Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RKinOI said:
Exactly, Reinactors are not working a scam so why would they wear buckles that have been tampered with to look old?

Do you plan on setting the record straight once "you" are 100% convinced one way or the other. I think that's really the only thing anyone expects of you. A lot of honest people lose money every year to artificially aged reproductions.

You really need to have them checked piece by piece, that way you'll be completely satisfied.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RKinOI said:
Exactly, Reinactors are not working a scam so why would they wear buckles that have been tampered with to look old?

Do you have documents saying these Were Tampered with ?

If Not This is one of the Problems.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill Battle said:
jeff of pa said:
BioProfessor said:
Hi RKinOI,

I have been following and posting to this thread. I don't think there was ever any intention on your part to be part of a scam. I think that just popped up in the thread and it really wasn't fair for anybody to direct that towards you. It was just the way the thread evolved and the people having a "discussion" really between themselves and not contributing to the purpose of the thread - IMOHO.

What I think may have happened is that someone got interested in collecting these things and purchased them, enjoyed them, but after a bit they wound up being stored. Much like a lot of stuff people collect. As many family stories go, this one got the part about his digging them added at some point and it may have just been an assumption by the person who told the story. Happens all the time. If you watch the Antiques Roadshow, you hear over and over. The family story is a really good one and they are sure it is true but it falls apart when the person doing the appraisal sees what they have. So family stories are just that. Stories. Sometimes they are accurate and sometimes they get embellished or have details added to them. Just the way people, families, and stories go.

So I don't think there is any general belief by the people involved in this thread they you are in any way doing anything that can be called a scam. You are simply repeating the family story and asking for help getting them authenticated. Pure and simple.

I hope you are OK with all this. You just got sucked into this by some posters "theorizing' about things not in evidence.

Just my 2 cents.

Daryl

Yep. This is the Reason for the Real/Fake?
Rule.
There is always Someone who Jumps to Conclusions,
and drags others into jumping in
with their accusations.

I Would Support a Real/Fake? Thread
IF those who see a Scam around every
corner Stayed out of it.

I'm a newbie here and it's not my place to question your rules (but I might anyway in a nice way), but if I dug an item, say a Confederate coin, and say I posted it on this forum. Not knowing that these things were produced extensively in the sixties as tourist items, I might think I had the real deal. After all, it had been in the ground for 50 years and had garnered quite a nice patina. Now personally, I would consider it a disservice to me if half the forum knew the thing wasn't genuine, but didn't tell me because it is against the rules. Yes, I know, forum members could contact me privately, but that leaves the other half of the forum that didn't know any better believing that the item is the real deal. And isn't that the purpose of a forum like this, education (besides looking at sweet finds)? Discussing an item's attributes in a constructive, and civil, manner would seem a positive thing to me, and certainly wouldn't arouse my sensitivities in the least if my item was questioned. I saw a gold California coin being discussed in another thread in such a constructive manner, and learned quite a lot from it. JMO

& If someone accused you of altering that coin,
Or knowing it Was, I would
Have a Problem with That Person.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
RKinOI said:

Do you have documents saying these Were Tampered with ?

If Not This is one of the Problems.

Perhaps the person who had the collection was scammed. If proved fake, there's only one reason for it, and it's criminal.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since there is Nothing New to say here
& all that is being posted Are Personal Opinions
on Each other,
This thread is now Locked