JAPANESE PORCELAIN... NEED HELP

808beginnerdigger

Mar 8, 2010
Aloha Everyone!... On a recent bottle dig here on Oahu - Hawaii, I found this nice Japanese dish that is like no other I've seen. It has 5 manufacturing marks that looks to have had stand or a pedestal attached. The bottom is also very different as it appears to have sat on another piece. It is 5-1/8" inches in diameter and 1-1/4" inch high. There were bottles dated around the early 1900's coming out of the same area. Lots of other oriental porcelain pieces were also found but all majorly damaged but nothing similar to this.

The dig was posted in our Hawaii Forum. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,404653.0.html

I would sure like to see how this would look with it all pieces put together. Mahalo! Nate

Attachments

• JAPANESE PORCELAIN (1).JPG
    JAPANESE PORCELAIN (1).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 431
  • JAPANESE PORCELAIN (2).JPG
    JAPANESE PORCELAIN (2).JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 698
  • JAPANESE PORCELAIN (4).JPG
    JAPANESE PORCELAIN (4).JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 510
  • JAPANESE PORCELAIN (5).JPG
    JAPANESE PORCELAIN (5).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 364

motherjunker

Oct 1, 2012
Nashville, TN (from NH)
Detector(s) used
None (yet)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Nate,

I'm not sure of the mark. I don't know much about them. HOWEVER those 5 marks are called stilt marks, spur marks or prong marks. If you do a search, you will find info. These marks are from the dishes being stacked on top of each other in the kiln, and they usually signify a VERY old dish - especially if Asian.
Good luck! I am also researching a possibly Asian piece of pottery.

Chris

alimoff

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to identify the maker of this satsuma vase, my Grandmother has had it for at least 70 years, I am having difficulty finding any information about the mark on the bottom, . p1120925.jpg p1120927.jpg p1120930.jpg

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the character at the bottom looks like ĺ…­ it means 6 in chinese. hope this helps. happy Treaure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread