Jack Is Back!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
At the insistence of my better half, we got a real pumpkin this year. For the past few years, whether to avoid the mess or simply for lack of time, planning, or desire, we forego'd the real pumpkin ordeal in favor of a lighted "Plastic" pumpkin for our Halloween decorations. This year, however, while at the local orchard getting fresh apples and pears, we got a fair sized REAL pumpkin. "We" picked it out. I packed it to the car and then into the house, where it sat for a couple of weeks. Last night "We" (meaning *I*) carved it. My wife had bought one of those little pumpkin carving kits complete with the rinky dink saw/knifes a scraper, a drill and a set of generic patterns. Some of the patterns would be difficult for even an experienced and steady hand to carve. Very Very intricate and fine cutting involved. Nuh UH! I went with my own design.. someone generic, but original all the same. I first drew the design lightly on the pumpkin surface free hand until my wife liked the design. I then outlined the design with a carving tool (Not the cheapy little kit that my wife purchased (bless her heart) but rather an X-acto carving kit tool that I have left over from many years of model building in my ancient past. Then, as the artists and sculptors say, I uncovered the work.. removed the stuff that was covering up what was supposed to be. <grin> (Oh.. I left out the bit where I crowned our pumpkin and let my wife gut it before we began the carving process.. she was thrilled.) "How come I get the icky part?" <grin>
I would just as soon have let her carve her own pumpkin, but she wanted me to do it. So, I did. Here's the results. I took the pictures in the dark with the "pumpkin" light on inside of our Jack-o-lantern. The light is pretty cool, LED the size of a "stick up" light but it changes colors. That purchase was also made by my wife.. Cool!. <grin>
10-25-08Pumpkin-08.jpg

10-25-08Pumpkin-08-2.jpg

.... Ok.. so it's not the scariest pumpkin that you've ever seen, wasn't supposed to be scary actually, and it's not the most intricate or unique pumpkin you can find.. but it is original and it's "REAL" as my wife proclaims.
Happy Halloween Everyone!

Frodov

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I love it!! Real pumpkins are always far better in my opinion even with all the yucky that comes with it! lol You did a mighty fine job...he looks great!

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Alas.. poor Jack is failing fast. Just a little over a week since his reemergence into this world and already he looks as if the grave (compost heap) is whispering his name. That's kind of scary since there are many a morning of late that I feel EXACTLY the way he's looking now... <shudder> Here's a few pics of him.. both before and after.. or before and NOW I should say.

10-31-08 001Val& Jack.jpg

Copy of 11-09-08 001.jpg

JackBeforeAndAfter.JPG

It's been good to know you Jack.. see you next year perhaps.. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread