Jackson's military road

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher: I ran across this "Andrew Jackson was in Pensacola when he heard that British ships were in the Mississippi Gulf. He hastily made his way to Mobile, then to New Orleans, where he put together a rag-tag army that included 600 Free Men of Color, Baratarians, Choctaw Indians, and convicts, along with regular militia from several Southern states." This is not where the "Jackson's Military Road" came in. I really think it may have been U.S. HWY 11. Just to let know I will keep looking.

OP
OP
F

Fisher-

Greenie
Oct 4, 2017
Forrest county
Detector(s) used
1265x
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok. So I went back to tatums journal so I could have a better understanding that way I wouldn't be confusing people trying to help me.�� Prime example of if you want to learn something always start at the front instead of jumping out in the middle. Jackson's road did come from Jackson and the reason I'm finding 1812 relics where I've been posting about is because of troops coming from Columbia Mississippi headed to meet Jackson in mobile which would also make sense according to your post about him putting a quick army together. One thing I also found out a few years back that I thought was pretty interesting was after had killed so many Indians he came to a Indian village in Florida one evening a found all of them slaughtered. Except for the little baby that the dead mother had clinched in her arms. He took the baby and tried finding a family for him and no one would take him so he adopted him and he ended up dying at 16 from tb. I thought that was pretty interesting. Oh yeah. "Wanna be treasure hunter". What does (OP) stand for?? Obvious professional?

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here it is.
JMR - Entire Route.jpg

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the book today, but there is very little to do with Mississippi. The battle maps are of the Battle of New Orleans, (several I have never seen), Horseshoe Bend, Alabama, and Talledega, Alabama. They show routes, battle positions, camp sites, etc... I guess Jackson did not like the Indians as well as the British.

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have been researching Jackson's Military Road in Franklin and Marion County Alabama. Major James Dorman was in charge of building it here. He died in 1819 and his grave is in a secluded spot in Franklin county. But I believe his real burial spot is not the spot that where his tombstone was placed in the 1920's or 30's.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alabama: I have the maps of House Shoe and Talledega, nothing about Dorman and no county lines.

murgatroyd

Mar 18, 2009
MS
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher,
They may have crossed the Leaf river at the MCCALLUM COMMUNITY had its beginning about the year 1808.
This is just east of Enon. Good Luck with your search.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jackson came to Louisiana in 1813, from fighting the Indiana in Alabama. Jackson's Road is now basically, U.S. 11.

Jay Banta

Apr 17, 2018
Biloxi, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher- I know the road you are looking for. It’s the old federal road that went from Natchez to Washington DC. The maps I looked at show it in the area of present day HWY 26. But not all of 26 was that road. There is part of the original road that goes through McClain, MS. The map I saw was dated 1816 and is online from the state historical people. The road I saw was marked on the map as “Federal Road”. The section I saw went from Ft. St. Stephens in Alabama through Columbia, MS and on to Natchez. Hope this helps some.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions