bibb and I go: Dig "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
J. Bibb and I go: Dig "A"way behind the Confederate Lines! VIDEOS ADDED

What's up guys. These are my better finds from the previous two hunts. The first dig I went back to the Civil War Camp that I dug a lot of goodies off of and figured I’d try to dig a few more items. I was there about 10 minutes and had an Eagle button and two Minies in the pouch when I got a Button signal that was hitting abit ‘irony’. It was a solid signal though and barely a couple inches down. Well, I found out the reason it was sounding irony as soon as the plug was turned over and saw that Iron-Backed Confederate Block “A” staring back at me! That made my day and makes the 2nd Block A found on TNet in a months time as my good friend Civilman found himself one as well up in Maryland (Congrats again man). Rounded the day out with a few more bullets.
Then I invited my good friend James Bibb back down to have another go round behind the Confederate Lines at a Civil War battle site that I have where there's also a colonial hotspot. We stopped off at a couple sites first though, on a nice property across from another where I’d dug some nice Colonial and War of 1812 items. The first 5 minutes there I popped out a Ferdinand VII One Reale (Counterfeit) and then nothing else came up…..that’s how it sometimes goes….that and a significant portion of the property had been ruined with gravel…..
So we headed off to the other site, behind the Confederate Lines where we started to get into those Confederate musketballs and other relics. It began to rain relentlessly on us after about an hour of digging but NO MATTER, our blood was up, and we kept right on digging as if it was a nice warm sunny spring day :icon_sunny: ;D and by the end of the day, we both had a good amount of relics; several bullets, some buttons, I got a threaded piece from a Bormann Fuse from where they were exploding behind the Confederate lines and some other stuff. Found some strap ends that still had all the enamel on them in a colonial area of the site that was used between the 1600s thr. mid-1700s and a beautiful ornate buckle also popped out from about 11 inches down and MADE MY DAY...so without further delay....

Here’s the rest of the finds:

Beautiful Double Oval Buckle from the 1600's site and other finds fresh from the Pouch:
MDPicBlockA.jpg

MDPicBlockA2.jpg

MDPics 016.jpg

Confederate Block "A" Coat Button

Front:
MDPics 019.jpg

Back:
MDPics 020.jpg

Group Shot: of the U.S. Ordnance Cuff Button, 1819 Ferdinand VII One-Reale, Confederate Block "A" and Eagle Buttons
MDPics 029.jpg

MDPics 040.jpg

MDPics 044.jpg

MDPics 047.jpg

MDPics 048.jpg

MDPics 049.jpg

MDPics 051.jpg

Upvote 0

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
Re: J. Bibb and I go: Diggin' "A"way behind the Confederate Lines!

hey bud! something about that buckles screams reel old? have you gone on the buckle site and id that baby? congrats nice hunting. willy

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

That's some great finds! Good luck next time. HH

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thank's again Josh and a BIG Congrat's on that Block A,one of the hardest Rebe button's to come across :thumbsup: Let me know when you want to hook up down there,haven't cut the bean's in my "yard" yet,couple more week's I guess.Again,congrat's on the A and all the other sweet find's :headbang:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT

Nice Digs, love the 3 ringers.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Josh,
Great relics. Congrats on that "A" button, buckle, and reale. :thumbsup:
What is this piece? :icon_scratch:
-Dug-

Attachments

• MDPics_049.jpg
    MDPics_049.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,468

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Awesome digs Josh. Looks like you and James had a great time. I hope I can make a trip over your way some time now that I am a little closer. I can't make the hunt in Nov but I will be going to the spring hunt so I will see you there if not sooner.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

another awesome hunt Josh!! That buckle does look like some I've dug in the UK. I'm sure one of the guys there can date it for you.

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great saves there Josh! You guys did well there.

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Way to go guys. Well you have dug everything else so go back and get that confederate plate. Has to be one in there. Oh and if you need a body guard.......

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice post josh that spectacle buckle came out awesome from its 12 inches of grave great stuff looking forward to it again!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice buckle :thumbsup:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dfx willy said:
hey bud! something about that buckles screams reel old? have you gone on the buckle site and id that baby? congrats nice hunting. willy

Oh yeah, it came off a colonial site that was used from the mid 1600's through the mid-1700s so its definitely within that time range.

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
-Dug-

Hey Doug, that's the back of the leather strap ends/mounts I was talking about. They are scalloped on the front, found 3 of them, 2 of which were the same size and then a tiny one that was identical except for the size.....I'm assuming they all came of the same set of leather straps.

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cntrydncr1 said:
another awesome hunt Josh!! That buckle does look like some I've dug in the UK. I'm sure one of the guys there can date it for you.
Thanks Nana. It came off a very early colonial site of mine that was used in the 1600s through the mid 1700s

jamesbibb said:
Nice post josh that spectacle buckle came out awesome from its 12 inches of grave great stuff looking forward to it again!

:laughing9: I know that sucker was a good 11-12 inches down in the iron zone ;D

U

umrgolf

Great lookin digs there.. James Bibb will have a lot of fun diggin some of those sites with you :icon_thumleft: Incredible block "A" and spectacle buckle, by the looks of that thing, youd be hard pressed to turn up an older buckle in the US

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good hunt...great buckle. That's an oldie for sure!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

{Sentinel} said:
dfx willy said:

Oh yeah, it came off a colonial site that was used from the mid 1600's through the mid-1700s so its definitely within that time range.

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
-Dug-

Hey Doug, that's the back of the strap ends I was talking about. They are scalloped on the front, found 3 of them, 2 of which were the same size and then a tiny one that was identical except for the size.....I'm assuming they all came of the same set of leather straps.
:notworthy:

Josh that is a super Buckle, Double Loop Oval Buckle :o big date range on that for the US, first used from 1450 up to the late 1600s, the rest is not shabby either...Great diggs Mate :icon_thumleft:

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

{Sentinel} said:
dfx willy said:

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
-Dug-

Hey Doug, that's the back of the strap ends I was talking about. They are scalloped on the front, found 3 of them, 2 of which were the same size and then a tiny one that was identical except for the size.....I'm assuming they all came of the same set of leather straps.
Hi Josh !
These small mounts for leather belts are very common to find in Spain, are shaped Vieira (scallop) and are the emblem of the apostle Saint James, who was in charge of bringing Christianity to Spain , the scallop is the emblem of the Apostle James always carried one with the , nobody knows why,...... perhaps it is because of the scallops grew in the Sea of ​​Galilee and James was fishing in that sea when he met Jesus Christ. :icon_scratch: .....
I have some in my collection, they began making in the Middle Ages but continued to use till the 18th century.
I apologize for this historical and religious scroll I given them ... but it is necessary for proper identification and understanding of to Josh discovery :thumbsup:
Here I show .....

Attachments

• jij 005.JPG
    jij 005.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,316
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
{Sentinel} said:
dfx willy said:

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
-Dug-

Hi Josh !
These small mounts for leather belts are very common to find in Spain, are shaped Vieira (scallop) and are the emblem of the apostle Saint James, who was in charge of bringing Christianity to Spain , the scallop is the emblem of the Apostle James always carried one with the , nobody knows why,...... perhaps it is because of the scallops grew in the Sea of ​​Galilee and James was fishing in that sea when he met Jesus Christ. :icon_scratch: .....
I have some in my collection, they began making in the Middle Ages but continued to use till the 18th century.
I apologize for this historical and religious scroll I given them ... but it is necessary for proper identification and understanding of to Josh discovery :thumbsup:
Here I show .....

Thanks Hispan I did not know that the scallop shape was the symbol of the Apostle James, very interesting. I was surprised when they popped up with all the black enamel still attached to them...they must've been in the ground for 300 years or more given the age of the site.

Silver Searcher said:
{Sentinel} said:
dfx willy said:

ModernMiner said:
Josh,
-Dug-

:notworthy:

Josh that is a super Buckle, Double Loop Oval Buckle :o big date range on that for the US, first used from 1450 up to the late 1600s, the rest is not shabby either...Great diggs Mate :icon_thumleft:

SS

I had no idea that they went back into the 1400's, that's pretty crazy. This site is pretty much at the very epicenter of American History and probably dates from the very early 1600's, but it's like that 1561 Elizabeth Shilling you helped me with, 1500s items can come off these 1600s sites. That buckle was my favorite find of the hunt, definitely made my day!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

civilman1 said:
Thank's again Josh and a BIG Congrat's on that Block A,one of the hardest Rebe button's to come across :thumbsup: Let me know when you want to hook up down there,haven't cut the bean's in my "yard" yet,couple more week's I guess.Again,congrat's on the A and all the other sweet find's :headbang:

Yes Sir, the Block "A" has always been one of my favorite Confederate Buttons. Thanks man :icon_thumleft: :wink: :wink: Yeah we'll hook up real soon, maybe after DIV sometime...we'll talk about it when I see you at DIV in a couple weeks :occasion14:

umrgolf said:
Great lookin digs there.. James Bibb will have a lot of fun diggin some of those sites with you :icon_thumleft: Incredible block "A" and spectacle buckle, by the looks of that thing, youd be hard pressed to turn up an older buckle in the US

Thanks Brutha. That Block A made my day but the buckle definitely made the other day, it came off that very early 1600s site I told you about where you dug your William III Sixpence. I'm saving a big portion of it for when you come down too :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread