Jackson digger

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought others would be interested in this digger I just picked up. It's the Jackson 7 in 1 VersaPlanter.

This digger is rugged, high quality, FULL TANG stainless steel with a leather holster ( with a plastic type insert) and it's fairly cheap, just $22 and change at Amazon.
The blade itself is sharp. It has a fine blade edge, a serrated blade edge and the tip is pronged and sharp.

Jackson 002.JPG Jackson 005.JPG Jackson 007.JPG Jackson 013.JPG

I would say the only negatives for me are the holster has a clip rather than a full loop.
Also, the base of the holster is fully enclosed. Which I can see collecting and holding dirt over a period of time.

Jackson 009.JPG Jackson2 002.JPG

The manufacturers website is Jackson® - VersaPlanter

This is the Amazon link for purchase Amazon.com: Ames True Temper 2504000 Jackson Seven-in-One VersaPlanter Garden Multi-Tool: Patio, Lawn & Garden

HH

Another thing, the blade shows 1" measurements for a total of 5". On the side of the handle, the measurements resume from 7" to 10".
The over all length of the unit is 12" total.

Jackson 014.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of things i should have noted. This digger has a limited lifetime warranty.

It is also a cousin to the "Ames True Temper Planter Buddy" that is sold at Lowes and can be found at places like eBay. It's A lil cheaper
but from my understanding the planter Buddy isn't as strong as the Jackson.

Both are made by the same company but the Jackson is a professional landscaping model.

Planter Buddy
199.Ames_true_temper_7_in_1.jpg

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the one at lowes and although it is great at cutting and digging in general it bent where the handle meets the blade to almost a 90 degree angle on my third outing when i hit some hard dirt and had to use leverage. how much stronger is the jackson?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jocap

jocap

Mar 8, 2007
NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ames/Lowes model isn't completely "full tang" metal ( at least that's my understanding). The Lowes model is built for the DIYer. The Jackson is actually a professional landscaping tool.

If you look closely at the pictures of both tools, you can see that the Lowes unit has a fully molded plastic handle where as the Jackson has solid stainless steel to the top. I suspect the Lowes unit has a partial metal into the plastic handle.

I've been around tools all my life and I can tell you this Jackson feels as if it would need a large lever pipe used on it to give it a 90 degree bend at the handle like that. The metal on this thing is just under a 1/4 thick.

That said, I have used a Predator Tools Lesche #85 for a long time. I purchased this Jackson because of the quality in which it was built and for the price. Always good to have a back up and in certain situations, this Jackson should work out better than the Lesche because of how sharp it is and the scoop type trowel blade as compared to the Lesche.

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the Jackson at Sears online for $35.00 will let you know how it works out.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one at Home depot ,on the clearence rack for $3 and after digging about 4 holes and it broke,it was now worth about 3 cents.:laughing7: ,save your money and buy something made in America.

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
update on the Jackson. I ordered it from Sears & they have discontinued it for sale. I found it & ordered it online from a company called Landscaper Store for $33.99 each & if you buy two you get free shipping. Will post a update as soon as I get my hands on one. I bought two one for me & one for my buddy.

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to add Amazon is out of stock & can not tell you if & when they will ever get it back in stock for sale. Found the best price at Landscaper Store. $33.99

DurkaDigger

Apr 15, 2013
AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 & XP Deus with a Whites TRX and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was considering one but I found a lesche for $36 shipped. So for 2-3 dollars... Well I will go with the lesche. Not to say its the end all tool but as close to the same price as the Jackson, I would need to see more benefit.

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a Lesche also use it all the time but wanting to try the Jackson because the canadians highly praise it for detecting in Canada. Never hurts to have a back up for that just in case moment. Will keep all posted on the Jackson as soon as I get my hands on it.

sketch008

Greenie
Apr 18, 2013
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Bounty Hunter / Platinum
Garrett / Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're probably right about the Planter Buddy not being strong enough. I just snapped the blade clean off the handle on mine pulling up a plug. I got a good month of use out of it before it happened though. Gonna see if the warranty will replace it for me.

A couple of things i should have noted. This digger has a limited lifetime warranty.

It is also a cousin to the "Ames True Temper Planter Buddy" that is sold at Lowes and can be found at places like eBay. It's A lil cheaper
but from my understanding the planter Buddy isn't as strong as the Jackson.

Both are made by the same company but the Jackson is a professional landscaping model.

Planter Buddy
View attachment 629278

n800

Jul 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will back the Jackson Versaplanter as one of the best hand shovels on the market. It is a bit on the heavy side but it is super strong and it stays razor sharp. If you can find one grab it up....you wont be disappointed.

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update again on the Jackson. Landscaper store had to refund my order due to the manufacturer is discontinuing the Jackson digger knife. Just my luck. Oh well I do have a Lesche & a Garrett digger knife so they will have to due for now. If any one finds the Jackson still in stock buy it.

hopefulgold

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contacted the manufacturer that makes Jackson & they are discontinuing the Jackson all together. I guess I will not get to try one after all.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update again on the Jackson. Landscaper store had to refund my order due to the manufacturer is discontinuing the Jackson digger knife. Just my luck. Oh well I do have a Lesche & a Garrett digger knife so they will have to due for now. If any one finds the Jackson still in stock buy it.
If you have a Lesche & a Garrett digger,why would you need anything else? Except a shovel?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this 1 up from lowes before I got my garret digger ill tell ya best $10 I ever spent cuts plugs very smooth along with any root

ForumRunner_20130516_210125.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread