Jailed While Treasure Hunting?

Have You Ever Been Jailed Due To or During A Treasure Hunt?

• Nope, Never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yep, Been There

• Almost

• Total voters

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Feds have been applying the National Antiquities Act, which says you can't remove anything from public lands made by the hand of man and over 100 years old. They exempted arrow heads and minie balls if found on top of the ground. The state of Georgia has passed a law that requires you to have the landowners written permission and the written permission must be on your person anytime you are hunting the property. Alabama tried to pass a law that said all artifacts were considered state property, even on privately owned land. It was, thankfully, defeated. I guess just be careful or use cammo.

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
I hear in the Pull Tab police will arrest you in some states,on park land .... Even if they find a metal detector in your trunk... Urban legend?? Not sure ,but don't want to find out!!!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I have never been arrested for metal detecting, but I have had the cops make warrant checks on me a few times while doing so.

I believe Perry Massie of the Outdoor Channel was indicted once for supposedly steeling a Civil War-era rifle out of the Alabama River near Selma. If you want the whole story just quarry in any search engine the term “Perry Massie indicted for steeling Civil War-era rifle”.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Oh yeah, and then there was member on T-net that showed some lady his arrow heads and or Indian artifacts. She happened to work for the Law and after she asked him to sell something he was arrested.

To make it short, it went something like that, but not exactly. Somebody might remember him posting the story. If my memory serves me correctly, the incident happened down in Florida.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Yes, and so too are their freak incidents of drivers roughed up and thrown in jail for a simple tail light out.

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Tom_in_CA said:
Yes, and so too are their freak incidents of drivers roughed up and thrown in jail for a simple tail light out.

I was pulled over once, This is way before I got into metal detecting. Anyway, I asked the officer why he pulled me over? He told me to get out of the car and come look at my rear tail light.. It wasn't even all the way out. Only the bottom quarter of it was dim.. Then the officer said there was suspicious activity in the area and he wanted to search my car. I told him "I would rather you not". "I have to meet a friend of mine, and I am running late", but he would not take no for an answer..

So he made me wait outside my car and he proceeded to search. He went at it for a good 15 minutes... While he was searching my car another officer pulled up and came over to guard me, I guess. Then the friend I was on my way to meet drove by. He must of got tired of waiting for me... My friend saw me and said "hey whats going on".... The officer guarding me yelled back and said "get out of here". So my friend drove off..

By this time the officer searching my car was finished.. He walked over and said if he could write tickets for dirty cars he would have written me up.... I was driving a Cadillac Coup De ville. There was a little pocket in the bottom of the passenger side used for storage and what not, by the feet, it happen to be filled with real dirty water.. lol the cop had put his hands right in it .....

Then he said have a good night your free to go.....While trying to dry his wet dirty hands.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
jraven, yup, while that is extremely rare, it does sometimes happen (hey, the cops just got a job to do :o) Heck, people who've done less than you, have even been put in jail! Like, maybe the cop will say "he made a threatening move towards me" (when all you did was reach for your registration), blah blah blah. But even though we read of freak incidents like those, none of us fears driving. We just reasonably assume that as long as we are not doing something that's against the posting (speed limits, U-turns, etc...) that the odds of being caught up in some "over-zealous cop thing", are going to be soooo rare, as to be no concern.

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
jraven said:
Tom_in_CA said:

I was pulled over once, This is way before I got into metal detecting. Anyway, I asked the officer why he pulled me over? He told me to get out of the car and come look at my rear tail light.. It wasn't even all the way out. Only the bottom quarter of it was dim.. Then the officer said there was suspicious activity in the area and he wanted to search my car. I told him "I would rather you not". "I have to meet a friend of mine, and I am running late", but he would not take no for an answer..

So he made me wait outside my car and he proceeded to search. He went at it for a good 15 minutes... While he was searching my car another officer pulled up and came over to guard me, I guess. Then the friend I was on my way to meet drove by. He must of got tired of waiting for me... My friend saw me and said "hey whats going on".... The officer guarding me yelled back and said "get out of here". So my friend drove off..

By this time the officer searching my car was finished.. He walked over and said if he could write tickets for dirty cars he would have written me up.... I was driving a Cadillac Coup De ville. There was a little pocket in the bottom of the passenger side used for storage and what not, by the feet, it happen to be filled with real dirty water.. lol the cop had put his hands right in it .....

Then he said have a good night your free to go.....While trying to dry his wet dirty hands.
there are always some bad apples in the bunch. when i was young i had this real sharp '57 ford fairlane 500 convertable. white with gold side trim. nice. any how, the coppers pulled me over a lot. after a walk around most said, just wanted to see your ride. once in a while, a lame excuse like "your license plate looked dirty. yeah, right!

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Tom_in_CA said:
jraven, yup, while that is extremely rare, it does sometimes happen (hey, the cops just got a job to do :o) Heck, people who've done less than you, have even been put in jail! Like, maybe the cop will say "he made a threatening move towards me" (when all you did was reach for your registration), blah blah blah. But even though we read of freak incidents like those, none of us fears driving. We just reasonably assume that as long as we are not doing something that's against the posting (speed limits, U-turns, etc...) that the odds of being caught up in some "over-zealous cop thing", are going to be soooo rare, as to be no concern.

Yes I hear ya, I'm willing to do almost anything for the law. Sometimes tho if you even so much as look at a cop the wrong way. He is going to pull you over...........Oh well

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
flyinguy said:
jraven said:
Tom_in_CA said:
there are always some bad apples in the bunch. when i was young i had this real sharp '57 ford fairlane 500 convertable. white with gold side trim. nice. any how, the coppers pulled me over a lot. after a walk around most said, just wanted to see your ride. once in a while, a lame excuse like "your license plate looked dirty. yeah, right!

Nice car!!!! Flyinguy, bet you had some good times in that baby.............

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
jraven said:
flyinguy said:
jraven said:
Tom_in_CA said:

it was a sweet thing! as things go, i got married and babies and building a house, (my ex loves it) i was tight for money. i had to sell her. i made the new owner promise to never turn it in to parts. i bought it from a judge in 72. he had bought it new in 57. wide white wall tires and all. he had them replaced once. it had 37000 miles on it when i got it. real clean. 292 t-bird engine. 4 barrel carb. speedometer went to 160. a crazy 18 year old put her up to 135 one time! she was still climbing and i got a little scairt. i'm still alive and i road bikes for 8 yrs. i have flown ultra light for 9 now. i told the wife i want another bike. she said they are dangerous. i fly! my machine is very safe. good maintenance, common sense. this was a treasure story! Bill (oh yeah, what a chick magnet!)

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
I've waved at cops and firemen since I was little, still do at 50 yo. Couple of times they've flipped a U to pull me over and ask why I;m flagging them down. Just saying Hi I tell em. The ones on regular patrol often recognise me and wave too. In the Corp if you enter a building with Officers present out of respect you greet them, I've carried that over to Police/ Firemen I see around town. Nothing wrong with making eyecontact and saying Good Morning Gentlemen.

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
flyinguy said:
jraven said:
flyinguy said:
jraven said:
Tom_in_CA said:

it was a sweet thing! as things go, i got married and babies and building a house, (my ex loves it) i was tight for money. i had to sell her. i made the new owner promise to never turn it in to parts. i bought it from a judge in 72. he had bought it new in 57. wide white wall tires and all. he had them replaced once. it had 37000 miles on it when i got it. real clean. 292 t-bird engine. 4 barrel carb. speedometer went to 160. a crazy 18 year old put her up to 135 one time! she was still climbing and i got a little scairt. i'm still alive and i road bikes for 8 yrs. i have flown ultra light for 9 now. i told the wife i want another bike. she said they are dangerous. i fly! my machine is very safe. good maintenance, common sense. this was a treasure story! Bill (oh yeah, what a chick magnet!)

Gotta love the chick magnets!!! Good thing she didn't get pulled over doing 135 hehe.. That would of been a nice ticket . :evil5:

harristammy520

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2008
cheshire mass
Detector(s) used
hunter 11000
YES I NEW SOME ONE THAT DID GO TO JAIL. HE WAS METAL DECT ON A MEMORAL PARK. FIST DEGREE FELONY. ONE YEAR IN STATE . HE WAS A POLICE OFFICER TOO. HE DIDN'T KNOW THAT LAW. LOOK UP YOUR STATE LAWS.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
harrisstammy, what's a "memorial park"? One year in "state"? State what? Penitentiary? Please do tell (w/o caps) what you're referring to.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
While your at it METAL DECT and FIST DEGREE sound like cruel and unusual punishment, unless your into that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions