J. Russak Bottle, Inks, more

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Went to do another privy dig and found a few keepers. Believe me, these are just a few pics of some of the finds. Don and I found this pit to be around 6 feet deep. We located several plain small medicinesa dna couple of blank slug beers.

After this pit we decided to probe another area that was once a trash dump, although there was a home that stood there at least back to 1893. So we probed and probed until the tip of the probe was worn down. So we went to the 3 foot probe and Don located a possible pit. Decided what the heck, we have nothing to lose but sweat ( it was 90 degrees). Don dug down and at around 3 feet he located this J. Russak bottle. I wish I would have taken a picture of it in situ. It was cool, laying face up so that the embossing was looking straight at us. The ground was hard as a rock so we chipped away with a screwdriver probe until it broke loose. It turned out to be in great shape with no cracks. A couple of very minor chips.

The perplexing part of this bottle is that there is very limited information on it on the net. I did locate one that was found on a ship wreck in the North Sea and another that was for sale in Australia, but thats it. I think its a Bitters bottle. The last two words on the bottle, if you can't read them on the picture are Jamaica and Dresden. Just a cool find in an area where I suppose if we dug everywhere we would come up with stuff. Just so happens that he probed this one spot perfectly. All the other bottles came from the first pit. The J. Russak and larger ink well came out of the same hole. All in all it was a worthwhile dig. Any info that anyone can gather for the Russak would be great. I dig with a guy that has 30 years under his belt and he has never seen anything like it. Thanks for looking jgas

Attachments

• Russak 1.JPG
    Russak 1.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,081
  • Russak 2.JPG
    Russak 2.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Russak 3.JPG
    Russak 3.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Russak 4.JPG
    Russak 4.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Russak 5.JPG
    Russak 5.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Russak 6.JPG
    Russak 6.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,074
  • Russak 7.JPG
    Russak 7.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Russak 8.JPG
    Russak 8.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Russak 9.JPG
    Russak 9.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Russak 10.JPG
    Russak 10.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,053
  • Russak 11.JPG
    Russak 11.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,050
  • Russak 12.JPG
    Russak 12.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,063
Upvote 2

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't signed in, but had to to let you know that you did great.......what a great collection of
old glass. So impressive and beautiful. I find a few glass artifacts here in Korea....but nothing that
can compare with that shown on this post. Keep the dirt flying..... :thumbsup:

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love the "Etc.", on the Pain Expeller bottle!
Carl

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds man.

That Russak bottle of yours is in 10x better shape than the Oz bottle, and he's selling his for $380 AUS!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this snippet in a book. Confirms that its an award winning bitter! Distributed by a company in Melbourne, Aus.

JRussak.jpg

It is a cool bottle, with all the names. Very cool.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been out digging again and forgot :icon_scratch: to check back with the replies. Thanks for the info on the Russak bottle. Yep, this thing is in real good shape. Just trying to narrow it down as far as maker and where from. I have seen some stuff like this from Germany, Russia and now Melbourne...Hmmm....I don't know. I think it could really be a rare one. I hope so....to be continued....Thanks again for all the help and the replies... :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies guys. Yep that darn J. Russak is still a bit of a mystery bottle. I have heard everything from getting ahold of an auction house for it to an Australian chap that may want it. I wish I could narow it down a bit more as far as the age, maker, where from etc....I think you guys are right though as far as it being a Bitters. But how rare is this baby. I hope it's fairly rare. What would you guys suggest as far as market value or where to send it for appraisal?? Thanks again averyone, jgas

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
That bitters is awesome. The only thing that could possibly make it better would be if it were blue, but either way it's freaking cool. Polish that thing up and put it up on a shelf.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking finds jgas! :icon_thumright: I always found it amazing that some glass comes out of the ground after 100+ years and it looks as good as the day that it was dumped! Love the finger oil lamp (c1880 - 90) and the ink wells. With a #2 size collar and a threaded oil filler cap that finger lamp would be as good as new . . . so to speak! :wink:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jgas said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Yep that darn J. Russak is still a bit of a mystery bottle. I have heard everything from getting ahold of an auction house for it to an Australian chap that may want it. I wish I could narow it down a bit more as far as the age, maker, where from etc....I think you guys are right though as far as it being a Bitters. But how rare is this baby. I hope it's fairly rare. What would you guys suggest as far as market value or where to send it for appraisal?? Thanks again averyone, jgas
Jgas post your find here I guarntee you'll get the answers your wanting to know...

http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/default.asp

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks guys, Creeper, I did post it on that site and they have not figured it out yet. It figures I would find a decent bottle and no one has ever seen it before! Or very few have at best. It is a mystery bottle for sure. The search continues. I guess half the fun is the research but this is ridiculous :tongue3: Thanks again guys. jgas

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
jgas said:
Thanks guys, Creeper, I did post it on that site and they have not figured it out yet. It figures I would find a decent bottle and no one has ever seen it before! Or very few have at best. It is a mystery bottle for sure. The search continues. I guess half the fun is the research but this is ridiculous :tongue3: Thanks again guys. jgas

Not being able to figure it out right away can be a really good sign :wink:

Very nice finds.

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks ScmDing, yea I thought the same way actually. Maybe it will turn out to be a really rare find. I hope so. Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup: Jgas

xanthea

Jan 29, 2005
Hi Guys!

Dont get to post much, but we dug one of these Russack bottles over the weekend as well. Unfortunately ours is in not so great condition..still whole but lots of cracks etc..

Meerkat

OP
OP
jgas

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey Xanthea, where abouts are you when you dug one of the Russak bottles? If ya don't mind me asking. Thanks. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread