Jacksonville Florida area

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
I will be in Jacksonville FL soon for a couple of weeks. I would like to try MDing on the beach.
Being from Kansas, my experience on beach hunting is practically zero.
I use a Whites XLT. I am in hopes you all might have some suggestions or tips to help me out.
I am wondering about such things as places, tides, laws in that area.

Thanks a million for any help.
~KANSAS~

Upvote 0

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
As for rules, you should check out each state under the Legal Issues forum as each state is different and as far as tides, the Weather Channel will work for that. Places I don't know that one, sorry HH

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
beaches get hunted a lot.I mean a lot most everyday by someone,so if your going to find anything of value you must dig every non- iron signal.I haven't hunted that area but most beaches don't have a lot of trash compared to a city park.Also you don't need a coin probe or a digging knife for the sand. a small sand scoop will be a big help.

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Thanks for the info and taking the time to reply.
I am sure it will be fun even if I dont find much of anything.

~KANSAS~

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
if you are using the whites Lt stay in the dry sand or you will get all kinds of noise from the salt i tried it on wet sand on a salt water beach and it went crazy the noise was unbearable. the false readings on the screen was unbelievable. if you are going to hunt salt water beaches very much and you can afford it get an Excalibur. they are worth the money and will pay for them self in know time. mine has.good luck hunting.

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Thanks Frogsmile for the dry sand info. Unfortunately I am only going to be there for 2 weeks and then I have to get back to the dirt in Kansas.

~KANSAS~

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Jax Bch is fine. I've lived here for 40 years and find stuff everytime I go. However, if you want to increase your chances of finding better things, go down to St. Augustine beaches behind all the condos. Lots more to find. Jax beach has it's share of condos, but gets hunter alot more than St. Augustine. And while your there, you can site see.. ;D

GaBeaSwpr

May 1, 2006
Appling Georgia
Kansas, take care to keep your electronics from exposure to sand and water. You should be able to hunt most any public access beach in Jax area. Just don't mess with any State Park areas.
Jim

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Thanks Jim, I will be carefull about that.
Jvillehunter, I think I will try St. Augustine. I have been hunting the last 3 days around 14th St. and I have yet to see another hunter. I kind of figured I might be in a poor location, however I am limited pretty much to dry sand using the XLT.
Thanks for the help !
Kansas

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
kansas is that the older xlt or the newer "e" series? Ivan you should be able to use it on salt water areas if so.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
hows this for a tip -1711 spanish nao (merchant ship) lost at 30 degrees 20 min

she was home bound from havana to spain most likely had at least some silver on her ---30 /20 where she was listed lost at today just happens to be the modern day atlantic beach fishing pier ---where surfer types also hang out ---chances for modern beach lizards and surfers jewelery and a possiblity of old stuff if the wreck hit shore or went down close by to shore ---its not listed how close or far it was when it went down---could be close to shore or miles off shore as only the latitude is given ---however it does say "lost ON the florida coast" --based on that it most likely was on shore or a close to shore wreck (I hope)---got this info from steven d. singers "shipwrecks of florida" ---hey its worth a shot who knows? Ivan

OP
OP
Kansas

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
Ivan..... It is the Spectrum XLT. I am not sure if that is the newer E series or not.
It has a beach mode, but that doesn't seem to help in the wet sand.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if it has a "beach mode" its just a matter of tweaking it. then you'll be good to go.Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
did you get it from kellyco? if so call em

even if you didn't--- try calling them --they have guys and gals that well help you set up your machine to run right --if your machine has a beach mode then it should be usible / stable in the beach area. should just be a matter of adjusting it properly. Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
if you want to hunt together --give me a ring ---got a good spot in callahan

planning in hitting it tomorrow afternoon with a friend of mine --give me a call if you want hunt the area might be hitting some 1778 era type stuff from a battle ---battle of alligator creek one of only 3 florida battles between the british and american forces two happened very close (a few miles)to my home. while rather small in size they were important.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
well how did it go/ is it going in st. augustine? any luck?

just wondering ---my friend didn't get to go saturday swo I canceled my hunt till later.Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread