Jackpot on a Mountain bike

White Nutz

Greenie
Aug 6, 2008
Ferndale Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well now most might wonder what possible jackpot one could actually have in a lousy bike but for me it is GOLD. I used to ride a lot as a youngster..chasing kissses from my first girlfriend meant me hopping a ten speeed Schwinn Varsity and then a Continental for 17 miles one way. AHH youth! Anyhow over the years I have owned bikes and never seemed to use them.Energy never seemed to be part of the daily grind. Well Now at least I know why. Narcolepsy and Sleep Apnea to the tune of getting 1 and 1/2 hours of sleep if I laid down for 8 . Yikes....So gaining weight a little each year was my pattern. I am 5' 11" and weigh 250 and now at least some of it is becoming muscle. Using my CPAP machine at night means I get rest.
So what about this bike.....? I bought a bike from a nice neighbor who was a fellow Jeeper so we had something in common . I see this bike a his yardsale and he wanted $100.00 for it. Since I have not worked {truck driving and Narcolepsy don't mix} in 4 years money like a hunded dollars has been scarce lately. I saw some quality in the bike though and bought it since he had said it was a $3000.00 dollar bike. Well that seemed way outa possiblity and I wrote it off as a myth. Since I weighed more than most bikers and this bike seemed real light I asked questions about it on a mounain bike forum. Before morning I found out I had a real GEM. I had 2 offers for $1500.00 for the frame alone. I had bought a Bontrager Ti Lite. A Titanium Hardtail bike that Keith Bontrager made only 700 or so of. He is the guy that TREK bikes bought out and they sell any and every component to add to your bike with his name on them. Actually with the upgrades the bike probably sold for $4000.00 new and since its Titanium welded by some of the best in the industry the bike will be around when my sons grandsons give to theirs. The Titanium aspect is cool only because besides the material used to build it the bike is touted as the "HOLY GRAIL" of hardtail bikes. Apparently when you ride this bike it delivers all your effort to the rear wheel . In case anyone does not know a hardtail is a bike with no rear suspension and a suspension fork in the front. I now ride this bike and it is a dream but I have yet to hit a dirt trail with it . My 6 year old son goes to school full days in 2 weeks or so and I am free to get into shape while truly being pampered with a bike that won't have me being that old guy in the way everytime. I know I won't be able to compete with the youth out there everyday but they better be aware of the fact that I don't take to losing easily. So I will be on a mission to win in a timely manner. Mainly though I am going to be able to lose weight while reviviing something I always loved doing anyway, riding a decent bike. So much better than my efforts on my Concept II rower. As sweet as the rower is that I got free off the craigslist riding is so much more rewarding to a guy who has been homebound for 4 years. Going places when gas is costing like it is is not responsible so I have been dying for a bike that was somewhere near what my weight and abilties could appreciate .Well I have it. Thanks for reading this far. Michael
P.S. the bike in the picture is of another one....I live in Michigan. And that don't look like a local shot....LOL

Attachments

• 52215973_c4876f724b_o.jpg
    52215973_c4876f724b_o.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,961

Locke

Oct 16, 2007
That's a beauty. Congrats on a great buy. When my old boss moved he left me a pair of never used matching Schwin bikes. (I looked it up and they ran about 500 each). Again congrats :thumbsup:

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
:thumbsup:
You SCORED with that one man. Parting it out would make you about $4500!!! But if you are getting in shape riding it, forget the cash and keep getting into shape. I have apnea as well and it plays hell on the heart. Not sure of your age but I know none of us are getting any younger.
Great job on your research as well!
~Nash~

OP
OP
W

White Nutz

Greenie
Aug 6, 2008
Ferndale Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well I see I posted the story about this bike twice....Oh well....Anyhow my age is 52. So about the getting younger is correct....And some days I don't even what to think about being as old as you feel cuz then I'd be dead...LOL!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice bike and if it were mine, I'd sell it to the highest bidder. You could buy a really nice Mountain bike for a couple hundred dollars and put the rest in Ford stock. Somebody is apt to gun you down for that bike as valuable as it is. Just my 2 cents worth. :wink:

ShortBil

Aug 27, 2008
Champion Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Walmart dont sell bikes! All I have ever seen in any box store is" bicycle looking objects" and one size fits most ??? Just my 2 cents! Really nice bike Nutz! Is the fork a Z2 atom race? I hope you get to ride alot!

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
wal mart bikes weigh a ton, bet that u can pick up with a finger, if u are going trails you may want to put a liner over the tube or go thorn proof, sweet bike !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread